Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2022, 02:04 AM   #1

Unhappy Peculiar ignition/electrical issues

Some strange issues that happen on and off:
  • Ignition will engage and engine will start, but certain electrical features will not work: fog lights, roof spot light, separate defrost fans (not the dash heater/AC--these work fine). These are all features which are powered only when ignition is engaged. Everything else works okay (things that are not powered only on ignition work fine, like regular headlights, reading lights, etc.) The problem goes away if I restart the engine, sometimes I need to restart it a few times. It has also started working again by itself after I shift gears and drive forward a bit too. Also worth mentioning, ACC features will work, like the backup camera and the radio. These features will not work without the key, but they work in ACCESSORY mode (IGNITION mode is not needed for these to work).
  • Windshield wiper (driver's/left side) will not work on intermittent mode most of the time. This does not coincide at all with the previous point. This happens independently and very rarely does the intermittent mode work. Regular speed mode works fine. Unfortunately the right/passenger wiper is physically disconnected from the motor, must have broken off, so I cannot compare the functionality between the right and left wipers. I know the right motor does work though, because I can physically see it rotating when I test it and open the front bay up. It's just physically disconnected from the wiper arm.
  • Rarely, both the ignition and accessory mode will not engage at all. When key is held down in the start position, nothing happens. This doesn't happen too often, but it happens enough that I am worried. Once before (and only once), the engine shut off on its own while idling. When shut off, they key of course was still in the ignition position, but no electrical was on (i.e., it was as if the coach was completely off). This does not coincide with the first two points, because the coach will often start and drive, but the first point/problem still happens (i.e., this third point happens much less frequently than the first point, and so while they may be related, they certainly don't go hand in hand).

My motorhome has 5 solenoids in the chassis electrical bay. Chassis battery disconnect, coach battery disconnect, coach/chassis crossover charging solenoid (which was recently replaced), and two other ones which I don't know much about. I'm assuming one is ignition. One is connected directly to the chassis battery disconnect solenoid, the other is connected to a large "main" board of some sort which has wires going to various things like back up lights, signals, cruise control, etc.

The first point, I really don't understand. If it was the ignition solenoid, wouldn't this mean that the entire coach wouldn't start? I have checked all fuses time and time again, and like I said, it works on and off.

The second point, I don't get at all, and I don't really know where I should begin.

The third point, I thought might be the ignition solenoid going bad. Anything else it could be?
1993 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser diesel pusher, 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed Allison. I tend to act before I think. It gets me into trouble, and so I end up here in the forums asking for help. I learn the hard way. Thank you all for your help.
DarkVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2022, 05:16 AM   #2

I have one ignition solenoid that powers all or most items that you pointed out, it then feeds many ACC items on ATC type fuse rail. But another coach had 3 plug in ignition relays instead of my solenoid.
You really could use a wiring diagram to help find the related circuits not powering up. Maybe you can back track the fuses not being powered at the time to the source.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ignition