Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Parking Brake on 2012 Bay Star F53 Ford Chassis

I noticed my Parking Brake seemed somewhat stiff so I had them check it when I got my inspection sticker. Sure enough the lever on the driveshaft drum was very stiff/corroded and they freed it up some but still not overly releasing. They commented that the unit isn't repairable. The more I thought about it it didn't make sense and I found posts here where people have rebuilt them.

I'm fairly mechanical but pulling the drive shaft and then the unit, aren't something that I will undertake. Has anybody had this brake unit rebuilt at either a Ford or an RV dealership? What was the cost involved?

This coach was used in the Northeast to go to ski areas so was subject to our road salts and chemicals for 3-4 years. I suspect some of thercorrosion is from lack of use and we haven't used the coach as much as we would like since we have owned it.

Thanks. I was under the coach today hitting the pivot point of the lever with penetrating oil and then moving it back and forth. I'm still not happy with how it is moving.
2012 BayStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

I am on the wrong side of the country to help you but we rebuild them at the Ford dealer I work at. A couple of large bearings and seals and brake parts . They are difficult to get apart at times,
I would pull the cable off the unit to give yourself more swing on the arm and keep working it back and forth. If at all possible have the the Coach nose down and soak the shaft with some sort of lube. I like transmission fluid for things like that because it is thin.
When I say nose down I mean just enough to get oil to run in.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Brake

Thanks for the tip GBRG. I did just like you mentioned, except to have the coach nose down. I put a small piece of pipe on the lever and kept working it back and forth and it returns but not all the way. I hit it with PB Blaster several times and will let it set then get back under to do it again. The cable and mechanism are fine.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Just had my ZF park brake done , 1992 ,32'Bounder Ford F53 .l removed unit from tran. Dose have to be stripped apart to change brake shoes . New seals ,shoes,cleaned up drum .$618.00 Canadian tax in (SIF Brake/Clutch) Edmonton Alberta Canada
Jatlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatlatch View Post
Just had my ZF park brake done , 1992 ,32'Bounder Ford F53 .l removed unit from tran. Dose have to be stripped apart to change brake shoes . New seals ,shoes,cleaned up drum .$618.00 Canadian tax in (SIF Brake/Clutch) Edmonton Alberta Canada

This unit has its own oil in it ATF .Check plug (11/16") below speed o cable.
Jatlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #6

E Brake

I got underneath my coach and worked the brake lever on the Emergency Brake for about an hour. It seems to have loosened up a lot but still doesn't return all the way. I'll let it set and get back under again this week and move it again. Is the oil check plug for this unit just like the plug on a differential? You just unscrew it and stick your finger in to check the level? Is the reservoir for this only that small area in front of the brake drum itself? Last but not least is it going to be like many differentials, I'll pull the plug and then the fluid will run out and make a mess?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Yes the plug is like a diff plug and fluid should be about level with it.
They are often overfull and so yes be prepared for some fluid.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I flushed the fluid in my PB. The PB assembly doesn't have a drain, the only way to get it out is to suck it out. I did three flush-fill cycles, suck the fluid out, refill with fresh fluid.

Heres a short article with some photos:

F53 Parking Brake assembly fluid check – 1999 Southwind 35S

NOTE - I've never done it, but I have read that the unit is repairable, i.e. new shoes, etc. I also seen somewhere a company that will rebuild your unit.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, chassis, f53, ford