Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
I guess the point I'm trying to make is on most two lane roads, places to pull a combined 60' off the road are very few. I'm in the southeast - southwest may be very different. Just saying get over it. If I want to go fast, I'm on the interstate.
our interstates are only 2 lanes...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
That is how I broke 3 teeth in my differential. Getting stuck behind one of those guys doing just under 50. Hit the performance switch on the trans controller, and when a spot opened up, I stomped on the pedal. She dropped from 4th to 2nd and took off. By the time I got around him, I was doing well over 80. (towing my grand Cherokee) . Several miles down the road, I began to hear a noise off throttle. The farther I drove, the worse the noise got under no load. I was only about 60 miles from home, so I nursed it along, and made it. Once I got home, I lift one of the wheels off the ground and rotated it back and forth. There was a ton of slop in the diff. Pulled the plug and found a few teeth with chunks missing. I've since had the diff built up, with bearing girdles, and a thicker cover to stabilize the case so it will not twist under load.
what ive noticed with the snowbirds is they speed up when you try to pass and hug the line so you can't see if it's clear to pass..
leave you hanging in no mans land going the wrong way...
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slow poke on the hi way

Yes, I've been on both sides of the issue. Problem with towing and or the larger motor homes, sometimes getting up to the speed limit isn't possible weather it be a steep grade, wind, curves, or what ever. When we are traveling, due to size and power, the only sure thing we have (for sure) is braking and of course, that is limited as well no matter what we drive or tow. Having a little extra power never hurts as it gives us a second option. Also, we understand the person who "always" leaves for work 5 minutes late, not early, God forbid. They are the ones that will pass on a blind curve or whatever, causing themselves, us, and anyone around us to be in danger. I "always" will pull over and let the traffic go around but sometimes there is no place to pull over. That's why I re geared the Ram so as to have that little bit extra when and where I really need it. Best money I ever spent and now have that cushion. :-)
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Yes, I've been on both sides of the issue. Problem with towing and or the larger motor homes, sometimes getting up to the speed limit isn't possible weather it be a steep grade, wind, curves, or what ever. When we are traveling, due to size and power, the only sure thing we have (for sure) is braking and of course, that is limited as well no matter what we drive or tow. Having a little extra power never hurts as it gives us a second option. Also, we understand the person who "always" leaves for work 5 minutes late, not early, God forbid. They are the ones that will pass on a blind curve or whatever, causing themselves, us, and anyone around us to be in danger. I "always" will pull over and let the traffic go around but sometimes there is no place to pull over. That's why I re geared the Ram so as to have that little bit extra when and where I really need it. Best money I ever spent and now have that cushion. :-)
good post... thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #61
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know how many service calls I did over the past 3 decades plus for drivers who pulled over on two lane roads to be courteous and had to pay for their miscalculations.

Not once has anyone ever stopped for them when the situation happened, not the person passing, nor those following that's really poor
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
No matter how fast you travel you will encounter some FOOL who for no good reason will be impatient and try to pass. NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU GO!! They are out there and live among us. We will encounter them time and time again.

I spent years investigating fatal accident scenes as part of my position duties. In no case was the highway at fault.

Stupidity is like death. It bothers those around you more than it bothers you.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
No matter how fast you travel you will encounter some FOOL who for no good reason will be impatient and try to pass. NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU GO!! They are out there and live among us. We will encounter them time and time again.

I spent years investigating fatal accident scenes as part of my position duties. In no case was the highway at fault.

Stupidity is like death. It bothers those around you more than it bothers you.
it's called going with the flow... I'm talking the guy is going 45 ... up a head there is a passing lane.... now hes doing 70 so no one can get around him .. tthen soon as he get back to one lane slows back down to 45...

thinks everyone should slow down cause he is..don't wanna go the speed limit... stay off the road..or pull off first chance that's safe...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I don't know how many service calls I did over the past 3 decades plus for drivers who pulled over on two lane roads to be courteous and had to pay for their miscalculations.

Not once has anyone ever stop for them when the situation happened, not the person passing, nor those following that's really poor
JMO... but anyone who doesn't know when it's safe or not to pull over, shouldn't be behind the wheel....

going too slow cause you don't know what you are doing is just as dangerous as going too fast...

I followed a guy from needles up to searchlight... wind had him allover the road..more than once he was in the on coming traffic.... think he pulled out
were it was safe.... nope just went slower still all over the road but slower
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #65

In town traffic like passing thru Amarillo, TX on I-40, I always try to keep several car lengths behind the front car. I always have one hand close to the exhaust brake also in light traffic and I have it on in heavy traffic. This was especially helpful on my last trip thru when I was following a line of cars and trucks and all of a sudden the car in front of me swerves to the left and I am left staring at an old refrigerator laying in the lane ahead.
Luckily there was no traffic in the left lane around me so I swerved in time to miss it as well. I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw cars doing a snake behind me trying to avoid the frig.
After finding a place to pull over and changing my pants, I hoped someone would push it off the side of the Interstate. I told the restaurant we stopped at about it and ask them to call the police. Don't know if they did or not.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
it's called going with the flow... I'm talking the guy is going 45 ... up a head there is a passing lane.... now hes doing 70 so no one can get around him .. tthen soon as he get back to one lane slows back down to 45...

thinks everyone should slow down cause he is..don't wanna go the speed limit... stay off the road..or pull off first chance that's safe...
Quote:
JMO... but anyone who doesn't know when it's safe or not to pull over, shouldn't be behind the wheel....

going too slow cause you don't know what you are doing is just as dangerous as going too fast...

I followed a guy from needles up to searchlight... wind had him allover the road..more than once he was in the on coming traffic.... think he pulled out
were it was safe.... nope just went slower still all over the road but slower
Was going with the flow the other day on I15 by Cedar City. Road was icy, was snowing and windy. Still was passed by folks who seemed to think it was summertime. Go figure.

Always have to think the half of the drivers out there are below average. Take that half off of the road and there are still half of the drivers who are below average travelling.

Not trying to excuse the fellow you mention but they are in the minority. I have travelled the road from Needles to Searchlight many times. A goodly portion of it is twinned and the rest is narrow, rough, with many dips. As I recall the two lane portion is about 24 miles with several long straight sections that make passing fairly easy. There are no passing lanes on the two lane section.

I have been on that section when a half ton crossed center line from the inside of a curve into the path of a semi. Did not look good for either vehicle. We got there just as the helicopter was leaving the scene. Traffic was backed up for miles. First guess would be that speed was an issue from the extent of the damage - the front wheel was ripped off of the semi.

The difference traveling the 24 miles at the speed limit which is 65 against traveling the same distance at 45 is about 10 minutes.

I agree that is is frustrating when everyone does not drive the speed limit, but the speed limit is the maximum not the minimum.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Was going with the flow the other day on I15 by Cedar City. Road was icy, was snowing and windy. Still was passed by folks who seemed to think it was summertime. Go figure.

Always have to think the half of the drivers out there are below average. Take that half off of the road and there are still half of the drivers who are below average travelling.

Not trying to excuse the fellow you mention but they are in the minority. I have travelled the road from Needles to Searchlight many times. A goodly portion of it is twinned and the rest is narrow, rough, with many dips. As I recall the two lane portion is about 24 miles with several long straight sections that make passing fairly easy. There are no passing lanes on the two lane section.

I have been on that section when a half ton crossed center line from the inside of a curve into the path of a semi. Did not look good for either vehicle. We got there just as the helicopter was leaving the scene. Traffic was backed up for miles. First guess would be that speed was an issue from the extent of the damage - the front wheel was ripped off of the semi.

The difference traveling the 24 miles at the speed limit which is 65 against traveling the same distance at 45 is about 10 minutes.

I agree that is is frustrating when everyone does not drive the speed limit, but the speed limit is the maximum not the minimum.
we quit driv'n that stretch and started going though kingmen to get the divided high way.... more than once we had Russian roulette passers in our lane try'n to pass one more car
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
we quit driv'n that stretch and started going though kingmen to get the divided high way.... more than once we had Russian roulette passers in our lane try'n to pass one more car
Do you drive 95 AZ or CA? I assume you are coming from or going to the south.

I do not think it matters where you drive you will find the RR passers. We were driving down I15 and some IDIOT was changing lanes trying to get through a group of traffic. We were all traveling just above the speed limit but this yahoo went as far as to pass on the shoulder to get around a couple cars. Passed him a little farther down the road where he was talking to a CHP.

The title of this thread is patience. There are other threads dealing with stupidity.