Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question PArk Brake Light

I have a 1996 Raven on the P30 chassis with a tag axle.Currently redoing the tag axle brakes. On the regulating valve from the chassis brake side there is a pressure switch that I can not figuir out what it does. The park brake warning light comes on when I step on the brakes but the switch on the park brake is working well and adjusted correctly. Just wondering if any of the more experienced RV'rs out there know what this switch does.

Mr.Geritol
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

I'm confused...why would your PB light come on when you step on the brakes? It should come on only when you shift into Park.

Perhaps that pressure switch can be tested by just removing the electrical connector...see if a light comes on or goes off at the dash. Where is that switch physically?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it sensing brake line pressure? Low pressure maybe.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
It is sensing Brake pressure by the look of it. I have worked on many brake systems and never seen a pressure switch at the back.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I plan on doing that my next trip under. Just got a new master cylinder for the tag break and waiting for wheel cylinder kits.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'm confused...why would your PB light come on when you step on the brakes? It should come on only when you shift into Park.

Perhaps that pressure switch can be tested by just removing the electrical connector...see if a light comes on or goes off at the dash. Where is that switch physically?

The switch is in the brake line by the valve which regulates the tag brake booster. I am stumped why it is there. If it serves no purpose it will be gone. Or mayby I will move it to the tag axle side to let me know if the brakes which don't appear to have worked for years are working. I am hoping someone can giove me a logical explanation why it is there.

Mr.Geritol
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure that it serves a purpose. Just have to figure out what it is.

You are also having a problem with the tag axle brakes. Maybe it has something to do with that? While many pressure switches just activate an idiot light on the dash, others go to a relay or controller and activate some other function.

I'd remove it and replace it, just in case there's some function it's suppose to be doing that it isn't. And of course there are ways to test it. Most I'm familiar with have a P/N on them so it's generally easy to find a replacement since it's a generic part. And they aren't that expensive. JMO.

BTW, you started this thread with "Park Brake Light" and P30s are known for having parking brake issues. Rotten green switch comes to mind. It's hard to figure out what system you're working on.

Here's some info that may help: "The Auto Park lamp goes on when the parking brake is applied, or whenever the pump motor is running.
This warning light has two separate switches, which can cause the light to go ON. One is the pump motor switch - a.k.a. the Rotten Green Switch - and the other one is a pressure switch mounted on the actuator. The Rotten Green Switch (RGS) turns on the Auto Park light at the same time it turns on the pump motor."

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, Like many other P30 chassis owners I have had the autopark problem. For that I changed the switches and adjusted the cables. For as long as I have owned this rig (4 years) the Park Brake warning light comes on when I apply the brakes. It has never made any sense to me but as all else seemed to work I took it to be a idiosincrecy of the unit. I have found a few other mtc issues with the unit. When I found the tag axle brakes not working that started me on the hunt and where I found this forum with a lot of good comments from some very nice people. Work has draged me away form the task for a bit but when I get back to it I will post here. I thought I would ask if anyone knew if it actualy belongs, my own guess is no It does not.

Mr.Geritol

Tags
brake