Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODFUNGUY View Post
I have owned 5 MH in the last 25 years. I have done lots of minor repairs and a few over my head that I figured out and solved. I have a lady friend who bought a new 2005 Newmar mountain Air 40 ft. Taking delivery I was the guy who put the delivery instructor to the test. I did not let him just say that switch does-X- I had him cycle the switches ,knobs and dials. Found a couple of large problems and several small. One large was the furnace would not come on.
The found looked and found the circuit board was bad, Said they would order one have in in a couple weeks, would call and make an appointment. Well they were talking about the problem I went in to the service department and ask how for out are the appoints they said--7 weeks--. I told her that would be a problem as it was November and it was cold. She went right to the owner office and walked into his office. 45 minutes later one had been pulled out of a coach and was being installed in hers.
The other problem was the tracking satellite would not work. They had to order a gear pack for it. and said as soon as it came in they would installed.
I lost track of her the next year. Last time I did talk to her she had 13,000 miles on the coach it still did not work and she had it to 3 different shops all over the states.
Sir in you inspection you be there an ask for all the buttons be pushed making sure things what they are suppose to do.
So true and excellent advice, spot on
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
So true and excellent advice, spot on

The inspector I used is Class II certified and very experienced. He went through it very carefully and methodically. It came through well. It needs a roof seal and just a few minor things. I’m very satisfied with the inspection and that it’s a good coach.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #59

Good for you! Been rving for 57 years; had 40' Beaver. Loved it, just one thing to be aware of; National Parks are not built for a large mh. Wish they were, we downsized to a 26' class A. Best thing we ever did, can get in anywhere. Traveling up the western coast we missed out on a lot due to difficulty in finding a place to park for a big mh. Maybe you have already considered this, and don't think of it as a problem. Good luck to you, may it be exactly what you want!!! Sherri
campsherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Make a counter offer based on the inspection report. Hopefully he will agree to have it repaired and if not and you really like it offer to split the cost.

I just finished doing that to my roof, I’m luckily in that I store the rig indoors with full hookups at my office so it wasn’t a big deal. I used a multi tool with a scrapper blade attachment. It took the caulking right off. Then I cleaned the area with mineral spirits and finally resealed it.

Best of luck.
What multi tool scrapper blade?
Old 01-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #61

Arrow Coach purchase with Doug427

Mileage is not an issue. Those diesel go forever. Horsepower and torque are more important to me. My Beaver has a Cat 625 horsepower by PDI. I see coaches cheaper and also more expensive. I have mine priced at $129k. And yes i will have to come down. But i would be checking tires and batteries. I know for a fact that a lot of coaches are cheap up front and then you find you need more stuff. 8 Tires 6 batteries and 4 point alignment and you are looking around 9,000. But most important is finding one that cover you needs is in good condition and then get on the road. We have almost 20 years of RVing and 10 full time. Best time of our lives. Age is the only reason we are scaling down to 1 and 2 weekend trips. Mountainaire are great coaches. Welcome to the RV community and wishing you many miles of smiles. You may reach me at 435-862-9534 any questions.
Anbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #62

New used or old used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Bon Chance!

I've been following your journey and was almost going to send you a PM to see what your status was on selecting a coach. Once you complete the bargaining process, the real adventure begins. Remember that no coach is perfect and things will break or need attention over time.

Standing by to read (and perhaps contribute towards) the 100 plus one questions you are going to have.

I have been reading posts about people buying very old coaches. When we bought our last one, we set a maximum age of no older than 2012 and no more miles than
25,000. Of course that meant we had to purchase a mid priced coach rather than a high end “much older” one. We settled on a 2012 Fleetwood Expedition diesel pusher which looked and felt new with only 18,000 miles on it and a LOT of whistles and bells Of course I would rather have had a Tiffin or Newman but would have to have gone much older with more miles. Which would have been the better choice? I would love comments from experienced RVers.
Cappycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappycat View Post
I have been reading posts about people buying very old coaches. When we bought our last one, we set a maximum age of no older than 2012 and no more miles than
25,000. …..
I guess I'll have to agree with the OP on this one. Most of us have a budget. I plan to go with older luxury model versus newer (entry level luxury). We just went to another RV show this weekend and even the new trailers look nice. Our biggest issue right now is if we are actually get bunks for the g-kids. We know they will only be with us for a very small amount of the time.
So, we've decided not to set a maximum on age and miles. We just feel this could keep us out of a 300-500k DP that someone loved and took great care of.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbocat View Post
Mileage is not an issue. Those diesel go forever. Horsepower and torque are more important to me. My Beaver has a Cat 625 horsepower by PDI. I see coaches cheaper and also more expensive. I have mine priced at $129k. And yes i will have to come down..
I've looked and can't find your MH online. I'm afraid mileage does matter for buyers. I'd love to look at the ad.

Nevermind. I found it on RVT. Beautiful MH.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Inspection First Not After Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and placed a firm offer. It's a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 43' tag axle, 400HP Cummins. Interior is the floor plan we want, it's been very well cared for. Less than 70,000 miles on it. I based my offer on verified sales figures for two identical coaches on the PPL site. Both sold for 11% less than his asking price. I lowered my offer by 5,000 from those sales prices based upon one of the sold RV's having 25% less mileage and the other having 50% less than this one. All told my offer came in at 16% less than asking price. Not sure if he'll accept or not. He's a cool guy, either way I wish him luck. This one has a couple of repairable boogers on it, all on the outside. Clear coat lifting in a couple of places. Main slide toppers removed. Not sure why, but they'll be replaced. If he accepts the offer price, professional inspection to follow.
I would have inspection by a Newmar dealer first. You can have $20,000 or more in frame or roof damage you cannot see. It happened to me.
JimLav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #66

We are fairly new to the RV world and are hitting the road for an extended trip south from Michigan in a few days. We bought a 2004 Newmar Northern Star 3931 from a private party in southwest Florida a couple years ago. It was in immaculate condition with all the original records. Had 48,000 miles and had been stored in an airplane hangar in Florida it’s entire life. The owner had also just had an inspection and repaired any defects. Brand new batteries and tires as well. We paid $65,000. With zero experience we drove off. Florida to Michigan in a five day trip. Everything worked fine. Sure, they all need maintenance and a little TLC but what doesn’t? I would not hesitate to recommend an older high end coach vs. a newer lesser model.
Did we just get lucky?
WildeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeLife View Post
…..Did we just get lucky?
Maybe. When it comes to the engine/cummins transmission there really isn't anything you can to do that will guarantee you won't have costly repairs. The rest of it could be inspected by an inspector or a very knowledgeable RV'er.

The OP paid for an inspection and it paid off. A seller is going to accept the word of a certified inspector over a buyer every time. It might not pay to have an inspection when dealing with an unreasonable seller. The OP's seller was both gracious and reasonable from what I can tell.

Some sellers appear to be able to say, " No pets, no kids, no fulltime, always stored indoors, etc. ". Some if this is not true.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #68

I bet he takes it! You weren’t low balling him.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFabbro View Post
What multi tool scrapper blade?
I used the Dewalt 20 volt oscillating multi tool. The scraper blade is standard and this tool made quick work of the existing sealant.

Once it was removed I cleaned the area with mineral spirts and then applied new self leveling sealant.

Pretty simple and straight forward. I probably used 30+ tubes of new sealant.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Some sellers appear to be able to say, " No pets, no kids, no fulltime, always stored indoors, etc. ". Some if this is not true.

I especially like the "no pets" RV's where you see a litter box, a dog bowl under the dinette, or my personal favorite, the drooling Golden Retriever next to the guy taking the picture, in the reflection in the bedroom mirrors!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, offer