Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
http://community.fmca.com/topic/4107...astic-or-wood/

Note this was just one search in that I did not have to be very extensive to find the recommendation again irregardless of the reason.

WDK

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	185411
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #30

Parking on concrete indoors

Bottom line, it’s simply a recommendation, choose what’s best for you though I cannot understand why people try to prove their point saying nothing has ever happened to their tires by parking on concrete....that does not disprove the recommendation only that you did not have any problems.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #31

WDK, looking at the forum you are getting your information from, it's a bunch of posts from individuals with differing opinions just like this forum. There is nothing there from Michelin, all the information posted is second hand hear say and must be sorted out by the reader for it's value.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
WDK, looking at the forum you are getting your information from, it's a bunch of posts from individuals with differing opinions just like this forum. There is nothing there from Michelin, all the information posted is second hand hear say and must be sorted out by the reader for it's value.

FMCA opened a forum on the subject just like this one but from what I gather as I am a member and asked, the recommendation as they posted in the short blurb is that Michelin did not recommend it. I did not need to dig any further as again, it does not take but a couple of minutes to lay down 6 plastic 14 by 14inch half inch thick plastic blocks and back over them anytime I am going to be stationary for a few days or more which I thought could not hurt one way or the other.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #33

Quote:
.....Simple google search per Michelin’s “recommendations” “Specifically, that it's not good to leave the tires sitting on dirt, grass, asphalt or concrete for weeks or ... If storing more than a month, per Michelin's recommendation, inflate tires to max on sidewall”. While it does not include any technical data or the antidotal quips of those that have been doing it for years without a problem, it’s one suggestion by a reputable tire manufacturer, specifically the ones I roll on and since it does not cost but the little bit I spent on the plastic blocks I put my tires on every time I park for more than few days as well cover them and insure proper inflation, because I am particular that way. Does anyone know exactly every reason for each and every blow out is perhaps the real question that should be asked.

WDK
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Can you provide a link to Michelin's web site where this recommendation is made? I have yet to find it.
Quote:
Long-term Parking - Tires On Plastic Or Wood? - Tires - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Note this was just one search in that I did not have to be very extensive to find the recommendation again irregardless of the reason.

WDK

Willandjane, that link was to a bunch of people on FMCA stating their opinions . . . . you DID specifically reference Michelin's web site, and I can't find it either on any website of Michelin's. Can you please reference the MICHELIN website you quoted? Also, you said it stated not to park on, well basically anything, for long periods, but didn't quote what this website stated to ACTUALLY PARK ON, other than to say air up to max on sidewalls. Please help us out here, inquiring minds want to know!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Willandjane, that link was to a bunch of people on FMCA stating their opinions . . . . you DID specifically reference Michelin's web site, and I can't find it either on any website of Michelin's. Can you please reference the MICHELIN website you quoted? Also, you said it stated not to park on, well basically anything, for long periods, but didn't quote what this website stated to ACTUALLY PARK ON, other than to say air up to max on sidewalls. Please help us out here, inquiring minds want to know!

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...ireArticle.pdf

Please read under storage.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #35

Quote:

Okay, I saw cardboard, plastic or plywood. I tried "ask the experts" on the Michelin site, and got the responses below . . . . Clear as mud, and just about as informative!

You : For long term storage of an RV, inside, on concrete are there any special recommendations from Michelin to put a barrier material between tire and concrete? If so, what material? Any other precautions? Thanks!

17:36
Sam : Hello, I am happy to assist you.
17:37
Ply wood is a good recommendation and to have the tires at max psi while stored.
17:39
You : Can you provide the reasoning for a barrier material? And why you recommended plywood? I would just like to know the science behind it.

17:41
Sam : Just a flat even surface that would not be at below temps and distribute weight evenly.

17:43
You : well, the concrete is already flat, and any plywood will rapidly drop to (I assume you mean below ZERO? temps, so I'm not sure what is really being gained by using plywood. Just wanting to find out if there is a definitive reason, or just people's opinion with nothing to back it up.

17:43
Sam : No I do mean below temperatures of a consistent below 35 degrees.
17:45
Typically wood is a poor conductor of heat, so if the temperature varies, which we recommend at least to a 40 degrees so you do not get cold weather cracking. Concrete would colder before wood would.

Based on the grammer, I suspect English may be his/her second language?!? Although if it is, he/she certainly types/understands the English language better than I probably understand the responder's FIRST language!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #36

Don't see a single reference to documentation from a tire manufacturer. Simply more opinions and postulations. I am waiting to see a technical bulletin or document from a tire company and to date have yet to find one.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #37

Willandjane, I just looked at my response again, and I didn't mean to imply that YOUR post with the link was uninformative, rather the "Expert" on Michelin's site!

I do appreciate your response, with the link. I just wish I know what the actual science was behind it
Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:. Also, some storage
surfaces can cause tires to age faster.
That’s why Michelin recommends placing
a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood)
between the tire and the storage surface

No mention of what kind of material being parked on......no mention of concrete. Our shop is concrete and our equipment has sat parked every winter on it for 50 years with no ill effects on any tires . My Coach has been parked in it since '09......every winter . We all have to do what ever lets us sleep good every night..........
Old 12-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Willandjane, I just looked at my response again, and I didn't mean to imply that YOUR post with the link was uninformative, rather the "Expert" on Michelin's site!

I do appreciate your response, with the link. I just wish I know what the actual science was behind it

While the actual science would be great if only for the sake of knowing, since the solution is not cost prohibitive then I am ok with following their recommendation.

WDK
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
At the end of the day, though, for most folks their tires will age out before they wear out. I know I just replaced six tires in 2017 that looked really good - but they were too old.

I'll wager that whether you park with or without something between your tires and the surface, you'll still be changin' them due to simple dates.

Tires are expendable - you're probably gonna spend the money regardless of how you treat 'em. Budget every 6-8 years (whatever) and it's a simple cost of ownership (however expensive). Other stuff, not so much.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking on concrete for two months is nothing. Post again when you want to do 20 years and we'll have something to debate.

I have noticed in the past 6 years I've owned a RV and 300 or so nights on the road in camp grounds I have never seen a rig with anything under the tires when parked on whatever the CG offers be it grass, dirt, same, gravel, asphalt or concrete. As such why would two months be any different then two weeks or two days?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread sure is a waste of time. Both in reading and responding. No facts just opinions based on what he said or what they said which is backed up by absolutely nothing but more unfounded opinions. WOW!!!

The simple, and IMHO correct answer is this. No matter what you do it will not effect the life of your tires by any measurable amount in either direction.

The previous statement is a REAL fact that you can take to the bank. It is factual because it is based entirely on the LACK of any hard evidence to the contrary.

Do what you must so you'll sleep well at night.

Tags
door, indoor