Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #1

Parts for a 1987 Chevy P30 chassis

We just bought a 1987 Winnebago Itasca Windcruiser which needs a lot of work. the GMC parts needed - steering plus some others - seem to be discontinued. Can we get used parts? Does anyone know where to find discontinued parts? A truck service garage here can repair the vehicle but we need to find some parts ourselves. Any help would be appreciated.
PenneyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenneyP View Post
We just bought a 1987 Winnebago Itasca Windcruiser which needs a lot of work. the GMC parts needed - steering plus some others - seem to be discontinued. Can we get used parts? Does anyone know where to find discontinued parts? A truck service garage here can repair the vehicle but we need to find some parts ourselves. Any help would be appreciated.
I've usually been able to find most parts for our P30/P32 on RockAuto, though there are often different variations in the parts, so you need to be careful.

Assuming you have a 454, start here:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cid+v8,1059308

Not sure what steering parts you need, but, for the drag link (the ones on rockauto were not the correct size for our P30, could be for yours. You'll need to measure.) and bell crank (the one from super steer is much better and worth the extra $$), you may need to go here:
https://supersteerparts.com/search-results-page?q=P30
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Commercial Member

i owned a 95 p30 chassis.i always asked for parts on a 1995 one ton van. they use the same engine and drive train.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Another supplier of P32 parts is Mill Supply. I don't have a link to their website, but Google surely can find them.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #5

I got parts for my 93 P30 from the local NAPA store. Ebay was another good source. Make sure you specify that the parts are for a motorhome chassis. Some parts differ from the P30 van chassis.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #6

As was mentioned, looking for crossover with the Chevy 3500 truck (1 ton chassis) will get you most things. If this one is like mine, it has the "hydroboost" brakes and power steering in one dual pump, rather than a vacuum assist on the brakes.

The steering box is from the 1 ton, the drag link arm SHOULD be able to be rebuilt generically by a truck shop if that's what you are looking for.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #7

Thanks and a question re Chevy P30 steering parts

Thanks for all the info. I gather the Chevy 3500 (1 ton) truck parts would fit the P30 in the motorhome but would the P30 step van parts also work? That vehicle pops up in online searches.
PenneyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For used parts, you can search or post your parts needed here https://row52.com/ I've had good results myself when searching for obscure or hard to find parts.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenneyP View Post
Thanks for all the info. I gather the Chevy 3500 (1 ton) truck parts would fit the P30 in the motorhome but would the P30 step van parts also work? That vehicle pops up in online searches.
Yes, the step vans also work for most things. GM is nothing if not cheap and reuses parts ALL OVER their lines. That's a good thing but also can be frustrating b/c they don't always post the crossovers.

The reason the step vans keep popping up is a vehicle called a "cutaway" where like on a Class C, the nose will look like the van but right behind the front seat is no longer the van body. Ambulances, small delivery trucks and the like also buy cutaways. So there's the same 1500 / 2500 / 3500 chassis underneath, with the same upratings for the 1-ton whether it had a van nose or a bare chassis to start with.

I will say it has been many years since I've been digging for P30 parts, but I remember that Advance Auto Parts had a pretty good crossover system in their computer and could pull most things based on the actual chassis. You might need to hunt to find a parts guy smarter than the computer though who knows how to look in it. Their training isn't what it used to be.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 AM   #10

One of the countermen at the local old-time-family-owned truck parts houses suggested that I use a GMC Suburban 3500 (with the 454 engine and TH400 trans) as a parts reference for power train parts. It was dead on for the distributor and power steering pump, however I ended up using an MSD distributor and 6AL ignition box with the on-the-fly variable timing adjustment (a gift from a friend, who also helped install it).

Mike
Old 04-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #11

I rebuilt the front end steering linkage on our ‘91 P30 chassis (driver side bell crank from SuperSteer, pitman arm, tie rid ends) - total parts cost about $750.00. Really tightened up the steering!

Coach has Independent Front Suspension. Ball joints were in good shape so didn’t have to worry about that.

Found both HydroBoost/Power Steering pump hoses on RockAuto.

Got a rebuilt HydroBoost asst from NAPA.

Bilstein shocks for both it and our now 2002 GBM from RockAuto - they have good deals on Bilsteins.

Front disc brake calipers from Advance Auto. Pads, rotors, and bearings/seals from Amazon.

There are also a lot of threads on here relevant to the rest of the drive train (Chevy 454 and TBH400 tranny).

Pulled radiator and had it recored (original rad leaked) - rad shop added 1 row to the OEM 3 row - keeping the OEM brass end caps. Plenty of room to do it. $400 cost, plus I changed any/all coolant hoses I could put my hands on along with serpentine belt and fan belt - all easily available thru the previously noted automotive parts houses.

YMMV. 😀
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:28 AM   #12

If you were to tell us specifically what parts you need we might be able to tell you which cross over and which do not. One thing you need to be aware of is that they used 2 different taper front ball joints depending on GVWR and rear drum / disk brake setup. Don't mix and match on these as bad things can happen.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #13

All the good stuff for a P32 chassis is at Henderson Line Up.
https://supersteerparts.com/search-r...c=P32&ymm=true

Richard
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 AM   #14

I got everything except the Henderson’s Bell Crank from FCRC Machine. And just to insure I didn’t mess up the alignment too bad, I bought the tie rod couplers so I could build/assemble the tie rod arms and match the lengths to the old arms before installation.

For the bell crank, I found the best deal on Amazon.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, p30, parts