Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Smile picking up my new 2012 Allegro 36LA next week

I'm picking up my new 2012 Allegro 36LA next week in Portland, OR. Not sure if I need an extended warranty maybe I won't need it for the 1st year? I heard Tiffin is a great MH and they take care of you.

Is it advisable to install the tow-bar myself or have it installed by a professional? I'll be towing a Ram 1500. Myself never installed one otherwise i'm pretty handy and try installing/fixing anything with success before going for help.

any help on these matters are greatly appreciated.

thanks
Bluestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
CONGRATULATIONS and good luck with the Tiffin. I've always heard that they were great. The tow bar itself is just a quick connect to the receiver, now the truck base plate is another story. Lot of work to install. I'm having one installed on my Saturn Vue next week by a professional, too involved for me.
Good Luck
Gus
2012 Challenger
Harley Ultra
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new MH. Have some fun in that new playground this summer! In all probability, you may very well be a better installer than the one you find somewhere else. I am always getting the extended warranty on things I buy and nearly all the time it is not worth it. Sometimes it is though. Will you sleep better by getting the warranty or not. That's what I try to figure out. Enjoy your new MH.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrates on the New Rig, put many good miles on her.
Go to etrailer.com and check the videos. There may be one for the Ram 1500. If it looks easy do it yourself,
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You will enjoy your Tiffin. We are on our 2nd one and if we ever buy another it will probably be another Tiffin.

As far as extended warranties go your coach and all appliances will be covered for 1 year from the date of purchase. Some items will be covered longer. So I would wait until the first year is up if you decide to buy one. I chose not to due to all the problems you have getting the extended warranty companies to cover claims. READ THE FINE PRINT and document everything.

Tiffin will also pay for your first year of Coachnet Emergency Road Service so you won't need to worry about ERS for the first year.

If you have warranty problems and there isn't a Tiffin Certified shop close to you (or if you aren't happy with the one close to you) Tiffin will allow you to take it to other service centers for warranty work and pay for it.

Tiffin also has a quarterly "Roughing it Smoothly" magazine that you will start receiving. It will contain articles of new Tiffin coaches and a wealth of other information. It is free and you do not have to join any clubs to receive it.

If you haven't checked out the Tiffin RV Network do so. It is ran by Tiffin owners and does not allow commercial advertising.

TiffinRVNetwork

If you have any problems you can call Bob Tiffin and he will be glad to help you.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Congrats on the new Tiffen, I just closed on mine last weekend and I am picking it up this saturday.
I bought the 34TGA, on a 24,000# chassis, first one of it's kind I am told.
I would suggest you look at weights and capacities prior to investing money in a tow bar. I checked Dodges site and a regular cab, 2wd, 8' box P/U is just a few hundred pounds under the hitch capacity.
More importantly I would recommend weighing your unit, empty and with cargo so you can verify where your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight will be.
You may want to rent a dolly and pull your truck with it for a day or two as a test.
Good Luck!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #7

It sounds like we made the right choice by getting a Tifffin. We appreciate your quick response.

Happy travels
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #8

I know it's about 5000 lbs and on top of that I'll have my Harley Sportster on the bed.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I've set up two Toads: an older Toyota Rav4 and a newer Honda CR-V. I installed Roadmaster baseplates on both. Their directions are excellent\, you can download the directions from their website and evaluate the work needed. I found the baseplates much easier to install than the wiring for the taillights. It just takes a lot of creativity and fishing to get the wires to the rear of the Toad. I would not hesitate to install another baseplate myself. Buy the best tow bar available with the appropriate weight capacity. I have the Sterling All-Terrain and it is very easy to hook/unhook.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestones View Post
I know it's about 5000 lbs and on top of that I'll have my Harley Sportster on the bed.
Thanks for your reply.
WOW, I am sure you will be over all the capacities. I would rethink this as any issues that arise could void any warranties at the least or be extremely unsafe at the worst!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess my take on it is, if you think you need a service policy on a brand new rig, I'd look for something of better quality.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed my own tow equipment on my moho and the baseplate on my Smart Car, with a little extra muscle help, and I'm a girl who never worked on cars. If I can do it anyone willing to get their hands dirty can.

Most equipment has instructions available online. Take a look at the one you pick before you decide to pay or play.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

Allegro 36la

Did you get any discount on the 36la? It is a very nice rv.
Paammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The extended warranty is sort of a 50/50 deal. I would suggest if it is comfortably affordable to you, go for it. It is sort of on the same line as how much insurance you need vs what more can you afford. Question: You mentioned flat towing a Ram 1550. I assume that needs a driveshaft disconnect, doesn't it?
Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote