Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've traveled nearly 6,000 miles towing our VW Tiguan on a flatbed car trailer. At nearly 32' long on the motorhome alone, when we add the trailer, we're just about 54' long.

In all our travels, we have only had to disconnect the trailer once before backing into this particular campsite. We might have been able to just back in and nose the motorhome up to the edge of the site, but it was a dark, rainy night when we arrived and the back edge of the site had a downhill slope. It was just a smarter choice to disconnect in the rain.

Like you, we can't tow 4 down, or even 2 down on a dolly due to the 4Motion system in our VW. For us, the car trailer was a great choice as it's under the towing limit of our VW, so we can use it for other things like trips to the dump, the Big Orange store and more.

I will say that in all of our travels, people towing like us are few and far between. Certainly the most common two setups are 4-down and 2-down dollys, but we also have the advantage of being able to backup with the trailer attached. Can't do that with a 4-down or dolly.

This has proven to be convenient in our travels, as well as a trip we took to one campground where our non-RV Nagivation routed us on a path we could not take - A day of travel …and backing up! | Our RV Journey

As far as loading the car up and down from the trailer, I've got that down to about 10 minutes. Not that much more time than it takes any other TOWD setup. Since the car always sits in the same location, I know where to setup the ramps and where to stop on the trailer. We use 10,000 LB straps on each wheel, and due to our rim type, I just strap them right through the rim. While I could also run the straps around each wheel - like a wheel net tie down, I'm more comfortable with going through the wheel. I do think that I'll buy a set of wheel nets, and give them a try sometime in the future.

I'll usually get the car nice and tight on the trailer, lock and wrap the excess strap length, and then stop for a quick "pull check" before we get on the highway. I also make sure that I do a pull check every time we stop and get out - this is usually no more than a couple hundred miles at a time.

Another thing I like about pulling the trailer is that it is a good, easy visual indicator to keep me in our lane. I check my mirrors on a regular basis while driving, and especially on narrow roads, using the car trailer as a lane guide works out really well.

The downside to the car trailer, obviously the extra weight we are pulling. With the trailer and the VW we are a few hundred lbs under our max towing weight of 5,000 LBS - I calculated all our weights before we bought the RV and the trailer as I was also looking at an aluminum trailer that for about twice the price I paid for our wood topped one, was only about 500lbs less - so we decided to put that extra money into the RV fuel tank ;-)

I think our trailer is about 1,300 LBS, so we probably lose a little bit in fuel mileage with that extra weight, although with the trailer and car we are still getting between 6-7 MPG - usually more towards the low to mid 6 range.

Another advantage I like with our setup is 4 wheel electric brakes. We run a Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller in the motorhome and the braking performance is really great.

Here's what we look like when towing

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #16

I have been towing a car on an open car trailer for six years. In 2008 we traveled from Washington State to Washington DC and back. I only had to drop my trailer once on that trip. It was in Texas at a Camping World to get my oil changed.

My MH is 30 feet long and my trailer is 20 feet for a total length of 50 feet. My wife and I look for parks with pull-throughs so we don’t have to drop our trailer. It makes life a lot easier when overnighting. If you rig is longer you may have more troubles finding a pull-through long enough. If we are going to stay for a few days or more it I don’t mind parking the trailer.

Only once in six years have I been asked to pay for parking. That was at the RV Park at the Naval Air Station in El Centro, CA. Their rules call for all trailers to be parked in their storage area.

I had a trailer hitch added to the Subaru Legacy that I tow on the trailer. When I need to park the trailer in a parking lot it is a lot easier to move the trailer with the Legacy and not with the MH.

Now for the downside of towing a trailer. Or the only downside I have found in six years. In 2010 we broke down in the middle of nowhere in Oregon. The tow truck could not tow the trailer. I was towing a Miata on the trailer, so I had to leave the trailer there. We found a very nice couple nearby that allowed us to park our trailer on their property till we could retrieve it.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are many cars towed 4-down every day where the maker says' Absolutly not" and for good reason.

So how do the people doing it do it?

Remco towing makes devices that basically turn your car into a trailer.. They have a slight side advantage too.. If it's in towed mode a smart thief may know that all you need to do is pull a couple pins, hop in and fire her up.

With the proper Remco add-ons, the thief can do just that, put the pedal to the metal and go... noplace, very fast. (The car won't move) This is because it the device converts it to a trailer.. I prefer the axle lock or drive shaft disconnedt to the lube pump.

There are still a few cars though, that can not be towed, even with modification.. This is because of either brakes (electric vehicles) or suspension (Some Lincolns for example)
2008 Mazda MX5/Mia ta, 6sp manual, can't tow 4 down and Remco doesn't make a kit for it.I wish they did, there are several more vehicles that can't be modified.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #18

Yes berrys I asked about dolly. Honda said since it's all wheel drive ( electronically controlled ) it's not possible. That being the case I'll probably do the dolly with my civic. I really would prefer not having two trailers. We are planning in full timing starting this winter !!
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #19

Thanks all for responding
I've been cling on trailers and asked if I could tow a 12 ft trailer behind a car hauler ( tandem ) answer was no cause I'll be too long. I have a side by side I'd like to bring with but all together over 65 ft even if I have a 2 door wrangler.
Well at least I know some of you haven't had any issues with parking a trailer at the park thanks for that. Guess I'll have to leave a toy at home !!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #20

trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
Do most parks let or have room for trailers. We have a Honda pilot and will need to get a full size trailer. Won't be able to tow 4 down.
We have our showcar corvette in a cargo trailer 20 ft long and we have a 40 ft mh. Overall we are about 65 feet. We have been on a trip since 6/12 and every campground we have stopped at put us in a site large enough for the whole shebang. Let me tell you, it is not easy hooking and unhooking, and have never had to do it. Just let the door down and drive out, there is even enough room to park the car. We have been to 10 different campgrounds and we have never had to unhook. One place it was a bit too long and the owner put some traffic cones behind us to protect us from being hit. All the KOA's have real long pull thru sites some as long as 100 ft. I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience. I was told the site of the rally has them too, so I will not unhook unless I absolutely have to. Just do your shopping around and ask the campground first. None have even turned us down.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
I had a trailer hitch added to the Subaru Legacy that I tow on the trailer. When I need to park the trailer in a parking lot it is a lot easier to move the trailer with the Legacy and not with the MH.
We do the same with our VW Tiguan. I added the factory tow controller -that integrates with the ABS and 4wheel drive system - and then a 5,000 LB hitch. If we have to move the trailer, we can just drop the Tiguan off the trailer and move it with the VW.

Over the early part of the summer we finally got back to home base, after more than a year away, and I modified the trailer to use it for runs to the town dump/transfer station, being pulled by the Tiguan.

Car Trailer Mods | Our RV Journey

Overall a good decision for us to use a trailer, versus selling the VW, getting a new car and spending the $$$ to tow 4 down or on a dolly.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #22

Thanks again for all responses. Looks like the wife gets to keep her pilot !!! Lol. An Aluma lite $ 7000. Steel $2800. Quite the difference !!!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #23

check out tandem tow dolly it works for me
dropaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #24

Tandem dolly towing I will lookinto that. Thanks do a line
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropaline View Post
check out tandem tow dolly it works for me
A Tandem Dolly is still a dolly (Toad's rears are still on the ground)...thought the Pilot couldn't dolly tow(?)

But the real reason for my post While Tandem Dolly's look very versatile...why do you all think they are called a "tandem dolly"
When I did a search for "tandem dolly" this is what came up...
Click image for larger version

Name:	bnr_tandem-axle-converter-dolly.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24752
Tandem Axle Converter Dolly by Strick

Looking at the RV tandem dolly's on-line, it seems like many are virtually flat-bed cargo trailers with the axle and a dolly pan at the rear...so I wonder what the DMV(s) think of them for licensing and such details.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #26

Thanks dropline
Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
Thanks again for all responses. Looks like the wife gets to keep her pilot !!! Lol. An Aluma lite $ 7000. Steel $2800. Quite the difference !!!
My Featherlite aluminum 18' open car trailer was about $4,500.00 new. It weighs 1500lbs while most similar steel trailer weigh 2000lbs or more. I got a good deal because this was the dealers last Featherlite trailer. He was upset with Featherlite because they were making him carry trailers that didn't sell well in his market.

I had the dealer add a rock shield to my trailer.

The nice thing about an aluminum trailer is they don't rust and they save 500lbs if weight is and issue.

I did a quick search and found a Featherlite for $5450. With more effort you might find a much better price.

Here is a link to my Featherlite trailer:

Car Trailers - Bumper Pull Car Trailers - 3110 Car Trailer

Here is another way to go. It is a light weight steel car trailer:

2012 Carry-on 15' Open Car Hauler | Trailers | Golden Gait Trailers

Safe Travels

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #28

Thank you so much for that JD I will look into that. I liked the tandem dolly that I found today since I could put my side by side on it iwas not aware oh this !! Thanks again everyone