Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears you have started in the right place by reading the Owners manuals.
The big thing at PDI is to make sure they not only show you but allow you to perform some of the basic stuff, like setting the jacks and letting out the slides. Make sure you understand what has to be done in which order and which doors have to be in what position if you have that type of slides, also the bed position if it has to be up to let the slide in.
Have them show you exactly where the cutout switches are for the chassis and house batteries. Make sure to start the generator and divorce from shore power and see if everything still works, the AC's the fridge.
Have them show you how to fill the Potable water and dump sanitary.
Turn on all of the TV's and see if you can get them to work from different sources, bring a DVD with you. Check out the stereo system, all the speakers every where.

Now when you get it home take it camping and check out everything else you could not check at the dealer and make a list of what needs fixing or replacing, every light, every door and lock, every switch and button, the washer and dryer. If you are handy you can fix some of the things your self and just get the parts from the dealer. The other things set a date to drop it off and plan on it being there awhile for the big things.

If you have Satellite make sure you check it out also, on every TV.
Remember the Owners Manual will cover all of this but knowing is half the battle.

Now go and enjoy your new Motor Home
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also video taped my first PDI when I bought a 1990 Conquest Micro-mini. Although I had a tent trailer, the systems in the motorhome were new to me. I referenced it often.

When I bought my current motorhome, I didn't video it as I remembered everything and it was short one anyway.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #17
YC1

Ditto on getting the owners manual. You may be able to download it.

Read it using a highlighter and take notes. There will be a test down the road somewhere and it is an open book test so the sooner you know where to find the answers the better. You may be out of cell coverage and not able to ask for help here.

If you have a savvy youngster around take them along too. Their memory may be better and they may know more than you think about the entertainment center.

Video taping the whole thing may actually distract you. There are some excellent videos available on many of the items you will be learning.

Just as an example. You can study how the auto generator functions, if you are getting that.

There are some outstanding videos on how to drive a DP too. Be sure to check those out.

Our first RV was a tiny camper on the back of a Toyota 4WD pickup when they first hit the market. Pretty simple but luxurious.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Push every button, take extra care remembering winterizing. Take a plugin 120 volt tester, the little yellow one with three lights on it and test every plugin socket. I might purchase a kill-a-Watt plug it in, you will see a voltage drop when turning on major item. Some you cannot see if they are working or not for several minutes, like electric water heater or refer if it's gas electric. Test every lock, bays doors, test keys and get a hide-a-key with a start and entry key asap. If inverter check what is energized by it. Play close attention to electric bay and battery on/off how what. Sit in drivers seat and press every switch and make sure they all work. Same with entertainment system. Vid as others have said or take notes if not able to. Things that sound soooooo simple all of a sudden get complicated when there is no one to help. Last remember we are here too, we all went through the learning curve and most of us are still learning after 50 plus years.
HAVE FUN.

LEN
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

Couple different approaches to this. There is the first item where you need to learn how to operate all the varied systems. The second piece is you need to make sure everything works.
I've purchased a couple RVs and yes yes yes'd the person doing the PDI because in reality they know generic stuff. They probably don't know if you need to dump the air and level before extending the slides or extend the slides first. So, taking a video may or may not help if they are giving you incorrect information. Go through with it and ask questions. I agree, actually doing it will help. Hook up the water, fill it, hook up and empty the black/gray tanks, level the coach, check the electronics that everything works. Personally don't care how long it is "supposed" to take. Chances are they are charging you good money for the PDI so take advantage of what you are paying for.
The second aspect of this is I would not take delivery (more specifically (Pay/Transfer) any money until I did the PDI and ALL items are repaired to my satisfaction BEFORE transfer of title and money.
I know you are excited and can't wait to get into the RV. Offering advice on if I had to do it again. After 5 months of my brand new RV sitting at the dealer waiting for them to fix my warranty items and me not being able to use it I realize the errors in my ways. Once they have the money you should expect them to not really care a whole heck of a lot.
I also purchased at Lazy Days in Tampa.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #20

This is really terrific information and I thank each of you for your input. One thing I'm still not 100% clear about is where I take the coach after the PDI?

The PDI is over, the dealer fixed what needs fixing and now I'm 1500 miles our more away the dealer/factory.

• I have a punch list of several minor things, who do I call for warrantee work?
• I have a more major problem, Generator doesn't work or slide will not fully retract or refrigerator doesn't work or dash air stops working or 15000 BTU roof air stops working etc, etc, etc!

I call the factory and they tell me where to go?

I don't want to pull the conversation away from the new coach PDI. I just want to make sure I understand how the process works?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Start with your dealer if they're local. If not call the customer service line of the Mfg. and get an authorized dealer near you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I've read many posts on PDI's to ensure you do all you can to do everything reasonably possible (before driving off the lot) to find Any problems and have them attended too.

My PDI will be on a new DP at the dealer location. It is also my first motorhome or RV of any kind. I tell you this because many of you come from years of RVing and maybe even multiple motorhomes. So you know what you're doing and things to pay special attention too that I couldn't possibly know.

If you can put yourself back to that time when you were new and share the things you should of done, could have done and/or forgot to do. I'd really like to hear from you!

A friend of mine told me to video the entire PDI and that's sounds like a capital idea! I have an iPhone, would you use a cell phone to video or a more dedicated video camera?

I'm just thinking about being all excited about my new coach and missing and forgetting many of the things I was shown and told about. It would be great to have a video to go back over whenever needed.

You guys are the best,

Harry
We picked our coach up at the dealers. We had the PDI over two days (mornings) in order to help reduce information overload. We were also able to park with power and access to water and dumping in the dealers lot.

The dealer was excellent. Even now after 3 years I call the service manager for information on some of the systems I am unsure about.

I think you have to observe and try everything. After the tech leaves work everything. Move the slides in and out several times, run the multiplex system and all of the TV's.

Try not to leave the dealers until you feel comfortable with most or all of the systems. Arrange if you can for a few days of local camping to test the systems.

Camping close to a Walmart for access to their store can be beneficial as you will always find something you need, forgot or would like.