Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #85

Sounds like it was done to gret tank also.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #86
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParryTack View Post
Where can I get a clear fitting for the dump hose?
As suggested, any rv store but I would suggest getting one with the water hose attachment. You can then rinse your hose with fresh water and not have to rely on gray water.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #87

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I am aware of the dangers of leaving the black tank open all the time. What I was driving at is whether those same dangers exist with the grey tank. When you think about it, there are a lot of solids and semi solids that go in the grey water as well. In some ways it might be worse because many things that are liquid in the dish sink are solid when they cool down in the grey tank (cooking grease for example). I can see how a residue of sludge might build up over a longer period of time, as they might in the black tank, if the drain valve is constantly left open and the material being washed down isn't suspended in liquid. Just wondering if the same processes may be at play.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Woosh!

What I do is NEVER leave either of the valves open. The only time the grey valve needs to be open is when we're doing laundry.

Usually I drain the grey once a day or whenever the level get's to 3/4 full. The black tank only gets drained when it's full. If it's not full and we're fixin' to leave I run the sprayer until it is full. If I don't hear the woosh at the end of the drain I know I've got a problem.

We had the dreaded 'Pyramid of Poo' once. That's all it takes to convince one of the wisdom of following 'The Way'. i.e. Septic safe TP, lots of water, etc.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never leave the gray tanks valves open but I know folks who do.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #90

Bear with me on this. I'm thinking there was a mass build-up, the same dimensions of the tank, with maybe a pyramid at the shower drain. When water was put in the grey tank with the dump valve closed, it floated to the top and sealed off the shower. The other drains were T'd into the shower drain. Far fetched maybe, but it's the only thing I could of.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dunner, I like that theory. A floating pyramid, that great!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well, unfortunately, this mornings shower led to water backing up on shower pan. *sigh
Not a lot. Not right away. And it drained out within 2 minutes.
And yesterday I ran the washing machine, and the water a led up into the shower.
These things bob happened with grey valve closed and tank level reading empty.
Sheeseeeesh!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #93

Try the Drano again, but maybe a little longer or a little more.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #94

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once again "TRY A PLUNGER"
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Missing sock?

Kinda makes me wonder if a sock went through the washer and got stuck where the sewer lines T together. Drain-o would not dissolve a sock unless it was 100% cotton.

I think at this point I would run a real plumbers snake down every drain in the coach. Unfortunately the best way to do that is by removing the P trap. An alternative might be a blast of compressed air, like from one of those extra big accordion folded plungers.

Ain't RV'ing a JOY sometimes?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well I'm off to tr hardware store for a plunger and more drano.
We'll see! If I use the plunger at the shower drain, might I be able to blow air up thru the vent while pushing on the plunger?
Hmmmmm?
Anita
Old 03-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I tried the plunger today.
Had the grey valve closed.
Ran the Washing machine, water kept filling the shower pan, never overflowing, draining slowly till empty.
Did three loads of wash, grey tank 2/3 full.
All during this time I used the plunger at the shower drain.
I suppose it helped it drain, I didn't really notice a big difference.
I also bought his snaky thing with barbs on it to clean the drains.
I'll tackle that tonight.
And that's the latest. Friday 3/8/13 5:22
Anita
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #98

Hey Anita,
My wife thinks I'm nuts being infront on this computer and then getting out of bed at 6:30am this morning to post. But I do my best thinking just before I fall asleep and when I wake up. I love trying to figure out problems. Well, I think I may have the answer.

1) the plug (clog) is just before the gray tank and after all the drains juncture into the final drain pipe. Maybe there is a final p-trap between the juncture and the gray tank. This would explain why the water drains back up into the shower. The shower is the lowest escape for the backed up water. Already established in early posts.

2) You likely have a 80-90% occluded pipe that will not allow venting when the gray drain is closed and water is running down the drains. The rushing water justs back up from the clog. When you open the gray valve the venting is now coming from the grey valve discharge. Already established in early posts.

3)The success you had with the draino dissolved enough plug to think your out of trouble, but I think you only dissolved some of the crap and now more dislodged and your back up again.

4) I think that a solution would be to fill the gray tank all the way up until the shower has standing water.

5) pull the sewer hose, so you can see how much water is released, and very slowly release about one gallon of water after the shower is empty. I think this will make enough room for the draino to sit on the plug site longer.

6) make sure you have enough draino and hot water to fill the void between the plug and the shower drain. Very slowly pour so that the solution can go down the drain as your pouring it in. If it doesn't go down drain the gray tank very slowly.
7) leave the coctail in the pipe for an hour or so.

8) make sure the slinky drain hose is back in the sewer and pull the valve, drain all the way.

9) repeat if it returns. I think you got a real serious hair ball and sludge causing some real artery clogger.

Good luck. Jeff
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water