Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Plastic rocker switches and cabinet latches

I have a 2003 HR Vacationer 34PDT. The rocker switch for starting the generator on the dash has broken. The switch still works fine, but I need to replace the plastic rocker part that just snaps in. Also several of the latches that are connected to the cabinet doors are broken and need to be replaced. Could someone point us in the right direction to find these type of parts?

Thanks

Al and Cindy
Fabfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Actually try Amazon.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler used Carling Technology V-Series Contura II rocker switches during that time and I believe your coach will have them.

There are places where you can purchase just the cover for a Carling rocker switch but when I search around for a vendor that sells them, they seem to have every cover but the "Gen Start" cover ...not sure why they are in such short supply. I'll look further to see if I can find it. They are only about $2-3 online.

However, if I can't find one, you can purchase the entire switch $12.95 at Northwest RV Supply in Oregon and just take the cover off and use it and keep the switch for later use.

GEN Start Switch at NW RV Supply

Pertaining to the cabinet latches, can you snap a quick photo of what is broken and where it's located on the cabinet door?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"theroc".....You can make your own switch here.....just print what you want it to say.

https://rockerswitchpros.com/
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

That site is a good reference, Don.

However, I remember when I looked through that site awhile back (and I'll look at it again to confirm) that to have a customized etching put on the cover, they charge an additional $12. So for ~$15, you can get the cover you want by having them customize but for $12.95, one can order the entire OEM cover and switch body from NW RV Supply.

I'll check to see if it still makes sense to order the OEM switch and cover from NW RV Supply or if it makes more sense to customize just the cover for ~$15 at rockerswitchpros.com.

Thanks.

eta: I don't know, it looks to me like if you choose from their list of custom symbols, it's $10-12. I don't see a switch that actually says "GEN START" as the OEM switch appears. Therefore, if you have them customize the switch cover from scratch using whatever symbol or wording you want, it appears to me that it's $30 !!! Like I say, I don't know if I'm interpreting that correctly or not.

I guess that's why even though I've known through the years that site exists, I don't usually recommend it if somebody is just looking for an OEM Carling switch actuator. If somebody does need a custom cover and price is no object, then I really like that site.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I needed a switch cover that just said radio, in my style. Couldn't find one anywhere. I ordered a custom one. Mine came to $19.01 for switch, cover and tax. ON/OFF only.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Holiday Rambler used Carling Technology V-Series Contura II rocker switches during that time and I believe your coach will have them.

There are places where you can purchase just the cover for a Carling rocker switch but when I search around for a vendor that sells them, they seem to have every cover but the "Gen Start" cover ...not sure why they are in such short supply. I'll look further to see if I can find it. They are only about $2-3 online.

However, if I can't find one, you can purchase the entire switch $12.95 at Northwest RV Supply in Oregon and just take the cover off and use it and keep the switch for later use.

GEN Start Switch at NW RV Supply

Pertaining to the cabinet latches, can you snap a quick photo of what is broken and where it's located on the cabinet door?
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check that out.
Fabfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those plastic latches are a constant issue. Ive started replacing them with a magnetic version. So far I’ve been pleased.

JQK Magnetic Cabinet Door Catch, Stainless Steel Closet Catches with Strong Magnetic, 1.2mm Thickness Furniture Latch 20 lbs (Pack of 4), CC101-P4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4TW3YY..._YdR0CbA0K99QK
Cowgomooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #9
YC1

https://www.otrattw.net/

Great prices. Be sure to get one of the special $2 plastic tool for removing them. You will need it in the future and it makes removing them so easy.

You can customize them too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #10

When it comes to cabinets. I'm real tempted to add new style pocket/slow close hinges. Need to router the pocket in proper location.They are real easy to realign . You would still need magnetic latch but maybe only half as much magnetic force to keep closed. Tiny doors maybe none.
I am not the finish carpenter type but my brother is.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch