Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

Runt1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParryTack View Post
I've a Monaco Dynasty. When I'm fully hooked up to w/e/s, and I leave
The grey water valve open, all is well when I take howler or do laundry.
When I close the grey valve - like it would be if I was on the road, the shower fills with water - During any Grey water use.
I checked under the sink and cleaned the air vent there, took it off the pipe, totally uninstructed - run shower and shower pan fills up. Water will not go into the empty grey tank.
The monaco guy says it might be an air escape pipe clogged on the roof, I've yet to check - but I've never
Seen swarms of wasps anywhere ( he said look for wasp nest)
The RV Guy nearby said it is pro ably a pinched air hose/pipe somewhere.
No telling how much to fix. He said he might have to take a slide out of the bus to fix it. And hours of looking for problem.
Might anyone here know where to tell me
To look. New widow, could sure use some advice/help.
Every time I take it to rv shop - no kissing before it after the total screwing I get. Sorry to be so crude but I've been seriously ripped off.
Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.
Anita. 407-230-7370
Oh, extended Warantee expires tomorrow.
Well im new here but do do alot of work on Rv so here it goes in the belly side of the rv with no shower drain their is a electrical pump with a strainer on or in it ran into this on alot of slide outs.A friend comeneted on his one day not draining but only on shower so after chaseing the plumbing down it is located on his which depends on yours in the bottom left side in a cargo area on passenger side his was the third door down on the outside so maybe good luck.Took his filter/canister out and cleaned out what a mess hair and all and his was no more problems

Runt1964 ps im just a nut haha
runt1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
All the other p-traps and drains in the coach are higher than the shower drain. If the water backs up because the pressure builds up in the gray tank (due to clogged vent), it's going to come out at the lowest point. The pressure required to push up the water in the shower p-trap is less than that required to push it out of a higher p-trap.

Here's a quick experiment. Push a small section of hose through a sink p-trap, then blow the water out of it (effectively removing the water block in the trap). Then try to drain from a different sink. Is there air coming out of the hose? Does the water drain into the tank now? If so, the vent is plugged.
This
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Do you have two grey tanks? One is empty the other full.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks so much for all your comments. Let me first apologize for not editing before posting. I phones add words that were not intended. Sorry.
But you get the gist.
I've owned since new, 2008.
Only happens when valve to dump station is closed.
All gauges say gray tank is empty.
I leave gray tank valve open while parked and hooked up.
I've not seen wasps here but that's what Monaco said to check.
Will I really have trouble getting the cap off? Shall I buy one to replace before I attempt to remove it? If something went down into vent - how would I get it out? What tool would I use?
Thanks again!
Ps I've been on the roof once, scary, but I'm willing.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks so much for all your comments. Let me first apologize for not editing before posting. I phones add words that were not intended. Sorry.
But you get the gist.
I've owned since new, 2008.
Only happens when valve to dump station is closed.
All gauges say gray tank is empty.
I leave gray tank valve open while parked and hooked up.
I've not seen wasps here but that's what Monaco said to check.
Will I really have trouble getting the cap off? Shall I buy one to replace before I attempt to remove it? If something went down into vent - how would I get it out? What tool would I use?
Thanks again!
Ps I've been on the roof once, scary, but I'm willing.
Do the experiment I described above first.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'll try the experiment, but what is a p tank?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
P-Trap. It's the dip in the drain pipe under the drain. Look under your sink. It looks like a P lying on it's side. The loop at the bottom has water in it, to keep sewer gas from coming up out of the sink. You need to either bypass the water with a hose, or drain the water out somehow, to make the sink act like a vent.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Exactly!!!

That is exactly what is happening!
What is a p trap? Can I fix this problem myself?
Could it be an air line that is twisted or pinched?
Thank you...
Anita

QUOTE=Koop;1477927]After reading the OP carefully I see a couple of clues.

With the gray water valve open and hooked to campground sewer all is well. This rules out a plugged drain or full tank.

With the valve closed, gray water won't enter the tank - it goes to the shower tub. This clearly points to a vent problem. When hooked up to an exterior (vented) system with the valve open, gray water flows freely. With the valve closed, the tank is not venting and water finds a different path.

That's my take for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Only one tank. It's empty.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Only one tank. It's empty.
You say it's been this way since you owned it, since 2008? Or is it a recent occurance?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Post #7 by Koop is correct. Most likely problem is the roof vent is plugged. Try this, plug the shower drain so the water cannot fill it. Maybe have someone help hold a wet rag warped plastic warp stuffed into the drain. Run water in one of the sinks. Check the other sink to see if you hear gurgling or air coming from the drain. If you do the roof vent is plugged. Beside a wasp next, could be a bird nest.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Has not been that way since 2008. Started happenening just this year.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks chuck ,
That's just what Monaco says. I'll go up and check it today.
Shall I buy another cap for the roof vent before I attempt to take off the existing one? Will I most likely break it trying to remove it? Is there any way we can speak on the phone?
Thanks chuck
Anita
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParryTack
Thanks chuck ,
That's just what Monaco says. I'll go up and check it today.
Shall I buy another cap for the roof vent before I attempt to take off the existing one? Will I most likely break it trying to remove it? Is there any way we can speak on the phone?
Thanks chuck
Anita
Anita,

Before you climb to the roof try one more thing. With the gray valve closed, run the water in the shower until the shower pan is pretty full. Then go out & open the valve. If the water immediately starts to drain into the gray tank then the only answer is the drain is acting as the vent and the roof vent must be plugged. When you go on the roof it will be easier if you have some one on the ground to help. It may not be obvious what the problem is. The vent cap, if it hasn't been changed to an after market one, will snap off and should not be a problem. If you can get someone to help you get a hose to the roof and a rag to act as a gasket then run water down the vent. That act along will probably clear the vent. If not a little water pressure should do it.

Be careful and look before you step.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water