RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plugged in 24/7

I am able to keep my class A parked at home. When Iím not using it It stays plugged into a 50amp shore outlet all the time. Is this OK? Will it hurt or shorten the battery life?
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
It is fine, your battery charging system will handle
everything, keeping your batteries fully charged all
the time, which extends their life. If you have flooded
cells, you should check the water level every month.
If you have AGMs, you need do nothing, assuming you
have the proper selection on your charger/inverter
for them.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
I am able to keep my class A parked at home. When Iím not using it It stays plugged into a 50amp shore outlet all the time. Is this OK? Will it hurt or shorten the battery life?
I only have mine plugged in for 24 hours each day. I don't believe keeping them charged at 100% will harm them.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #4

Plugged in 27/7

We keep our coach plugged in 24/7 and, no damage to anything. The Inverter/charger is a three stage unit so, it goes down to a float stage at about 1 amp so, all is cool.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, that is not a problem. Just be sure to check the battery fluid levels regularly.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you've got the Magnum Inverter...and setup properly. It will pass thru AC current to your inverter loads...thus not overworking the inverter. It will go thru charge stages such as Bulk, absorb, float...,and in most cases after a period of time in flood it will switch to "silent", which means the Charger actually cuts off to prevent excessive water loss. However, if it stays in float...and there are not shorts in the battery cells, and the water is kept topped up properly,,,It is extending the life of your batteries to be connected.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I only have mine plugged in for 24 hours each day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Plugged in 27/7
Wow, "27" hours in your days, that's cool, wish I could get those. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Scott
Oh wow you two.....you beat me to it. Darn it.

As others have said, watch your batt water about once a month or so, especially in the summer time. I don't know you, but JIC for you or others reading this post, sitting for long periods of time hooked up to shore power shouldn't be a problem—for the batts—but it could cause other issues in multiple other areas. So don't over look or take those items and areas for granted. When sitting for long periods of time, it can affect many areas and systems.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had some days that felt like they were 27 hours but that's another topic. I'm plugged in all the time at home and the only thing I do is check my battery water levels every three or four weeks. Mine will use water.
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 It will not LIKELY damage batteries

For more accurate information post make and Model of converter or Inverter/charger
Old 11-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Garage/store in my enclosed / insulated building with 50Amp shore power connected 24/7 and Battery Disconnect switch engaged in Off position. Residential fridge as well as Dometic basement freezer run continuously. I frequently check on the coach and find the inverter reliably maintaining a floating charge on both house and chassis AGM batteries.

Never had an issue vs. prior earlier method (of no shore power connection) wherein I experienced parasitic battery drain even with the battery disconnect switch engaged.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #11

For storage , the batteries should be fully charged , then disconnected .With no activity (charging or discharging) you will get the most life from your batteries . Just be sure the disconnect disconnects everything from the battery. A battery just sitting will not need to be checked for water.Cool temperatures slow down the chemical reactions , further extending their life. You can reconnect and plug in a day before you need it to ensure the batteries are fully charged.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I keep mine powered up 24/7 also. My converter is a 3 stage converter so the batteries always stay fully charged. I also have a residential fridge and keep it going 24/7. Heat is on also but I use a plug in thermostat that turns the heaters on when it gets to 39 degrees and then back off at around 50 degrees.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #13

Plugged in 24/7

When I am stationary I keep my batteries plugged as well and let the intelicharger do its job in conjunction with my solar panels however, once a month I will disconnect and run my generator under a load for just under two hours and then a cool down period and then after I shut my generator down I will turn on all three of my TVís and a couple of other loads on my inverter to exercise my batteries and then plug them back in.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote