Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Not sure why Camping World is brought into this equation. They are simple a transaction agent working for both parties. You are doing your due diligence which is great. As long as Camping World isn't fixing or making repair represations contingent on this deal who cares that they are brokering this deal?
Yes, the interweb CW hate is a solely distraction to the entire thread!!

Our rig came to us 3 years used w/10k miles from a large, multi-location dealer in FL. Our first, & knowing nothing, we took a veteran couple w/us for support. Dealer claimed to have serviced everything (doubtful) & sent us on our way w/their "15 day powertrain warranty."

We hadn't even reached home when the engine threw a CEL. The selling dealer wished us well, because after all, we hadn't purchased an extended warranty. I would expect nothing more from CW.

Cummins repaired the issue, under warranty, for a small co-pay. They made a similar repair before the 5 year (from date of in-service) warranty expired. There was never any question about the previous, undocumented maintenance. Perhaps they have a different policy for the Exploding ISX?

In the first 18 months, we established an entirely new maintenance baseline & My Bride keeps a painfully complete record of all, in a ring binder. In an interesting little stroke of luck, we stumbled onto the original owner's service records, while @ Gaffney, last month.

Haven't met anyone who doesn't have horror stories about repairs, new & used, but we've now run over 30k miles in 4 years & a seized A/C compressor has been the only unscheduled repair....knocking on wood.

You can't plan for every conceivable circumstance, so you do your best, pre-purchase, then pay your money & take your chances.

Good luck!
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #58

Oops did not mean to imply anything but if I did sorry about that.

All the best and since you are an experienced RVer already, you are well aware of all the things mentioned technically about RVs and what not anyways. As to this hobby RVing, its all for the fun and generally fun for all.

As to the rig under consideration do be careful with frame level issues given that both slides are off kilter, are the jacks ok or did it fall of some? Being a rock crawling vehicle owners I am sure you are well aware of frames and their importance as well as the importance of the superstructure.

Ah perhaps the terms survivor and surfer... I meant... that was mentioned to convey: non "standardized" rigs that do not conform to resort expectations are turned away as are trailer, class C and Class B rigs from many of these places.

As an experienced RVer with exposure to rock crawling I think you have all the boxes checked on the experiental knowledge and applied technical knowledge base required to make an intelligent informed decision. Your confidence level is evident.

Bon Voyage.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Oops did not mean to imply anything but if I did sorry about that.

All the best and since you are an experienced RVer already, you are well aware of all the things mentioned technically about RVs and what not anyways. As to this hobby RVing, its all for the fun and generally fun for all.

As to the rig under consideration do be careful with frame level issues given that both slides are off kilter, are the jacks ok or did it fall of some? Being a rock crawling vehicle owners I am sure you are well aware of frames and their importance as well as the importance of the superstructure.

Ah perhaps the terms survivor and surfer... I meant... that was mentioned to convey: non "standardized" rigs that do not conform to resort expectations are turned away as are trailer, class C and Class B rigs from many of these places.

As an experienced RVer with exposure to rock crawling I think you have all the boxes checked on the experiental knowledge and applied technical knowledge base required to make an intelligent informed decision. Your confidence level is evident.

Bon Voyage.
Thank you for proving my point. May God grant you everything that you ask for.
Enjoy your life.
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Steve View Post
Yes, the interweb CW hate is a solely distraction to the entire thread!!

Our rig came to us 3 years used w/10k miles from a large, multi-location dealer in FL. Our first, & knowing nothing, we took a veteran couple w/us for support. Dealer claimed to have serviced everything (doubtful) & sent us on our way w/their "15 day powertrain warranty."

We hadn't even reached home when the engine threw a CEL. The selling dealer wished us well, because after all, we hadn't purchased an extended warranty. I would expect nothing more from CW.

Cummins repaired the issue, under warranty, for a small co-pay. They made a similar repair before the 5 year (from date of in-service) warranty expired. There was never any question about the previous, undocumented maintenance. Perhaps they have a different policy for the Exploding ISX?

In the first 18 months, we established an entirely new maintenance baseline & My Bride keeps a painfully complete record of all, in a ring binder. In an interesting little stroke of luck, we stumbled onto the original owner's service records, while @ Gaffney, last month.

Haven't met anyone who doesn't have horror stories about repairs, new & used, but we've now run over 30k miles in 4 years & a seized A/C compressor has been the only unscheduled repair....knocking on wood.

You can't plan for every conceivable circumstance, so you do your best, pre-purchase, then pay your money & take your chances.

Good luck!
My only intent was to obtain information to help in making an informed decision by those with a lot more experience and knowledge in these areas then I have.
I've read enough here and other forums to be aware of some of the horror stories. Don't want to by a money pit. All to easy if not careful. I know that these things can cost a small fortune to repair if not kept up. Which like you I've been looking at repair places and getting cost estimates. In order to establish a baseline going forward. RV inspector just forwarded me the coolant analysis. Needs to be changed.
Thank you for reply
Old 01-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #61

Do not work with Camping World, honesty is not part of their policy.
Revnickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revnickn View Post
Do not work with Camping World, honesty is not part of their policy.
Understood. What dealers are honest? Some private sellers are willing to say whatever they think will help them sell the rv.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #63

Here's something not mentioned in the thread. As a consignment, what does the title and registration process look like if the original owner is underwater?

We bought our first RV that way, and it took way longer than I was comfortable with. This was a TT that I paid cash for and in our state the DMV delivers title and plates within 2-weeks for a clean transaction. Ours took at least 6-weeks, so it was long enough to have me nervous.

In our case the RV dealer was in start-up mode, so I don't know if the delays were in him kiting the cash or in the original owner being slow to pay out the last of his loan.

Good luck, I sincerely hope this works out well for you (both now and long-term)

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
Here's something not mentioned in the thread. As a consignment, what does the title and registration process look like if the original owner is underwater?

We bought our first RV that way, and it took way longer than I was comfortable with. This was a TT that I paid cash for and in our state the DMV delivers title and plates within 2-weeks for a clean transaction. Ours took at least 6-weeks, so it was long enough to have me nervous.

In our case the RV dealer was in start-up mode, so I don't know if the delays were in him kiting the cash or in the original owner being slow to pay out the last of his loan.

Good luck, I sincerely hope this works out well for you (both now and long-term)

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you Chris. Actually that is a very good point. I sold my old gasser after the down turn of the economy in 2008. I was upside down by over 20K. Even before having listed I contacted the bank and asked about selling if not getting pay off amount and I didn't have means to pay. I had to make an unsecure loan to pay off balance for them to sign and release the title.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
Understood. What dealers are honest? Some private sellers are willing to say whatever they think will help them sell the rv.
La Mesa in Tucson. Ok maybe not entirely honest - just about impossible to tell. But from my experience, they are truly out to build a reputation of great customer service and satisfied buyers. So, it happens.

I think this discussion was about over at post #10. If it was me and I liked it and it was in my price range, I’d buy it, regardless of a few warts and the market and covid and CW and all the horror stories. It’s a higher end coach, only two years old, with low miles. I’d make a cash offer and drive it away.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
La Mesa in Tucson. Ok maybe not entirely honest - just about impossible to tell. But from my experience, they are truly out to build a reputation of great customer service and satisfied buyers. So, it happens.

I think this discussion was about over at post #10. If it was me and I liked it and it was in my price range, I’d buy it, regardless of a few warts and the market and covid and CW and all the horror stories. It’s a higher end coach, only two years old, with low miles. I’d make a cash offer and drive it away.
They need to repair a few things then we'll take delivery. I don't expect used anything to be the same as when new. I think that is unrealistic. I learned more then I expected from this thread and that is good. Still have a lot more to learn.
Thank you.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #67

Sadly the saga continues. Just found out that the front passenger side slide is supposedly a manual lock that needs to be engaged. I have troubles believing that they are not automatic locks. The rear drivers side that is askew is supposedly out of square from the factory. Its easy to check square. Would Entegra really allow an out of square slide to be delivered?
Again waiting to see what CW says about this and how to resolve. They want to just disclose it and say its all good.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
[Mod Edit]
2019 Entegra Aspire 40P. 2 years old, factory warranty expires 1/27/2021.
I called Entegra and they told me this coach has never been serviced that they see. RV inspector sent oil for analysis. Looks dark enough I'm confident that the chassis was also never serviced.

Would that stop you from buying? Maybe have seller pay for extended service plan from Coach net or Good Sam. It is a consignment unit at Camping World.

Inspection also shows one slide a skew and needs adjustment. The other does not close at one top corner. Inspector thinks adjustment should fix.
Road test seemed to rattle a lot more then older DP's I test drove. Maybe from never being tightened during sale. Does that make sense?
I also wonder how much more noise is being caused by not properly adjusted slide outs.

In my mind, the big negative is never serviced. Would an extended service plan give you the assurance to buy this unit? We like Entegra.

Thank you for you help and input.

Since you are asking for an opinion and we know everyone has one.
So Many other MH available in your price range.
In addition to these MH issues double that with service issues @ CW
Stay away from CW, they are the horrible.
Plenty of CW haters for GOOD reason.
Once again you asked for opinions, so good luck.
However if you feel you will be the lucky one then have at it.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #69

Cummins allows 15,000 miles between oil changes. True, they also say "OR" one year - but I wouldn't let that part worry me.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
Cummins allows 15,000 miles between oil changes. True, they also say "OR" one year - but I wouldn't let that part worry me.
CW seems they do not want to touch the slides. Looks like we’ll walk away from this one. Too many red flags at this point. Looking at new Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. If we get this one, we’ll have issues that having new coaches have. Whatever not done right during build. Best part is we’re homeless Monday afternoon.