Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Its fully auto. Rated at 1 am and is across all 4 six volts. about to be on the road soon anyway. Ill try switching the two trickles between the bats.

If all else fails Ill put a timer on it and cycle it half time or less.
A 1 amp trickle charger shouldn't be able to bring 4, 6 volt batteries to 14.6 volts.

Is the shore power cord plugged in ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A 1 amp trickle charger shouldn't be able to bring 4, 6 volt batteries to 14.6 volts.

Is the shore power cord plugged in ?
Yep, you would think not. No for sp. Only one plug

Click image for larger version

Name:	0315171853.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	154941
Shows 13.87 with no charger on. Ill set the timer to run about 1 hr out of the day and see what they flatten out to
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Wrong link, try this one

4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters

"no doubt about it, its time I get another hat"!
So has anyone used this unit, if so did it preform as advertised? I don't really see the need in equalization ever 21 hours but since it is only 14.4vdc for 15 min it shouldn't be a problem.

My WFCO 8955 is suppose to charge at 14.4vdc, 13.6vdc and 13.2vdc with no equalization. It never changes from 13.6vdc which is why I am considering the change.
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Or just put a tablespoon or two of mineral oil in each cell and not have to worry about them 'boiling off' at all.
Is that actually correct? Never heard of that until now but wondered if there was a downside!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1955 View Post
I have a 92 Southwind and was wondering if it was a good idea to keep it plugged into shore power at all times when at home? I was thinking as far as keeping the house battery charged and fridge running. Does it hurt anything to do that or is it too much wear and tear on the converter?

That brings me to my next question....it is normal for these converters to hum when plugged in? It hums at all times.

Thanks!
Not sure about your particular unit but... Inverters hum when in use. However, when on shore power, you do not need an inverter. Inverters convert DC to AC. Only need to run inverter while using the batteries.
Steve70605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep mine plugged into a 30 amp at all times when at home. Been doing that for about 30 years to many different rigs. In the last DSDP that we had for 13 years the OEM batteries lasted 10 years and had never been equalized.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Or just put a tablespoon or two of mineral oil in each cell and not have to worry about them 'boiling off' at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igave View Post
Is that actually correct? Never heard of that until now but wondered if there was a downside!
igave
The "downside" is if the electrolyte level is ever allowed to drop below the top of the plates the mineral oil will ruin the battery.
(IMO if adding mineral oil was a good thing... new batteries would come with mineral oil already in them).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #22

I just replaced my 4 wet cell batteries out and installed 4 full river AGM 6 volt house batteries. I always keep it plugged in to power while parked at my house.
Should I turn off the batteries bank and/or turn off my inverter/charger while it is not being used?
The new batteries were expensive and I don't want them to have a short life because I'm doing something wrong.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
igave
The "downside" is if the electrolyte level is ever allowed to drop below the top of the plates the mineral oil will ruin the battery.

(IMO if adding mineral oil was a good thing... new batteries would come with mineral oil already in them).

If you add the oil the levels DON'T drop.

If battery manufacturers put oil in them, they'd sell a lot less batteries.

Just think about that for a minute..........
Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Yep, you would think not. No for sp. Only one plug

Attachment 154941
Shows 13.87 with no charger on. Ill set the timer to run about 1 hr out of the day and see what they flatten out to
I've got a couple of those free meters and have found that they read differently from each other. I'd betcha your batteries aren't actually at 14.6 volts.

On the OP's question, there's a decent chance his older charger will damage the batteries if it stays plugged in day in and day out. He would definitely have to monitor voltage and maintain the batteries' water levels. I would not leave the frig going, not sure why some people think it's a good idea to do that.

It's normal to hear the hum, especially on older convertors.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
It shows 6.6 on single six volt. And 12.9 on the 12s..

Ill check it against 2others I have.

And no, they aren't 14.6 when not on charge. They show about 13.5 when the timer is cycled off.

Ill see what the onboard monitor reads at the same time.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
The onboard shows same as DVM - 13.68
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I just replaced my 4 wet cell batteries out and installed 4 full river AGM 6 volt house batteries. I always keep it plugged in to power while parked at my house.
Should I turn off the batteries bank and/or turn off my inverter/charger while it is not being used?
The new batteries were expensive and I don't want them to have a short life because I'm doing something wrong.
If you have a newer 3 stage charger you can leave plugged in. Would check fluid levels at a minimum monthly.
Steve70605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power