Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #1

Places to fuel up in Pagosa Springs area

Driving DSDP to Pagosa and then smaller towns north of there, and need to know options for filling up with diesel as we leave Pagosa to head north. TIA
jshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

I don't buy diesel but I normally buy gas at the City Market station on the southside of town. Not sure they have diesel but they probably do. In and out isn't too bad but it can be busy during the day. There is also a Giant fuel station just north of there but I've never bought there. If you're coming up from the south, you might want to stop at a couple of stations right off of highway 160. I think there may be one near the Bayfield intersection. If you go past Pagosa, there isn't much until you get to South Fork and that's on the other side of Wolf Creek pass.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

Pagosa has several stations that have plenty of room for any rig. West of town and East of town. Try the Giant off of Piedra and 160. Easy in and out on the West side.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While you are there there is a resterant that was John Waynes favorate place to eat when they filmed in the area. I don't remimber the name of it but its worth a look up.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We hope you have fun visiting our state. Remember our "hills" are a bit large and stay off of your brakes (use your exhaust brake and downshift a lot). Also in Colorado there is a law that if you have more than five vehicles behind you, you need to pull over and let them pass. So be sure to use our plentiful turnouts to take in the views.

Have a great safe trip!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #6

For larger DP's, the mentioned Giant station will work. Take your time and get the first island as you come into the station.

We filled our 40' DP, with toad, at the station on the East side of town, just before the 84 to 160 junction. Same thing, we waited to get the pump closest to the street for making it a bit easier. We came in from the East entrance, heading west, so our toad was not blocking the parking to the convince store at the station.

Drive safe, have fun,
Smitty

Tip: Go to Google Maps, enter the town of Pagosa Springs, then use the Nearby feature and search for Diesel Fuel. Turn on the satellite view, and zoom down and even use Street View, to check out fuel stations (Or RV Parks, etc.). When going to a place I don't know, that is one of the ways I scout out fuel stops. And finally, if you're staying in an RV Park in the town - ask them which stops will work well for whatever your size DP is.
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #7

Be careful not to bash into the feed store.
Clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post
Be careful not to bash into the feed store.
Is there a story you are not sharing?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

CW McCall was a made up character (by an ad executive) who had a song called Wolfcreek Pass. The story is about two chicken hauling truck drivers who lost their brakes coming down off the pass. They didn't get stopped and crashed into a feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs.

Now I'm a flatlander from Florida by the way of PA and I rode my motorcycle across the country in 07. I specifically went over the Wolfcreek Pass just to see what I heard on my 8 track growing up. It's a hell of a long way from the bottom of the mountain to Pagosa Springs, so I suppose you'd be safe from the feed store even if you lost your brakes, but you wouldn't be from the twists and turns on that pass.

Same guy who wrote Convoy. If you're a driver you'd do well to have a CW McCall record on your iPod.
Clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #10

We filled in Durango on our way out.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #11

Just an update. I was in Pagosa Springs today and got gas at Giant just south of town. I was in my car but I did look to see if I could get in and out with my 35 foot Holiday Rambler. Getting in and out would be no problem. The problem I did see was that the pump I used was slooow. It took almost a minute per gallon. Had I needed to pump 50 or 60 gallons, I would have had to take a lunch break. On the plus side, they do have propane and it looked like a free dump station.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the question but wanted to say hello. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #13

There are no truck fuel stations in Pagosa (FL, Pilot, etc). I saw no fuel opportunities I was willing to use @ 44' plus tow car unless very early/late as they were crowded. I did see a few big rigs using this Conoco station 360 E Pagosa St, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147. If you are coming in on 160 from the east there are several big rig friendly stations (with truck islands) BEFORE getting to Pagosa. Alamosa had a station with truck islands and that is about 80 miles east on 160.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Get the GasBuddy app it well help with identifying gas stations and prices.

Tags
ace, fuel