Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Partial power loss on Power Distribution panel

I have a 1999 National Dolphin on a Chevy (gas) chassis. New to me.
Among(other) minor electrical problems which I fix as I go along, this particular issue I need help with is the loss of power with my Fantastic Fan. I have No power to the galley ceiling mounted fan and/ or wall mounted speed / thermostat. I jumped the power wires to the wall switch( activated the lift motor and to the fan itself, reversed polarity, and fan spun both directions.
So, I have no juice to the fan / controls. I do not have a shop manual, but I checked all the 12 volt fuses ( under the dash) and the main Power Dist. panel, located curbside, behind the entry door in outer storage bay.
No burned fuses, BUT, there is a block of approx. four fuses which have NO power going to them, as I tested them using a 12 test light. I Do have power everywhere else , it appears, on the panel.
I attached a pic of a Dist. Panel from online, which is the same type. The group of fuses are labled "Ignition Switched " above them... I dont know if this power loss there is the problem- is my Fantastic Fan wired to one of these fuses? Or is this another problem I have altogether? I cant find any other (obvious) at-fault fuses to check either..
And, how do I reset the power to these dead fuses( a circut breaker or some type of a relay problem, maybe? )

I am stumped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M656.14 (1).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	84936  
MikeandBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You should be able to pull up pdf files to hep you trouble shoot the board from RV Custom Products. The ignition must be turned on for the four fuses refered to and the fan is not on this circuit. It sould be coming from regular house distribution. The wall controller may be a grounding switch and many times the control board on the fan is bad with this sceanerio.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree you need to find the house fuse panel.. The Fantastic fan is not a chassis item so should not be in the Battery Control fuse box, but the house box..

Question: What make and model of converter do you have?

(Do not bother to answer it, but you may find the converter is also the hose fuse panel).
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The first page of the attachment is a drawing of the 12V distribution board and shows what each fuse is for. The other pages don't apply to your Dolphin. I have an email from Mary at RV Customs Products I can forward to you with the troubleshooting guide for the board. PM me with your email or you can call RV Custom Products direct and Mary will email them to you.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Custom Products12v,120v Power System.pdf (706.9 KB, 122 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Power loss

Thanks for the replies. CHBoone, yes could you forward that diagram to:Mikeandbeckynevada@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

WA8yxm-
I recently replaced the converter, as it was not putting out sufficient DC voltage. It was a MagnaTek.. I replaced it w/ a different 55 Amp new converter.
If the old converter "was" the house fuse panel, I saw no secondary wiring hooked up to it, as if from a Fantastic Fan. The only wires were the two large POS and NEG leads to the Power Dist. Board, and the solid ground wire....
Old 02-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #7

^^^
But, since the old converter was bad, could it be that was why I have no FF power?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

I am Still searching for the mysterious “House Fuse Panel” which is likely to house my FanTastic Fan's
fuse in my 1999 National Dolphin. Currently, I have no 12v power to the fan or wall mounted switch ( 2 knobs, thermostat for fan, w/ rain sensor, on/ off, speed, etc). Located below my monitor panel and a/c furnace thermostat the the hallway.
No power to any of the wires going to the switch/ fan. I jumped the fan motor leads with another 12 volt supply, and the fan works. I've searched the Power Dist. Panel ( curbside storage bin, behind the entry door), and the small fuse panel below dash, left of driver seat. I know the location of the 120 Volt a/c breaker panel, as well. Am I missing something? I removed the TV above the front driver/ pass. area, where I found the inverter hiding, along with the inline fuse ( burnt) for the back up camera, I didnt notice any obvious fuse block up there, either. Anyone have an idea? I know that the F.F. was ordered and installed as an “add-on”at the motorhomes purchase by the dealer, as paper work reflects.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandBecky View Post
I am Still searching for the mysterious “House Fuse Panel” which is likely to house my FanTastic Fan's
fuse in my 1999 National Dolphin. Currently, I have no 12v power to the fan or wall mounted switch ( 2 knobs, thermostat for fan, w/ rain sensor, on/ off, speed, etc). Located below my monitor panel and a/c furnace thermostat the the hallway.
No power to any of the wires going to the switch/ fan. I jumped the fan motor leads with another 12 volt supply, and the fan works. I've searched the Power Dist. Panel ( curbside storage bin, behind the entry door), and the small fuse panel below dash, left of driver seat. I know the location of the 120 Volt a/c breaker panel, as well. Am I missing something? I removed the TV above the front driver/ pass. area, where I found the inverter hiding, along with the inline fuse ( burnt) for the back up camera, I didnt notice any obvious fuse block up there, either. Anyone have an idea? I know that the F.F. was ordered and installed as an “add-on”at the motorhomes purchase by the dealer, as paper work reflects.
There is a switch just under the outside cover when it fails the fan will not
work. A real pain to get to from inside but easy if the cover is up.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The only house fuse panel is in same place as in my 99 Dolphin, in the basement compartment between the entry door and the right front tire. The small fuse panel below the dash is only for the chassis. Any one's guess where the dealer tapped in to get the 12V power for fan. May be an inline fuse in the area behind the fan control that is just out of sight. They may have tapped in the the power for the bathroom fan. If you pull the bathroom switch assembly out you may find and extra wire connected there.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
WA8yxm-
I recently replaced the converter, as it was not putting out sufficient DC voltage. It was a MagnaTek.. I replaced it w/ a different 55 Amp new converter.

As i said, you MAY find the converter is also the distribution panel.. MagnaTek made many that way, they also made some which were modular (Converter and panel were NOT the same assembly) Looks like you had that kind.

Progressive Dynamics also makes them both ways.. Mine is that kind (Converter in one place, Distribution panel elsewhere)

Another thing.. Just after this I opened my Fantastic Fan and it failed to start... There is a fuse on the fan itself and that was not making good contact.. I wiggled the cap a bit and it took off.

Perhaps that is the fuse you need to attend.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
National power panel

This might help as you can see which fuses power what
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12v,120v power system all models(1).pdf (563.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Fan switch

Upper switch

Power for these fans comes from the power board at fuse F12 and is a 15 amp fuse
if blown in dim light you should see a small red diode light next to the fuse.
Fuse located lower right corner
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRBSHT 1 - PLUNGER SWITCH.pdf (366.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #14

Good idea, ill check that too! Thanks!

Tags
panel, power