Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Please be easy on me.

Ok this is day one of me and my wifes official start to our planning for the future retirement, we have narrowed our thoughts for our future Coach to the three listed below.

Our future may not be full retirement sense we want to stay busy and be able to operate our business from our Motorhome. We have plans for the future to become independent insurance adjusters that will travel to areas after being hit by tornados or hurricanes and work with insurance companies to process claims on damaged vehicles.
It will also allow us to help people when in need at the same time.
It will be just me and my wife and when it comes to our needs of our RV home its all about dependability, drivability comfort, ease of driving and simply open floor plan with NO step up's.

So our top pics as of today also not knowing what the future may bring for the two companies that did sell to corporate companies we would love to hear everyones thoughts on our picks so far, and maybe ideas on other brands that we might want to consider.

Very nice to be apart of the group and hope to learn as much as we can before we buy in the next 3 to max of 5 years from now. In the mean time its all about planning and preparing for a future of open road life.

Our picks as of today and not in particular order either.

1. Tiffin Phaeton 44 length.
2. Entegra Anthem 44 length
3. Newmar Ventana or Dutch Star with new 4354 model that has no step in rear except by small corner by bed. maybe in future they make a model with NO Stepup inside coach.

Slam away, to those who would love to pass us your knowledge of all bad most of all as the best features are great but its the bad that we learn the most from.

Cheers to all.
Thanks in advance.
Biglahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
So what RV do you have now?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #4

Don't currently have one now, right now its all about getting things ready to buy. Currently running our business here in northern Idaho and putting enough money away right now so that in 3 to 5 years from now we can put cash down on the one we want after we take these next 3 years to study up on what will be the last first purchase we buy.

We also have our dealers license where we can buy used at auction if we get lucky enough to find one that way.
We simply believe its important to take the next couple years and study up.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you talked to your accountant about business write-offs for the coach?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
All 3 of your picks are top quality coaches from popular manufacturers. All 3 will have similar chassis and options.I woud lean Spartan or Freighliner in that order myself for accessibilty of parts and maintenance, but I think you will get a range of differing opinions on why each one would be better than the other by people who own that particular coach. I would suggest spending as much time as possible in each one, to get a feel for the livability and functionality of the floorplan as that will most likely be the biggest factor in your decision. Everyone has they're own needs and taste. Find the floorplan you like and get that one!. Happy Travels!
Old 01-25-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

I agree with the fact all three models listed are a great choice.
Since you have plenty of time to do your research, start your own comparisons. One of the best ways is to go to each factory and learn about how the coaches are built, what construction methods are used and option choices.
You then need to zero in on a model. Lots to research but it is really fun to start this education process.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
For your mission profile, why a class A? You will be going into blighted areas with much debris after storms. A Super C can be had with much luxury and better ground clearance than most class a units. Just a thought.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you talked to your accountant about business write-offs for the coach?
yea, for one he told me many laws could possibly change between now and then but he has already advised me about how much or what is a write off verses depreciation etc.
I was told it will help offset many cost living on the road. Smart to use the coach as an office to do the work but not as much cash benefit as I thought it would bring, but it will help just that bit to make it more affordable to live on the road.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I agree with the fact all three models listed are a great choice.
Since you have plenty of time to do your research, start your own comparisons. One of the best ways is to go to each factory and learn about how the coaches are built, what construction methods are used and option choices.
You then need to zero in on a model. Lots to research but it is really fun to start this education process.
I couldnt agree more, very curious over the next year what will happen to Tiffin, Newmar over the next year. We are already talking about visiting the plants after Covid chills out.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
For your mission profile, why a class A? You will be going into blighted areas with much debris after storms. A Super C can be had with much luxury and better ground clearance than most class a units. Just a thought.
Great question, for us its always been about Class A as I've got tons of experience with heavy equipment in my lifetime. All the way up to semi's with my dad.

We plan on pulling a small SUV behind Coach to go out to do the work needed in any area the insurance companies we contract with guides us to go.

I have always been about open floor plans, I want to pass by wife in any given area of Coach without rubbing to much shoulder. We are 100% Class A.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
All 3 of your picks are top quality coaches from popular manufacturers. All 3 will have similar chassis and options.I woud lean Spartan or Freighliner in that order myself for accessibilty of parts and maintenance, but I think you will get a range of differing opinions on why each one would be better than the other by people who own that particular coach. I would suggest spending as much time as possible in each one, to get a feel for the livability and functionality of the floorplan as that will most likely be the biggest factor in your decision. Everyone has they're own needs and taste. Find the floorplan you like and get that one!. Happy Travels!
After 30 plus years doing my line of work and still at it (Auto Body and painting) career has helped me gain serious knowledge on the good bad and ugly when it comes to how vehicles are build and what's great to work on and what simply sucks.
What is on the plan will be a couple years owning the Coach while I still have the business to tweak the coach and to make it fit nice, but most important to put my final touches on items that I know will need attention before they go bad. Having our facility now allowing the coach to be put inside to be worked on is key.

The Entegra Anthem 44F is very very impressive build, love the reinforced crisscross construction of lower chassis below the body all on the Spartan as I know how bad a 44 ft Coach will twist back and forth fatiguing the construction, and I will not own a coach that makes so many noises traveling. I want my wife to be able to handle driving as well and a coach that makes that possible when she wants.
Fall back on that coach is I would like to have the rear steering feature but won't know till I drive to see how well it turns etc.
Visiting the manufacturing plants will be apart of the near future plans.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglahou View Post
After 30 plus years doing my line of work and still at it (Auto Body and painting) career has helped me gain serious knowledge on the good bad and ugly when it comes to how vehicles are build and what's great to work on and what simply sucks.
What is on the plan will be a couple years owning the Coach while I still have the business to tweak the coach and to make it fit nice, but most important to put my final touches on items that I know will need attention before they go bad. Having our facility now allowing the coach to be put inside to be worked on is key.

The Entegra Anthem 44F is very very impressive build, love the reinforced crisscross construction of lower chassis below the body all on the Spartan as I know how bad a 44 ft Coach will twist back and forth fatiguing the construction, and I will not own a coach that makes so many noises traveling. I want my wife to be able to handle driving as well and a coach that makes that possible when she wants.
Fall back on that coach is I would like to have the rear steering feature but won't know till I drive to see how well it turns etc.
Visiting the manufacturing plants will be apart of the near future plans.
It sounds like you have a nice set up to work on and store the coach once you buy it, that is a big plus, and the fact you know your way around commercial vehicles chassis gives you a nice head start. I have owned several RV,s , including class a gas and diesel, motorhomes, nothing in the price point your looking at, however in my experience all RV manufacturers have quality issues from time to time no matter what price point, Even if the structure is good,, the way these things are constructed and sealed around roof crowns, caps, slideouts and many other access holes, can be sources of problems if not maintained, and of course they are packed full of fancy electronics, but if you can fix things yourself it will save you a great deal of downtime, and Visiting the factory will be a huge bonus when it comes to knowing your coach. ...good luck with your purchase!
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote