Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a kitchen slide with sink and another slide that has a refrigerator with icemaker. Coach is 4 years old with no plumbing or slide issues.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #16

Smile

I have a TV, Refrigerator, propane stove top and a sink in my full wall slide. Rv was new in 2010 and I've never had a problem.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I don't have plumbing in my slide, but my friends kitchen was in his slide, and the drain broke and leaked. I prefer one big slide at the front on the drivers side. The kitchen can be stationary on the passenger side. No moving parts in the kitchen or fridge area. A passenger slide in the kitchen area cuts into the awning area outside, and makes getting into the cargo bays harder if the slide is out. I have friends that have the kitchen slide on the passenger side, and never put it out for this reason. Im sure not everyone will agree, but why have drains and water lines flexing all the time to gain 12 inches of floor space. Just put a bigger slide on the other side instead. It would be different if the slide was 36 inches wide, but they seldom are much more than 12 inches under the awning. Whats the point I say.

I have thought about just not using that slide for that reason. Although, I guess one has to run it out and in every once in a while to keep everything lubricated and working.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #18

I had a 2006 Forest River Lexington B+ with a microwave, stove and range hood fan in a slide. Sold it 2 years ago, but I never had a problem with the electric or propane lines. My current coach does not have anything except electrical outlets in the slides.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #19

My coach is 13 years old, entire kitchen, lighting and outlets, and furnace slide in and out, and the refrigerator plus electrical lights and outlets in the opposite slide go in and out. So far, not a single hint of trouble.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #20

Have any of you camped in below freezing temps. We live in our Winnebago and the only water I have in a slide is the ice make line. It looks like to would be a bear to replace so I installed fittings under the sink and use air to blow the water out when low temps are expected.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've owned 2 different coaches with the kitchen plumbing in the slide with no leaks. Also had 3 different coaches with the refrigerator in the slide and still no issues and 2 of them were full wall slides.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
Have any of you camped in below freezing temps. We live in our Winnebago and the only water I have in a slide is the ice make line. It looks like to would be a bear to replace so I installed fittings under the sink and use air to blow the water out when low temps are expected.
We take out coach with us when we go snow skiing, with temperatures sometimes down to 0 degrees fahrenheit. We always travel with full water tank and empty waste tanks. We bought the coach to use, and we use it to its fullest. Rarely any problem with plumbing. BUT, not all RV's are made the same. Our coach has dual pane windows and covered tanks. I also provide additional heat in the basement compartments.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've got a full wall slide, kitchen slide and bedroom slide. My 40' coach has 80' of sidewalls, where about 60' - 65' of them move, yet I've had no issues with any utilities in six years.

I find none of the negatives previously mentioned an issue. As a matter of fact, neither has the buying public over the past ten years, as that is what they've been demanding from builders.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #24

Our 2004 MADP has the kitchen sink, propane cook top, microwave/convection oven and the built-in Uline ice maker in the front driver's side slide. Never a problem with any of the utility connections.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
As your OP stated, its going to be hard to find a rig without some sort of plumbing in the slide. Judging by the majority of the responses, it appears that your concerns should be laid to rest.

As to my experience, in the past 20 years, I've owned 4 different motorhomes. All had plumbing in the slides. I've never had a issue.

I must admit, I've always shared your concerned about the weight of a refer in the slide. Especially in the coach I presently own because it a full size residential refer. BUT, there again, hasn't been an issue.
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only issue I have had is with the icemaker in the residential fridge (same components as a Norcold gas fridge). I blow out the supply lines to the fridge every year but you cannot blow thru the icemaker solenoid in the rear of the fridge. I have found it is necessary to remove that solenoid and store it in a warm place. I added additional disconnect hardware to the supply and fridge lines to facilitate easy removal and reinstallation. Went thru 4 - $45 solenoids before I smartened up!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AbdRahim
You are going to have a massive ulcer worrying about things that are non issues.
If or when you have decided on a coach that looks right for you, go to the manufacturer sections for that coach and see what issues the actual owners are experiencing. If purchasing used, you can go back several years to see opinions on the model. Think that would be your best strategy.
Almost everything in new coaches works well subject to poor installation which is generally easily corrected. A lot of owners do not read the owners manual and you can sometimes spot those who bring all issues to this forum. I would not recommend an RV to anyone who is not handy and capable (or willing to learn and try) of making simple repairs - or you will watch your coach depreciate awaiting dealer repairs.
You should remember that there were so many RVs purchased in the past five year, that most dealer repair techs are learning on the job on your coach and are likely not well compensated. I am trying to tell you that the guy at the dealer has never fixed the "xyz" or even seen one before. You might find the your loving care will be the best option for most issues you might encounter and you will learn about the coach as you go. Hope you find the right coach and good luck!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plumbing In Slides

Just gathering info on what I may be in for. The coach is already ordered. These were items I was trying to avoid, but reality say you can't get everything in an everyday man's coach. I have been looking and asking. Thanks for the responses. It took four years to get the current coach just right. I hope not to repeat the process, if possible. it is difficult not to have second thoughts while waiting.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, slide