Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Pls help me decide to buy this or not

[Mod Edit]
2019 Entegra Aspire 40P. 2 years old, factory warranty expires 1/27/2021.
I called Entegra and they told me this coach has never been serviced that they see. RV inspector sent oil for analysis. Looks dark enough I'm confident that the chassis was also never serviced.

Would that stop you from buying? Maybe have seller pay for extended service plan from Coach net or Good Sam. It is a consignment unit at Camping World.

Inspection also shows one slide a skew and needs adjustment. The other does not close at one top corner. Inspector thinks adjustment should fix.
Road test seemed to rattle a lot more then older DP's I test drove. Maybe from never being tightened during sale. Does that make sense?
I also wonder how much more noise is being caused by not properly adjusted slide outs.

In my mind, the big negative is never serviced. Would an extended service plan give you the assurance to buy this unit? We like Entegra.

Thank you for you help and input.
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
Cross posted on Cummins forum. I hope that is not an issue.

I called Entegra and they told me this coach has never been serviced that they see. RV inspector sent oil for analysis. Looks dark enough I'm confident that the chassis was also never serviced.

Would that stop you from buying? Maybe have seller pay for extended service plan from Coach net or Good Sam. It is a consignment unit at Camping World.

Inspection also shows one slide a skew and needs adjustment. The other does not close at one top corner. Inspector thinks adjustment should fix.
Road test seemed to rattle a lot more then older DP's I test drove. Maybe from never being tightened during sale. Does that make sense?
I also wonder how much more noise is being caused by not properly adjusted slide outs.

In my mind, the big negative is never serviced. Would an extended service plan give you the assurance to buy this unit? We like Entegra.

How many miles on it? That and your oil analysis should be the main deciding factor. Slides shouldn’t contribute to rattling but so much else does, you’ll be chasing down noises and fixing rattles as long as you own it. Pretty much goes for any production coach.

This is why I like low mileage coaches - if it has under 20k in it, the previous owner didn’t have enough road time to do any damage with poor maintenance habits. Also CW could contact the previous owner for you but I sure they won’t. That said, a little investigative effort on your part will turn up a name and you could contact him directly. Maybe he did his own oil changes, and “dark“ means nothing when looking at oil in diesel.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:44 AM   #3

A few flags. Have fluid tests done.

Mileage?

How does it look? Really nice like new or scruffy. Overall appearance is big in a case like this.

If scruffy then likely there has been little maintenance.

Your inspector should be able to tell you this. He should also give you an idea of the Sourse of rattles etc.

I would seriously consider it with the extended warranty.

Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Visually it's hard to tell anything about diesel engine oil as it turns black almost immediately when you run the engine. I would wait on the oil analysis to evaluate the engine.

Is it possible the previous owner took it to an independent to service and/or did it themselves?

If the inspection and oil analysis comes back good you might be able to negotiate a better price based on no records and then invest in a warranty.

When I bought my rig it came with no records but from appearance looked good so I took a chance. First thing I did was take to a Cummins shop for a complete service and inspection. Since then I've done all my own services, that was +11 years ago.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:34 AM   #5

Need more info. The engine and trans warranty is probably good for 5 years, but you need to be able to prove it has received the proper service. 2 years is on the coach I believe. What is the price compared to the NADA value? How much are you saving by buying a coach with significant unknowns? Especially throwing CW into the mix I think I'd walk away.

Quote:
[Mod Edit]

jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #6

I believe the Cummins probably has a 5 year warranty. Question, does the lack of maintenance mean the 3 years remaining from Cummins will be refused? The two years without service wouldn't scare me but I wouldn't want to give up the rest of the warranty because of it.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
How many miles on it? That and your oil analysis should be the main deciding factor. Slides shouldn’t contribute to rattling but so much else does, you’ll be chasing down noises and fixing rattles as long as you own it. Pretty much goes for any production coach.

This is why I like low mileage coaches - if it has under 20k in it, the previous owner didn’t have enough road time to do any damage with poor maintenance habits. Also CW could contact the previous owner for you but I sure they won’t. That said, a little investigative effort on your part will turn up a name and you could contact him directly. Maybe he did his own oil changes, and “dark“ means nothing when looking at oil in diesel.
Mileage is under 13K. my thoughts are as long as oil doesn't show to bad, probably get it.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Visually it's hard to tell anything about diesel engine oil as it turns black almost immediately when you run the engine. I would wait on the oil analysis to evaluate the engine.

Is it possible the previous owner took it to an independent to service and/or did it themselves?

If the inspection and oil analysis comes back good you might be able to negotiate a better price based on no records and then invest in a warranty.

When I bought my rig it came with no records but from appearance looked good so I took a chance. First thing I did was take to a Cummins shop for a complete service and inspection. Since then I've done all my own services, that was +11 years ago.
I know car motor oil turns fairly quickly, I was not sure about diesel motor oil. Inspection mainly showed the two slides need adjusting and the cover to the dishwasher needs to be fixed. Other then that it looks good. Waiting for oil to come back.
Thank you
Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Need more info. The engine and trans warranty is probably good for 5 years, but you need to be able to prove it has received the proper service. 2 years is on the coach I believe. What is the price compared to the NADA value? How much are you saving by buying a coach with significant unknowns? Especially throwing CW into the mix I think I'd walk away.
Under 13K miles. I'm planning on calling Spartan later to ask about remainder of warranty. Listed at 280K getting for like 240K. In good shape and inspection did not show anything other then the slides.
My other post about this has "scary part is it is CW.
thank you
Old 01-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I believe the Cummins probably has a 5 year warranty. Question, does the lack of maintenance mean the 3 years remaining from Cummins will be refused? The two years without service wouldn't scare me but I wouldn't want to give up the rest of the warranty because of it.
I am planning on calling Spartan later today. That is a question I have. As well as, how do we resolve this going forward? No warranty means I'll probably run not walk.
thank you
Old 01-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #11

What do you like about this coach? Do you like the floorpan? Do you think it will fit your RVing style? All you can do is the best due diligence you can (inspection, research service history, etc) and then you'll be able to make the most informed decision you can. Ultimately I think we all make a gut call somewhere along the line. If we were totally analytical, none of us would own RVs in the first place.

By the way, since you're dealing with CW make sure you check all the other little things on the coach. Check the date codes on the tires. Not that I'd accuse them of swapping 2 year old tires out, but it would not hurt. ( https://rvtires.com/read-tire-manufa...v=7516fd43adaa ).

Good luck, hope you find your coach.

Quote:
Under 13K miles. I'm planning on calling Spartan later to ask about remainder of warranty. Listed at 280K getting for like 240K. In good shape and inspection did not show anything other then the slides.
My other post about this has "scary part is it is CW.
thank you
Old 01-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Mileage is under 13K. my thoughts are as long as oil doesn't show to bad, probably get it.
Other than the extra year, which means nothing with modern oils, it’s technically not even ready for an oil change. So I’d be fine with it. Maybe even better if it hasn’t been changed because then there’s no chance of substandard oil having been used. And that mileage means it didn’t just sit for the last two years either which is also beneficial. I bought my Ventana with 16k on it, no maintenance records, and it didn’t worry me a bit. Just had them service everything before I brought it home.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

Great point. Maybe tell CW you'll take it if they do a full service before delivery. Also keep in mind, getting service these days can be quite challenging. We bought a brand new TT in October. I've found a few small things I need fixed under warranty and could not get an appointment from the dealer we bought it from until the middle of March. They won't even take appointments right now from people who did not buy from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Other than the extra year, which means nothing with modern oils, it’s technically not even ready for an oil change. So I’d be fine with it. Maybe even better if it hasn’t been changed because then there’s no chance of substandard oil having been used. And that mileage means it didn’t just sit for the last two years either which is also beneficial. I bought my Ventana with 16k on it, no maintenance records, and it didn’t worry me a bit. Just had them service everything before I brought it home.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

With the low mileage and 2019 build date I would have no worries.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote