RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Performance Chips 460 cu in

Howdy, got a 1997 Southwind with a 460 cu in. 25,000 miles, has anyone installed a performance chip on one of these engines and found a performance improvement i.e. more hp and torque??? I know there are a lot of snake oil folks out there that promise you big gains. I am looking for one that definitely and realistically helps if such a thing exists. Don't expect much in the mpg area.

Thanks
Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Iíd love to know too. I too have a 97 F53 460 with 11k miles. I just recently had the Banks Longtube headers installed and their claim of 70hp/118tq is true. That was a world of difference noticed even in the parking lot going to the street from the exhaust shop!
cm2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #3

Performance chips

Well I have been looking on the internet and I just don't trust most sellers claims so thought that I would try this forum and I might learn something. I have read so many positive comments about the Banks system and congratulations on your install I am ordering a K&N filter some new plug wires and iridium spark plugs. I find it hard to understand why Ford elected to install a 245 hp engine in these heavy motor homes when they could have pumped it up to 300 hp easily. Is the Banks system compatible with the ford transmission? Thats a lot of gained hp and torque. I am sure it is strong enough but the thought just came to mind. I just bought this 1997 with 25,000 miles on it. The owners took real good care of it but it was stored in the open for 5 years here on the Oregon Coast and I had to re-mediate a lot of rust on the chassis so I got it for $8500.00. I installed new brakes all around, new stero, and tv's . I have had new tires installed including the spare. Only have done one short two day trip with it and we really enjoyed it. Going to Arizona from Oregon in late December and for the month of February so this will be our first long haul road trip. Can't afford a Banks system at this time so just looking for a little more power. I am not towing anything so it will probably do just fine. Best Regards
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

5 Star Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
Well I have been looking on the internet and I just don't trust most sellers claims so thought that I would try this forum and I might learn something. I have read so many positive comments about the Banks system and congratulations on your install I am ordering a K&N filter some new plug wires and iridium spark plugs. I find it hard to understand why Ford elected to install a 245 hp engine in these heavy motor homes when they could have pumped it up to 300 hp easily. Is the Banks system compatible with the ford transmission? Thats a lot of gained hp and torque. I am sure it is strong enough but the thought just came to mind. I just bought this 1997 with 25,000 miles on it. The owners took real good care of it but it was stored in the open for 5 years here on the Oregon Coast and I had to re-mediate a lot of rust on the chassis so I got it for $8500.00. I installed new brakes all around, new stero, and tv's . I have had new tires installed including the spare. Only have done one short two day trip with it and we really enjoyed it. Going to Arizona from Oregon in late December and for the month of February so this will be our first long haul road trip. Can't afford a Banks system at this time so just looking for a little more power. I am not towing anything so it will probably do just fine. Best Regards
I have a 2008 Ford V10 F53 and I just recently put a K&N filter and a 5 Star 87 Daily/Tow tune in it. I can immediately tell the difference while just hitting the gas pedal in park. The throttle response was much improved. It's not a race car but I am very satisfied with performance gains.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
W I find it hard to understand why Ford elected to install a 245 hp engine in these heavy motor homes when they could have pumped it up to 300 hp easily. Is the Banks system compatible with the ford transmission? That's a lot of gained hp and torque.
It's not the horsepower that matters - it's the torque. Horsepower is made further up on the powerband (at higher RPM), torque is at low rpm where these motorhomes live.

These big block Ford engines make a lot of torque. Probably around 400 lbs-ft in near stock form.

I have a 460 in my truck (with some performance mods) and its putting out 450 hp and 600 lbs-ft torque. It's not hard to do with these engines. The stock crankshaft can handle 1000 hp. The weak parts are the rods and rod bolts (which are not an issue if rpm is kept under 5000). The next weak link is the cylinder head. The valves and ports on the exhaust side are too small. If you wanted to go internal, replacing the heads with some aluminum aftermarket heads would make a big difference. If you want to stay external (bolt-on) the chips and Banks products will help.

The best mod you can do is first installing a free-flowing exhaust system (larger pipes and/or dual exhaust, and a low restriction muffler(s).

The K&N air filter wont do much (if anything) unless it was dirty. You need to get the exhaust out first before the air and fuel can get to work. The fuel injection system will only inject enough fuel to meet the fuel/air ratio programmed in the computer (as determined by O2 sensor) the chips often fool the computer by sending it a low coolant temp signal so the engine runs richer, and also adds more timing advance. There is not much beyond that it can do.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #6

Torque is what moves an object......Horsepower is what keeps it moving
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
It's not the horsepower that matters - it's the torque...

No, it's not.

It is HORSEPOWER that gets you over the road at speed. An engine could develop 5,000 foot pounds of torque, but if it can only generate 100 horsepower it's not going to perform very well in a heavy vehicle.

It does not matter if it's a gas engine that develops 350 hp at 5,000 rpm or a diesel that develops 350 hp at 2,000 rpm, horsepower is horsepower.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

So you're say'n all of us that have built long rod, stroker motors that run in the 5 sec zone , do it with strictly horsepower.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

I really like your analogy. Thanks
Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

Performance Chips 460 cu in

Torque is a real measurement. Torque is the amount of twist an engine can produce. Twist, as in turn the crankshaft. Think torque wrench and how tight it can turn.

Horsepower is a derived number. It is a number derived from torque and RPM.

Both numbers are important, however they only mean something when torque and horsepower numbers are accompanied with the RPMs at which those numbers are achieved.

An engineís redline, and the torque & HP curves throughout the engineís RPM range is also important.

An engine that generates 500 ft/lbs of torque at 1,500 RPM vs one that generates the same at 5,000 RPM provide two totally different characteristics.

All of these issues are why electric motors are king. They can generate all their torque from 0 RPM throughout redline without torque falling off. With combustion engines it is a delicate balance... you really canít have it both ways.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Torque is what moves an object......Horsepower is what keeps it moving
I think I would X2 this quote. I think that is about as simple and accurate a definition can get.

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote