Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Plugging and unplugging motorhome

hello,
I'm wanting to learn the proper sequence when unplugging and plugging from shore power. meaning- Do I turn everything off inside then unplug? should i turn batteries off? can i start motorhome while plugged in? do i disconnect batteries when storing or is it ok to leave plugged into 30 amp on my property while not in use?

thanks in advance
DebiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Community Moderator

plugging and unplugging motorhome

I make sure no large power draws are on when disconnecting. Turn off breaker at pedestal before unplugging.

Make sure pedestal breaker is off before plugging in the shore power cord.

You can remain connected to shore power to maintain your batteries.

You can start engine while connected to shore power.

Highly recommend you have one of these to protect your motorhome from miswired pedestal recepticals, and voltage issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9743.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	348166
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should buy a device that is interposed between your coach and the shore power. It will sample power for problems for a minute or two....before allowing a connection. Progressive Industries is one mfr. Be sure the pedestal breaker is off....before you plug in as well as when unplugging. Use smooth and slightly forceful actions when plugging and unplugging.....You might get a spark or shock if one blade lags behind the other.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #4

I would add that if you're running air conditioning off the generator, shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes before plugging in, or before closing the shore power breaker at least. That lets the refrigerant pressure bleed down so the compressor(s) isn't trying to start against a high head pressure. Same with the refrigerator/freezer, if it's a compressor type. Puts less wear on the compressor's internal stalled-rotor/overload/overcurrent protection switch.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I would add that if you're running air conditioning off the generator, shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes before plugging in, or before closing the shore power breaker at least. That lets the refrigerant pressure bleed down so the compressor(s) isn't trying to start against a high head pressure. Same with the refrigerator/freezer, if it's a compressor type. Puts less wear on the compressor's internal stalled-rotor/overload/overcurrent protection switch.

I believe many (most?) thermostats provide a delay before starting air conditioning units, so you might not need to worry about this.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #6

i am plugged into 30 amp shore power. everything shut off except microwave, and electric recliner., frig. is off. just replaced ECM due to storm. I want to make sure when i am getting ready to drive it that I have unplugged and turned in proper order. (hope that makes sense) do i need to disconnect batteries (red light switch) for any reason?
Old 11-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #7

hi thanks for advise but what is a pedestal breaker ? i have a large panel of breakers in the hallway
Old 11-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
In a campsite, the electrical post (Shore power connection) where you plug the coach's power cord into, will have a set of breakers.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Not to nit pick but if he shuts it off before turning off the genset, then it won't matter if he plugs on into shore and turns on the breaker. The ac won't come back on until he physically takes action at the thermostat. On that note though, I definitely agree to give it a few minutes before turning the ac back on. Most thermostats do have the delay built in but,, ya never know.

Turn off larger power draw appliances such as ac, microwave, electric water heater, portable heater, etc,, before plugging/unplugging. I would also turn off TVs, computers, and other electronics just to be safe.

Whether plugging in or unplugging from shore,, Turn off the shore power breaker first.

And yes, not often that you'd need to but you can start the engine while connected to shore power.

Situations vary but I don't feel the need to have a surge suppressor or power monitor system on our 18 year old rig.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

so i make sure that breaker is off when plugging and unpluging?
Old 11-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiA View Post
so i make sure that breaker is off when plugging and unpluging?
Either the one on the pedestal (belongs to the RV park), or the "Main" breaker in the coach (belongs to you). Either one disconnects shore power from the coach.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
i am plugged into 30 amp shore power. everything shut off except microwave, and electric recliner., frig. is off. just replaced ECM due to storm. I want to make sure when i am getting ready to drive it that I have unplugged and turned in proper order. (hope that makes sense) do i need to disconnect batteries (red light switch) for any reason?
Quote:
hi thanks for advise but what is a pedestal breaker ? i have a large panel of breakers in the hallway
Pedestal breaker is the breaker on the post or pedestal that you plug your RV cord into. In a campground, there should be a circuit breaker for each outlet in their pedestal.

Shutting off ac devices that draw significant power from the shore cord are what you are striving for. The electric element on your water heater, if you have one, is an example of something that can be drawing amps without you being aware.

Don't turn off the battery disconnect. While you drive, your alternator will supply a charge to your coach batteries once your chassis (vehicle) battery has been charged and you will arrive with fully charged house batteries.

Turn OFF the battery disconnect only when you are storing the RV and have no plug-in power to keep the batteries charged.

Being new and uncertain, you can turn off you main 30 amp breaker in your electrical panel before you unplug from the pedestal. That cuts all ac power to your interior devices.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
In a campsite, the electrical post (Shore power connection) where you plug the coach's power cord into, will have a set of breakers.
You mean 'may' have a set of breakers.

I've stayed in several parks where you don't get access to the breaker.

All the pedestal breakers are kept in an off-building, and require you to contact management if you trip yours !
Old 11-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #14

ok thank you very much. I am a lady who retired and purchased a 37 ft. ,2004 National Tropical with 32,000 miles, and I love it. when I asked Camping World tech. he said He can answer all my questions but, I have to make an appointment and pay over $100. (can't remember exact amount)and i refused.

Tags
motor, motorhome