Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Places to 'gas up' a Class A

We have taken one trip in our 2007 Class A (some 6600 miles) and found it very difficult to find a place to get gasoline and fit easily.

Many of the truck stops have gas in the front where cars fill up. Not always a lot of room and we found ourselves many times blocking some of the traffic routes.

This year will be especially challenging for this newbie as we will be towing a Jeep for the first time. As a newbie, I wont be backing up with that attached.

Any thoughts/ideas on finding places to gas up around the country that are as easily accessable as the deisel pumps?

Thanks,
pinnaclemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
1. We always carried a Next Exit book with us. It designates big rig friendly fuel stops
2. Google Maps satellite view is your friend. Use it to see if you will fit
3. When we had our 5-r & gas coach, we tried to use FJ's that had RV lanes as much as possible
4. Using Google Maps, scout out fuel stations with pumps parallel (not perpendicular) to the convenience store
5. If you absolutely HAVE to use fuel stations with pumps perpendicular, pick the outer most lane, so you see if you have enough swing room to get out
6. Last, if all else fails, disconnect your toad so you have less length with which to get out
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #3

Plan your route for possible fuel stops and use Google to check the view. Flying J has an RV lane, but some are tight with a toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Use gasbuddy to locate less expensive gas stations on your route.

Use googleearth to look at both satellite view and street view to verify you can get in and out.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

Thank you

Thanks for the tip about using google maps. I would never have thought to try that. Worht the price of admission to this site lol.
pinnaclemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also timing is a plus, try and plan your fuel stops during non rush hour times of the day, it will be less stressful
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Costco/sams club for gas class A at least everyone I have been to have good pump access and one way only in and out.

Get a Costco visa 4% back also Costco makes sure their gas is the cheapest in the 5 mile radius I believe. There is a 7k limit on the cash back I think.

I also think most quick trips are setup ok for fuel access and major grocery stores if you use the outside lanes.

Maverick stations tend to have good room also.

Avoid the 7-11 am/pm and such types tend to be very tight. Usually gas stops off the freeway are ok but tend to have higher prices.

Thatís my experience on the west coast.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV is 40' and I have no trouble getting in and out of Costco with and without my Toad. They are always my 1st choice if available.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My RV is 40' and I have no trouble getting in and out of Costco with and without my Toad. They are always my 1st choice if available.
When in Texas, go to Buccees. Everyone else does.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found to fill up at an end island has worked well. I do use google satilite map to view where and how I enter and exit the pumps.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #11

Along with what others have said, specifically look for pumps that parallel the station or are located away from the station. The worst are ones where pumps are perpendicular to the station.

Also often times stores out in the country are laid out all better for big rig access.

It takes some time and practice but you will get it. I am 70' long and while I fill my truck at commercial stations I still have to fill my fuel tanks on my toy hauler with gas.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
And don’t believe the internet articles that say to use truck stops. Pilot, TA, Flying J prices are almost always higher, even with Good Sam or other membership discounts. Use Gas Buddy, and plan your approach before you pull in. Is there an escape around the building? Where do you need to turn in order to get the pump on the correct side? Don’t worry so much about blocking, worry about getting in and out without damage. With the amount of fuel you are buying, I’m sure the operator won’t worry about it either. We’ve just completed two round trip xcountry trips in a 36 ft DP with a 24ft trailer. Never a problem that we couldn’t deal with, though we drove into some stations, then drove right out because we could see that it just wasn’t going to work.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #13

[QUOTE=pinnaclemans;5859103
Any thoughts/ideas on finding places to gas up around the country that are as easily accessable as the deisel pumps?
[/QUOTE]

In addition to the suggestions, above, I'm a big fan of the Pilot / Flying J app. While their pricing quality can vary, the app shows their nearest location and all of its services, including whether or not they have RV lanes for fuel or parking sites specifically designated for RVs. Hasn't failed me yet.
bakerfamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #14

Weíll fill up early if we come across a station with good access/egress. Donít like to run low and have to take whatís available. Plan ahead!!
bobmar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, class a, gas