Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it depends on where you are. I just checked GasBuddy. Pilot has the lowest price before the discount here, today.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I guess it depends on where you are. I just checked GasBuddy. Pilot has the lowest price before the discount here, today.
Because you are looking at gas prices. Pilot/FJ GAS prices are as competitive as any station and you can use your Good Sam or Pilot/FJ Loyalty card at the pump and get the discount with a receipt.

Apparently, Diesel is a completely different world there.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #17

We are Good Sam Members and have never had any problem using the Club Card to receive instant discounts at Flying J's pumps for gas, propane or dump stations in the US.
It has recently been increased from $0.03/gallon to $0.05.
Not all stations Canada support the fuel discount program yet.
On travel days, we appreciate spending a night at Flying J and always try to reciprocate with fuel purchases.
If we're on the Interstate and need fuel, we stop at the "J" rather than searching around for the lowest price in the area.
A couple of cents here and there don't make a difference when I consider they offer us a free night's stay.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #18

Just checked around here and today they are quite a bit higher for diesel. Other times I have seen them much closer. They are supposed to be B10 right now (according to their web site) around here don't know what other places have. Today it is about a .30 premium to use a truck stop without discounts.

They tend to be priced like the other large truck stops from what I have seen. I tend to use truck stops due to access. Close to interstate and easy in-out. Plus can stop and grab a bite with parking also. Also I need DEF about every other fill.

I also have to weigh how far off route I have to go since I get 5.5-6.5 mpg. I think a lot of the mpg diff. may have been due to difference between B5 and B20. So be sure it's an apples to apples number. For me that 18% difference could make the prices competitive.

Tom
Old 11-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

Two weeks ago, I checked the fuel price at the Flying J at Eloy, AZ @ exit 208 on I-10. It was 3.18 before discount. At a Pride Truck Plaza @ exit 45, it was $2.65. Today, All the fuel stops between Elephant Butte, NM and Benson, AZ ranged from $3.11 to $3.19. I bought fuel at the Junction Express one mile south of I-10 in Benson for $2.72 after the 8 cent discount they give anyone that asks. Saved $60 on a 122 gallon fillup. This last trip has made a believer out of me. I like the Flying J's for the convenience, but not when they are fleecing my back pocket.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:35 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Found this website which will tell you truck stops along your route and their fuel prices.

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And I question whether or not you are actually GETTING a discount since they don't give you a receipt at the pump....

I will still use them every once in while but gasbuddy shows me SO many other places to save more !
If you go inside for a receipt or look at your purchases through the app it will show the discount.

I have the charge card and I like it. Yes the fuel is usually higher at interstate truck stops but the convenience is worth it. When comparing truck stops at a single exit I rarely find one that is still cheaper with the $.08 discount included.

I am 63' with toad and don't want to worry about maneuvering through a local station.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #22

The only advantage I find with Pilot/FlyingJ is most have fast food of some brand onsite. If we are looking for a quick food fuel stop we might stop, otherwise I avoid them. Much higher diesel prices even with the discount and usually biodeisel.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
All the Flying J's I stop at in GA on I75 their price is about only 1¢ more then the nearby Love's.
But with my Good Sam 8¢ discount on Diesel and using my Visa 3% cash back CC at the pump and receiving a receipt at the pump at their RV Islands. Easy in & out for me at around 55'.

After filling and then parking I go inside to a Denny's and get a $4 breakfast with Biskits/Gravy 2 eggs and hash browns. Then pay using my 15% discount AARP card.

That works for me. Plus the price and blend % for fuel is posted every morning on their web site Usually I75 exit 320 is the cheapest.
Only thing I wish they would change. Is make the RV parking lanes a little wider and a few more of them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I just have a problem with these stations (Love's, Pilot, and Flying J) that routinely have their cash/credit price for fuel 20-30 cents a gallon higher than independent truck stops...and that is the rule rather than the exception West of the Mississippi. I do appreciate that most Love's are clean and well kept.

But...I can overnight at some RV parks for the difference and not have truckers roaring by me within five feet (seemingly on purpose as there is plenty of room and I am way off the beaten path of the parking lot when I overnight).

This all suggests that the trucking companies are getting discounts while the rest of us pay the full price. Doesn't seem fair, so I'll use the independents, particularly when I see other trucks there filling up.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #25

Pilot Fuel Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I guess I just have a problem with these stations (Love's, Pilot, and Flying J) that routinely have their cash/credit price for fuel 20-30 cents a gallon higher than independent truck stops...and that is the rule rather than the exception West of the Mississippi. I do appreciate that most Love's are clean and well kept.

But...I can overnight at some RV parks for the difference and not have truckers roaring by me within five feet (seemingly on purpose as there is plenty of room and I am way off the beaten path of the parking lot when I overnight).

This all suggests that the trucking companies are getting discounts while the rest of us pay the full price. Doesn't seem fair, so I'll use the independents, particularly when I see other trucks there filling up.

These are excellent and important points!
I'll add that most of the newer fuel stations have more space and improved design layouts. They are simply easier to enter, maneuver and exit. This is a boost for folks that are timid with anything other than a straight in/straight out configuration.
"Convenience" and the ability to buy a meal, and/or dump and overnight in a hammering racket of noise....are hardly "kind paybacks" for access.
My DW makes lunch while I fill the tank. Much better and healthier overall than "fast food". And, YES, we stay at a clean, quiet campground for less that our savings on lunch and fuel.
Do folks realize that a 5 or 8 cent discount/gallon on $3 diesel is only 1.7 or 2.7 percent? That's only $4.80 or $7.80 on 100 gallons!
And "waisted time searching for a cheaper station" is a moot point with GasBuddy!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And I question whether or not you are actually GETTING a discount since they don't give you a receipt at the pump....

I will still use them every once in while but gasbuddy shows me SO many other places to save more !
I agree about Gas Buddy but the discount at FJ should show up on the pump. In places where there is competition $.05 makes me happy.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
With my Pilot/Flying J card I get $.08 per gallon off the cash price. This is generally competitive but rarely the rock bottom price compared to the credit price at other stations. That said, it is well worth the few cents to know I have easy in and out with my rig and toad (over 60 feet combined) and plenty of overhead clearance at just over 13 feet tall. I also sleep well at night knowing I am getting diesel with high turnover and therefor less likelihood of water or contaminants in it. It is a matter of choice for me and not about a few dollars and cents. And that's is just my two cents worth.....LOL
I'll not try to sway others to use PFJ, I like not having to wait in line to refuel. I get the 8 cent discount using my GS card + 2% cashback on my Discover card. FWIW the PFJ RV card doesn't give as much off as the GS card.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #28

Pilot Fuel Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'll not try to sway others to use PFJ, I like not having to wait in line to refuel. I get the 8 cent discount using my GS card + 2% cashback on my Discover card. FWIW the PFJ RV card doesn't give as much off as the GS card.

Not to worry, there are many that will not be swayed!
BTW, in my own camper-to-camper poll, there is a ton of waiting at P/FJ and Loves. I see the backups while filling up across the street where all of the MHs and diesel pickups go!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6597.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	183911
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel