Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Painting Over My Decals

Attached is a link to a thread that I can find on google search but not find searching IRV2.com. I am getting ready to do this in the next few weeks followed by an application of ZEP to my rig.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/paint...ls-261418.html

It appears pretty straightforward. Anyone else done this lately? The link ends a few years ago so I wondered if anyone else had tips on this.

We are going to change the colors of the original decals and are thinking of matching the front cap seam covers (see the link below for my post about those
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fron...rs-393430.html )

to one of the decal colors and not the color of the coach (champagne/tan). Anyone think I am crazy? ....

I can get the paint for the end cap seam cover to match but I was thinking it would be nice to match to a decal rather than the rest of the coach.... ????

Thoughts?
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Zep will yellow.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Did mine about 2 years ago. Recently I thought the paint was getting dull until I pressure washed the RV last weekend and restored the original luster. Was really dirty.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/repai...ml#post3909947
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

I did mine last year and it looks 10 years newer!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
Attached is a link to a thread that I can find on google search but not find searching IRV2.com. I am getting ready to do this in the next few weeks followed by an application of ZEP to my rig.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/paint...ls-261418.html

It appears pretty straightforward. Anyone else done this lately? The link ends a few years ago so I wondered if anyone else had tips on this.

We are going to change the colors of the original decals and are thinking of matching the front cap seam covers (see the link below for my post about those
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fron...rs-393430.html )

to one of the decal colors and not the color of the coach (champagne/tan). Anyone think I am crazy? ....

I can get the paint for the end cap seam cover to match but I was thinking it would be nice to match to a decal rather than the rest of the coach.... ????

Thoughts?
BadBoy's post on painting decals is in the Motorhome General Discussion section, the last reply was at 5:16 on the 26th.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before painting over the decals, why not remove them and then paint. Removal is easy with stripping wheel, remove remaining adhesive with Citris-strip. This will leave ghost lines to mask off the new paint.

Working on mine now, about half finished.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Before painting over the decals, why not remove them and then paint. Removal is easy with stripping wheel, remove remaining adhesive with Citris-strip. This will leave ghost lines to mask off the new paint.

Working on mine now, about half finished.
What paint are you using. ..I'm researching this project right now
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Paint

I am going out to buy paint today. Most of the research I have done shows that people use Krylon, however, they don't specify which Krylon? I am going to use either Color Master or Fusion. Both show they are used on vinyl.

A few folks said they have used Rustoleum but not many. The only long term results I have found are with Krylon.

Earlier someone asked why I do not remove the decals first? I have done that on an earlier coach. It is APITA! Dirty, time consuming and not worth it from what I have read. So, it is worth not doing it as it appears that the results of painting over the decals works well for the 3-5 year range. That is long enough for me.

Bottom line: As most have said, with a few hours of work and $30 most, what have I got to lose? Not much, except cracked and faded decals.....
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
I am going out to buy paint today. Most of the research I have done shows that people use Krylon, however, they don't specify which Krylon? I am going to use either Color Master or Fusion. Both show they are used on vinyl.

A few folks said they have used Rustoleum but not many. The only long term results I have found are with Krylon.

Earlier someone asked why I do not remove the decals first? I have done that on an earlier coach. It is APITA! Dirty, time consuming and not worth it from what I have read. So, it is worth not doing it as it appears that the results of painting over the decals works well for the 3-5 year range. That is long enough for me.

Bottom line: As most have said, with a few hours of work and $30 most, what have I got to lose? Not much, except cracked and faded decals.....
I just bought 3 of these decal erasers to strip as much decal off as I can

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Rubber...over/112554670

Good reviews and less than 1/2 the price of the 3m eraser....actually get 3 for the price of 1 3m

Are you going to paint the storage compartments also. ..?

Post pics when you are done
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #10

Will be following close, as I need to do something with mine
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
I just bought 3 of these decal erasers to strip as much decal off as I can

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Rubber...over/112554670

Good reviews and less than 1/2 the price of the 3m eraser....actually get 3 for the price of 1 3m

Are you going to paint the storage compartments also. ..?

Post pics when you are done

Just a word of caution. I ordered the ABN Eraser wheel to remove my cracked and faded ‘Pace Arrow Vision’ decals’. It left yellow/tannish stains that I couldn’t remove with goo gone, bleach, etc. I tried a slower speed and lightest possible pressure, and it still left the marks on my white fiberglass siding. I guess it wouldn’t matter if you’re going to be painting over the area. My problem is that the replacement decals I ordered aren’t quite the same coverage as the originals and I wouldn’t be able to cover up the staining. I will say that the eraser did a great job removing the part of the decal that I did before deciding I didn’t want to deal with the left behind stains, so I resorted to a hair dryer and lots of scraping to get the remaining decals off.

I don’t know why it left the staining that it did. I read lots of positive reviews before I ordered it, but didn’t get the results I expected.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Just a word of caution. I ordered the ABN Eraser wheel to remove my cracked and faded ‘Pace Arrow Vision’ decals’. It left yellow/tannish stains that I couldn’t remove with goo gone, bleach, etc. I tried a slower speed and lightest possible pressure, and it still left the marks on my white fiberglass siding. I guess it wouldn’t matter if you’re going to be painting over the area. My problem is that the replacement decals I ordered aren’t quite the same coverage as the originals and I wouldn’t be able to cover up the staining. I will say that the eraser did a great job removing the part of the decal that I did before deciding I didn’t want to deal with the left behind stains, so I resorted to a hair dryer and lots of scraping to get the remaining decals off.

I don’t know why it left the staining that it did. I read lots of positive reviews before I ordered it, but didn’t get the results I expected.
Sounds like it got hot... thanks I will keep that in mind
Old 05-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
The staining you are seeing is not the ghost of the old decal? I agree that removing decals is a PITA. I used 3M 7517 eraser wheel it is 8" and used on a buffer. I will be painting my decals on the Monaco at some time.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Sounds like it got hot... thanks I will keep that in mind

That was my thoughts too (getting hot) as to the resulting staining, but with the lightest pressure I could use with slowest speed for the decal to come off it still left the marking, so I gave up on it.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint