Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Plugged fuel line in gas tank?

The motorhome is a Southwind 1988 P 30 chassis w/454. It sat idle and un-run for approximately five years. I have installed a new Electric booster fuel pump but I am not able to draft out of the gas tank. The tank was drained of old fuel and approximately 30 gallons fresh Fuel was added. The rubber fuel line feels like it is collapsing on demand of the pump. I used air pressure on the line of approximately 30 PSI but it did not bleed back into the tank. Does anyone know if there is a backflow check valve located between the draft line and the booster pump ? In or out of the tank? I am open to any helpful information on how to get the fuel flowing. The rest of the fuel system seems to be OK I used the booster pump and sucked fuel out of a gas can in order to fill the tank. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration
Gump159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

If the pump suction is causing the fuel line to collapse,and 30 psig will not pass air, then whatever is causing the blockage will be accessible only by dropping the fuel tank. One can only speculate what is causing the blockage. You will notice the pick-up does not reach down to the bottom of the tank to ensure the generator does not deplete the entire gasoline supply. When you solve the supply problem,the ogre of gum in the carburettor, resulting from the 5 year hiatus, may have to be faced with $$. Good luck.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #3

I believe they have a fuel filter tucked inside the frame rail maybe stopped up.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #4

I agree with plugged fuel filter, 30 psi of air would move anything in tank out of the way, if you have crud in fuel tank you will need to carry extra fuel filters, replaceable core type would expedite changes.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

Not sure, is there a pump inside the tank? A pump not running will rarely let anything flow. If there is a chance, drop the tank, and before you replace the pump clean the tank. A clean tank will reduce problems after you get it running...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #6

Back in the 80's a fuzzy fuel filter was often found on the fuel pick-up hose.I would speculate this could become a gummy mass in a gasoline tank that had a 5 year holiday. Let us know what you find.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1988 most likely did not have fuel lines that were compatible with ethanol fuel. All the rubber components will likely need replacing. After sitting that long the entire fuel system will need going through.

I am guessing your theory of the fuel line collapsing is correct. Nothing short of replacing it will work for long.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

Fuel pump is in tank......pull it out and jumper it.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
Back in the 80's a fuzzy fuel filter was often found on the fuel pick-up hose.I would speculate this could become a gummy mass in a gasoline tank that had a 5 year holiday. Let us know what you find.
If the sock filter was the only issue, 30 PSI blowing thru the line into the tank would remove it. (Did this more than once on cars that had cam driven pump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
1988 most likely did not have fuel lines that were compatible with ethanol fuel. All the rubber components will likely need replacing. After sitting that long the entire fuel system will need going through.

I am guessing your theory of the fuel line collapsing is correct. Nothing short of replacing it will work for long.
Yes, it is likely all the rubber lines will need replaced (and inspect the steel, rust can weaken, leak) before you have a dependable vehicle. But if it will run when hooked to another supply, I would concentrate on tank area, make it pull fuel from tank. Once I got that working I would replace the rest. Don't open too many doors for Murphy at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
.pull it out Move away from tank and jumper it.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
agree with starting with the in the tank pump. If you jump the 12v to the pum[ will it run, you will hear it. If it is stuck or just not working I would agree that there is a check valve of sorts that might prevent back pressure to clear. What happens when you try to get fuel out to the generator will that line flow?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Are you sure?
The ones I've seen of this era, have an electric pump and filter on the outside of the tank which gets it to the GM mechanical pump on the 454 carburetor engine.
There's usually a split that goes to the genset, back by the tank.
Don't believe anything was said, about the genset, with running or not.
Either way the tank needs dropped or an access hole cut into the floor above, for not only replacing the hose, but for having a look inside the tank at the pickup tube, which could be completely rusted away by now.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #12

Using "rubber" fuel line with a pump capable of 30 PSI is asking for a DISASTER !
Old 03-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the pumps inside the tank are a turbine pump. These may not allow you to draw through them..

Do you have a generator? Does it have a separate feed that you could "T" off of to test your external pump..

NOTE - I believe the max pressure you want to go with on a carb engine is about 6psi.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

The generator runs independently and cuts off at a little less than a quarter of a tank. This line looks like it is going to complicate dropping the tank because it’s steel and goes through the frame rail The fuel return line is tucked inside the left frame rail and doesn’t feel like there’s enough slack in it to drop the tank. I am beginning to think they gave a fuel tank to Waldo and said “here, go build a motorhome around it.” Thank you everybody for your input
Gump159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, tank