Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #1

Picking from six Class A - Any RED FLAGS on this list??

We are going tomorrow to look at six class A motorhomes. I don't want to get into the gas vs diesel debate. I just want to know if there are any red flags on this list like "that year/model had bad engines...transmissions...leaks...etc"

We are looking to buy used - but, there is ONE new RV on the list below because it is a floorplan that just came out this year and we are interested in looking at it.

2015 Forest River Legacy SR 340 360RB
2017 Bounder 35K
2010 Forest River Berkshire
2012 Tiffin Allegro Breeze
2011 Newmar Ventana 3971
2019 Fleetwood Bounder 36FP

We are trying to stay below $120k. This will be used for "as many trips as we can take" while I continue working another 6 years. Then we will retire and full-time and probably switch to different rig that addresses any issues we found during these six years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The Newmar is probably the best manufacturer on the list. Drive them ... that will tell you a lot more than this forum will ever tell you.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

I agree Newmar probably had the best initial quality of the coaches on your list, though when looking at used coaches condition is everything, check for any signs of water leaks, get up on the roof on hands and knees and inspect every inch of roof sealant. Also check tire date codes, don't rely on tread, RV tires tend to age out before they wear out, and should be replaced about every 7 years regardless of how they look. If the coach passes your initial evaluation, and you are ready to make a serious offer, then hire a professional rv inspector to look at it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Obviously the floor plan is important but personally I’d take a Bounder. Looked at both a Newmar Bay Star and. Bounder last year (both new models but with a 30K price difference) and IMHO the Bounder had a better overall build quality. The interior was just more solid. But hey to each his own
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
The Newmar is probably the best manufacturer on the list. Drive them ... that will tell you a lot more than this forum will ever tell you.
I agree - floor plan should also be critical (I'm guessing that's how OP got down to the short list).

Drive the Newmar and Tiffin - end of list.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Newmar and Tiffin are hard to beat, and in 6 years their re-sale value will more than likely not drop as much....
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Agree w Newmar or Tiffin comments. If prices and condition are similar I would think the Ventana would win hands down.
We love our Ventana... I especially like the Comfort Drive. Do some reading here about CD it is much more than a gimmick but hard to evaluate with a short test drive.
Our VTDP has dual pane windows which were a must for me having had them on a previous MH. Even w all of the above layout is still a primary factor all the quality in the world won't overcome a layout you don't like.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

We have a 2018 36P and absolutely love the floorplan. We have 190 nights and 14k miles so far and no problems other than needing a new step motor. I checked out all the others including Newmar, Tiffin, etc and for the money the quality and finish was the best deal per dollar on the Fleetwood.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

more info:

yes, I came up with this list because 80% of the time it will be just wife and I... however, when we do bring along family members I want either a bath and 1/2 OR I at least want a bathroom that does not split the coach in two.

Many of the floorplans place the shower in the center of the coach in a way that if any person is taking a shower that cuts off the coach from there back. This means if my daughter is taking a shower and my shoes are in the bedroom closet I cannot get to them.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I’d take an 8yr old Newmar or Tiffin over a forest river or Fleetwood product every day.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Another vote for the Newmar or Tiffin if they have the floorplan you like and are in top condition.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #12

Newmar and Tiffin issues

We are looking for something that will be family friendly a few times a year (more beds/bathrooms). The rest of the time it will just be the wife and I.

the Newmar and Tiffin at this dealer have the following issues

Newmar
- no extra beds except a couch bed
- the previous owner did some weird mods removing couch / moving tvs to odd locations / etc

you can see it here - https://www.mhsrv.com/2011-newmar-ve...er-tx-i2406452
It is also about $10k more than our budget

Tiffin
- I put this on my list because Tiffin / Diesel / unique floorplan / $92k price
- bad part is this is NOT family friendly at all.

- not a lot of sleeping spots
- shower divides coach in half so when someone is taking a shower the bedroom is off limits
https://www.mhsrv.com/2012-tiffin-al...er-tx-i2398269
Old 11-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
You have heard from plenty and I will echo that I personally would not buy a coach on your list from any mft other than Tiffin or Newmar. To me, the build quality is just superior and the customer service is fantastic.

The biggest thing I would suggest, and take it for what it's worth because we are newbies, but, I would never buy a coach based on my family staying a few weekends a year. I love the Lord, my wife, my grand children and my children. The Lord stays here daily, the wife stays here daily, and the grand kids and our children are welcome occasionally.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

That Ventana is a nice coach with a nice floorplan. Yes - the previous owner did a few odd things (like that dresser with the TV on it in the living room) but the decor is current, and it looks like all electric. If the maintenance checks out, maybe grind a bit on the price of that one...
Lanzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a