Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy2003 View Post
I'd like to prepare my refrigerator prior to my trip, but I don't have 30 amp outlet at home, so how do I solve this ? What type of converter do I get from 110 to 30 amps?, I don't want to fry my RV or home, thanks.
If you plan on doing this a lot, spend the money to have the proper receptacle and power installed. Less worry about using an underpowered outlet. Then you can run not only the fridge but everything else too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 06:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I can hookup my truck and tow my travel trailer about 3 hours, and by the time we arrive at our campsite, a drink I toss in the freezer is starting to freeze. Not sure it takes 24 hours.

My old popup trailer refrigerator would take at least 18 hours to cool down.

My popup came with the type like ThomB linked to. My travel trailer had an adapter like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14101...4483872&sr=8-6

In my mind, not having a foot long cord is an advantage and reduces any voltage drops, but what do the old hands think?
The $5.68 cordless adapter in your link is most likely going to be of a lesser build quality and more prone to failure (also easier to lose) than ThomB's corded adapter, which is going to cost in the $14 - $20 range. A corded adapter is also less likely to become accidentally disconnected.

The cords on most adapters made for RVs are of an adequate gauge wire so this isn't a concern at a length of a foot or so. Any such issue will be a function of the amps being drawn (max 15A - 20A depending on the service) and the length of the cord. I do notice that some adapters use 12/3 cords while others use 10/3 cords with a very little price difference. I'd opt for those with 10/3 cords, not so much because of the current flow, but because of the robustness of the cord which will be less prone to damage.

Wire gauge vs. length and current flow is, however, an issue with extension cords. There are many online calculators to help determine the necessary gauge extension cord based on amps and length.

Here's a link on various types of adapters:

https://rvnerds.com/2017/06/12/power-adapter-101/
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote