Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is parking our tires on concrete similar to storing a 12-V battery on concrete??? Will the same demons who,"SUCK" the juice from a battery SUCK out the molecules of rubber and destroy or shorten our tire life??

Just think of all the tires that set on concrete: cars, trucks, airplanes, semi's, boat & utility trailers, etc, etc!!! It would take a shift of workers (creates jobs) to assure that pads are placed under the vehicles. Yes tires are effected by UV rays.

I don't deny that tire manufacturers do recommend it but then again lets be realistic. Also consider the lawyers who are behind many, many manufacturer recommendations based on (usually $$$$) or who knows what??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Is parking our tires on concrete similar to storing a 12-V battery on concrete??? Will the same demons who,"SUCK" the juice from a battery SUCK out the molecules of rubber and destroy or shorten our tire life??

Just think of all the tires that set on concrete: cars, trucks, airplanes, semi's, boat & utility trailers, etc, etc!!! It would take a shift of workers (creates jobs) to assure that pads are placed under the vehicles. Yes tires are effected by UV rays.

I don't deny that tire manufacturers do recommend it but then again lets be realistic. Also consider the lawyers who are behind many, many manufacturer recommendations based on (usually $$$$) or who knows what??

......I totally agree.....however I cannot do anything about all those other tires, but can do something about mine.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #17

I'm in agreement with Winemaker2's protocol. Isolate the tires from concrete floors. There is a significant difference between parking your car in the garage every night and driving it the next day and storing a coach that doesn't move for several months.

Take some weight off the tires as suggested. Some go as far as to block the coach up with tires off the ground.

Keep tires properly inflated.

Of course there are those who will do none of this and drive around on 12 year old tires that still work. So, why bother?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:

Couldn't have said it all better myself. I've never, EVER seen or read any article, write up etc. that PROVED that, parking on concrete did any damage to any tire, on any vehicle, anywhere, at any time. Going on about 50 years of parking my vehicles on concrete and, nope, no damage.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:

Do you cover your tires when stored or parked???
If so WHY.... those same trucks and cars you cite that don't park on anything but concrete also don't cover their tires.

Your comparisons are apples & oranges to MHs.... how many of those trucks park their rigs for 4-6 mos or run their tires for 7 yrs.

I've checked batty mfg sites and don't see any w CYA statements cautioning against storage on concrete...in fact i have seen just the opposite... debunking the myth or maybe more acurate an outdated concern w modern materials.

We all collect info and make our own decisions. In the case of tires I will go with mfg recommendations especially where the cost is minimal
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was just making a reference to a car battery myth that, for the most part has been debunked but you'll still find those who believe it is still true.

Old habits and myths do die a slow death. Many still believe once you start with a specific brand of motor oil it is not good to switch brands. At our local parts store they had more 10W-40 motor oil on their shelves 8 years after the manufacturers stopped recommending that they use it. WHY?? Nobody asked for it.

Our MH is parked under a roof so direct sunlight does not hit the tires. We know for a FACT that the UV rays are detrimental to a tires longevity. I do rotate and treat the inner and outer sides of each tire annually. From what I've read that's probably more than most do for their RV tires.

As far as apples and orange comparison I don't know how many MH's are parked for months at a time and guess what probably nobody does. If you find the stats please share with us.

I was just pointing out that not every tire is parked in a garage or street then driven the next day. There are many tires used on all kinds of vehicles that are parked for different lengths of time for various reasons. I assumed that common sense would come into play and therefore I shouldn't have to explain all the possible situations in every discussion.

There are some chemicals in concrete but I don't know how they might effect a tire since they are not floating on the surface. There's moisture present but that's everywhere to varying degrees depending on the time of year.

If I set my tires on rubber there's also chemicals in the rubber. So what kind of rubber mat has the least chemicals present on the surface? Are any rubber mats specifically designed to not be harmful to tires???

I'd have to suspend the tires or place them in plastic bags to keep them from harmful chemicals but then there's chemicals in plastic bags.

Like Scott (FIRE UP) stated I have also never read any article telling me exactly how parking on concrete is going to negatively effect the life of my tires. Until I read such a technical article stating with some testing results explaining why it is harmful I'll just not waste my time.

Lets rest the dead horse!!!!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #21

Concrete

I put corrugated cardboard under the wheels over the winter when the MH is in storage. It's cheap and easy and keeps the tires off of the concrete.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #22

Go with the plywood if it makes you feel better. $8 is pretty cheap cut into 4 pieces.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #23

Do a Google search. 90% of the discussion is centered around RV storage with the remainder being boats, cars and motorcycles. I looked through numerous pages of search results, never saw a single piece of technical information from any tire manufacturer. Until I see a technical reason from a tire manufacturer I won't worry about it. I store cars every year and now store the RV. Never had any issues and the last set of tires on my car had years of storage on concrete and were replaced due to age, not mileage or issues.

Guess everyone can do what they are comfortable with.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #24

Parking on concrete indoors

.....Simple google search per Michelin’s “recommendations” “Specifically, that it's not good to leave the tires sitting on dirt, grass, asphalt or concrete for weeks or ... If storing more than a month, per Michelin's recommendation, inflate tires to max on sidewall”. While it does not include any technical data or the antidotal quips of those that have been doing it for years without a problem, it’s one suggestion by a reputable tire manufacturer, specifically the ones I roll on and since it does not cost but the little bit I spent on the plastic blocks I put my tires on every time I park for more than few days as well cover them and insure proper inflation, because I am particular that way. Does anyone know exactly every reason for each and every blow out is perhaps the real question that should be asked.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #25

I think the above recommendation from Michelin has to do with "flat spotting" from setting for extended peroids, not deterioration of rubber tire.

I recently replaced some trailer tires because of leaked through the sidewalls that were over 35 years old. They were parked on dirt or cement 99% 0f their life and there was no apparent difference in the looks of tread surface anywhere on the tire.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
.....Simple google search per Michelin’s “recommendations” “Specifically, that it's not good to leave the tires sitting on dirt, grass, asphalt or concrete for weeks or ... If storing more than a month, per Michelin's recommendation, inflate tires to max on sidewall”. While it does not include any technical data or the antidotal quips of those that have been doing it for years without a problem, it’s one suggestion by a reputable tire manufacturer, specifically the ones I roll on and since it does not cost but the little bit I spent on the plastic blocks I put my tires on every time I park for more than few days as well cover them and insure proper inflation, because I am particular that way. Does anyone know exactly every reason for each and every blow out is perhaps the real question that should be asked.

WDK
Can you provide a link to Michelin's web site where this recommendation is made? I have yet to find it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I think the above recommendation from Michelin has to do with "flat spotting" from setting for extended peroids, not deterioration of rubber tire.

I recently replaced some trailer tires because of leaked through the sidewalls that were over 35 years old. They were parked on dirt or cement 99% 0f their life and there was no apparent difference in the looks of tread surface anywhere on the tire.

.....you qualified that and you said you think, all I read in that one article was that Michelin did not recommend you park on grass, concrete, asphalt and dirt for extended periods of time and whatever the reason they recommend, even if it were flat spotting, if it degrades the tire, that’s not a good thing. Again for me, it’s not that much trouble to follow their recommendation.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Can you provide a link to Michelin's web site where this recommendation is made? I have yet to find it.

http://community.fmca.com/topic/4107...astic-or-wood/

Note this was just one search in that I did not have to be very extensive to find the recommendation again irregardless of the reason.

WDK

Tags
door, indoor