Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Platform for Class A

I live in the Northeast, ct to be eact, the land is still soft from winter and spring so can't bring the MH into the yard. I have been trying to think of a platform I could build which would npot sink into the soft earth. Certainly a concrete pad would do it but i am looking for more of a removable p-latform which could be set down in spring and removed when ground hardens.

Class A 32 ft weight empty 12000 lbs.

It seems it is the front tires that sink the most.

I have thought of laying 2x8 or tens down, maybe 8 - 10 ft long for rears and front. 4 across and nailed with cross member. Do you think by spreading the wight over these it would stop the sinking or do you have a better idea.
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

I have four sheets of scrap 1/2" plywood that work very well here in NH.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Forum members have no idea how soft your ground is. Wood is the obvious affordable choice to lay down on the ground. However, size and thickness, would be a guess not knowing how soft your ground is. Crushed stone is another option. Steel plates would be another more expensive choice.

I was parked in a friend's yard in PA. It rained for a month. I had to put pallets outside my door to keep my shoes from sinking in. Sure did mess up that yard getting towed 300' back onto the blacktop.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

You might consider construction mats. They are made to distribute the weight of trucks over soft soil.

GeoTerra® Construction Mats - Presto Geosystems
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

2 x 10's should work. I would put down a couple running north to south (or however you need to park) & a couple more running east to west to drive on to. If you go this route be sure & get treated lumber. The construction mats would also work but they are probably expensive.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrtracr View Post
You might consider construction mats. They are made to distribute the weight of trucks over soft soil.

GeoTerra® Construction Mats - Presto Geosystems

Grid materials like this are very attractive to us, as we are taxed on the square footage of our paved driveway. We have a local company that makes them for permanent installation. DW is hot to get some of this in our yard to replace my plywood sheets.

http://www.permaturf.com
Old 04-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Grid materials like this are very attractive to us, as we are taxed on the square footage of our paved driveway. We have a local company that makes them for permanent installation. DW is hot to get some of this in our yard to replace my plywood sheets.

PermaTurf - "The Possibilities are Endless"
"Taxed on the square footage of our paved driveway"?????? What????? What in the world does that mean, if I may ask? Just satisfying my curiosity.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
"Taxed on the square footage of our paved driveway"?????? What????? What in the world does that mean, if I may ask? Just satisfying my curiosity.
Scott

The town factors the square footage of the paved area into our assessed value, so my property tax bill will increase if I extend the driveway by paving. Installing a concrete parking pad has a similar effect. These plastic grid materials are considered landscaping, so they don't require a building permit and have no direct tax impact. We'll be doing some "landscaping" to accommodate our new-to-us motorhome. We have no sales tax and no income tax on wages, so property tax is the main source of government revenue. They don't overlook any opportunities to increase the assessed value.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
.........Do you think by spreading the wight over these it would stop the sinking or do you have a better idea.
That would certainly work. It's the pounds per sq ft (psf) that makes the difference. This is why tracked construction equipment, and even battle tanks, don't often sink into the ground more than a few inches.

Each of your tires has about an 8" x 10" footprint. If you put a 12" x 24" cut of plywood under that, you've increased the footprint from about 80 sq in to 288 sq in-- about 3-1/2 times as large- and thus reduced the psf accordingly.

Plywood under the wheels, you'll be fine.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where I worked before retiring we used Grasspave at well site's that were in neighborhood's that had landscaped. We would drive heavy well equipment on them and never had a problem. The ground was so wet around them that if you accidentally drove off them the equipment would have to be towed out. The city probably won't tax them since their not pavement or concrete.

Grasspave2 grass pavers
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
buried cinderblocks with the holes running vertical and filled in. Could make a "pad" for each tire and set smaller boards on to distribute the weight across several if necessary.
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #12

The plywood seeems to be cheapest and easiest. I will try that. Thanks for all the advice
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
The town factors the square footage of the paved area into our assessed value, so my property tax bill will increase if I extend the driveway by paving. Installing a concrete parking pad has a similar effect. These plastic grid materials are considered landscaping, so they don't require a building permit and have no direct tax impact. We'll be doing some "landscaping" to accommodate our new-to-us motorhome. We have no sales tax and no income tax on wages, so property tax is the main source of government revenue. They don't overlook any opportunities to increase the assessed value.

Well Sir,
I surely thank you for answering me on this. Learn something every day. Now, if I could just remember anything I've learned. Anyway, how about "pavers" (as in concrete block pavers"???Would those be considered "Landscaping" too, since they're not permanent, sort of and, do not require a permit. A bit of ground prep and, if you use the pavers, you'll have much more permanent surface, IF it's not in the TAXABLE brackets.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I lived in MA. my moho parking spot was very soft ground. After one winter, we had to bring in a tree co. to trim and thin many standing pines that surrounded the property. After the tree limbs went through the shredder, I had the truck driver dump the wood mulch right where I parked the moho. Ended up with a 8"- 10" bed of wood chips after raked out. Rolled over that with my car an packed everything down tight. Added 4 pcs. of 2"x10" PT boards where the tires rested. Never had a "I'm stuck" issue again. Cheap and effective!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a