Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Passenger work space in DP?

We're narrowing down our options, and are really leaning toward the Tiffin Allegro 36UA. It's very near the top end of gas Class A's, so there are some diesels that are similar in price new, and many that we could get a late model used close the same price.

I love the Tiffin, but I am a little concerned that the V10 might not be fully up to the task for about the biggest gas coach.

The one thing that most gas Class A's seem to have that I have not seen anywhere on a DP is a workspace for the front passenger seat. The Tiffin and many other gas models have a slide out tray and a very nearby inverter to plug a laptop in. Wife has to work a lot while on the road and the kids will be occupying the dinette (besides, even after 16 years we still like to sit next to each other!)

What do people that need to work while travelling do for workspace?

Anyone know of a near- or sub-$200,000 DP with a similar workspace and inverter plug for the front captain's chair?
OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Phaeton has the pull out computer tray plus storage underneath as well. All of the Phaeton's I have looked at have the tray and the best I remember the RED's have them as well. I think the Discovery we used to have had a tray as well. Plus the dash top is handy to sit stuff on, just don't sit too much stuff as it can block the drivers view.

burfurd
Old 10-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

Thanks burfurd. For some reason I haven't seen it.

I'm not real pleased with the local Tiffin dealer - one of those where they only want to show you what exactly fits your needs and only what is on the lot - he wouldn't even show us one of the RED's on the lot because it wasn't the bunk model that we were looking for.

We saw a few at the Tacoma RV show yesterday, the one we liked the most was the Fleetwood Pace Arrow, but we didn't see anything on it that would work as a work station and the salesman there said there wasn't any pullout desk or workspace at the front.

I'm sure it couldn't be that the salesman doesn't know his product, could it?
OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

we have no kids so when I was still working I would use the dinette. our new coach came with a recliner that was positively awful to sit in and hideous to look at (euro style). so I pulled that out, sold it and had our service shop build this for me:

This is the computer desk. It's next to the dining table so when I want to work on the computer I just turn one of the chairs from the table and work. The credenza behind the table has three grommet holes for power cables, USB cables, etc.

The working surface is hinged allowing it to fold flat against the wall although I typically don't fold it away.

I secure the working surface with a couple of old fashioned door latches.

On either side of the working surface but below it I have 4-AC outlets powered off the inverter. Two of the outlets have 2-USB ports. This provides all of the power I could possibly need.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

We just use the dinette table. It has seat belts, and lots of space. Also has both 12 volt power socket and 120 volt outlet on the adjoining wall.

The seats lift up for storage, so great place to store file and supply boxes.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

I have a Thor Palazzo, it is a DP and has a front passenger work station.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
I have a Thor Palazzo, it is a DP and has a front passenger work station.
Yep. Saw a few of these yesterday. We're interested in one
Old 10-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #8

Had an 07 Suncruiser with front work station on pull out tray. I found it uncomfortable for long hours. Now, our Ventana has the table, buffet with work station and it works great. You may want to look at Newmar to see if there is a floorplan that works for your family.

Tags
ace