Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #15

Am I missing something? Whenever I look at towing capacity for under 40' diesels, it's usually 5,000 lbs or less. There are some great floor plans that meet my requirements and are diesel... Except they are rated too low towing capacity.

My husband really wants a diesel for ease at the pump (we had to leave a gas station without getting gas last trip because we could not use the diesel pumps and there was no room to maneuver at the gas pumps). He also thinks that a diesel will climb hills better. But everyone thinks a diesel has better towing capacity and I'm finding that to be incorrect in the under 40' segment.

So confused!
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by napria View Post
Am I missing something? Whenever I look at towing capacity for under 40' diesels, it's usually 5,000 lbs or less. ... But everyone thinks a diesel has better towing capacity and I'm finding that to be incorrect in the under 40' segment.

So confused!
In the last ten years or so many manufacturers have introduced "entry level" (like the cost of any of these isn't significant ) diesel coaches, some of which will share the same engine you get in a pickup truck, also sharing chassis similar to a gas coach. Just the fact that it takes diesel fuel does not, as you've discovered, mean that it is built any stronger than a gas coach. The good news is, you've discovered this before you bought.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #17

Large towing capacity requires heavier-duty components throughout the chassis, which is a lot more expensive than "just big enough." Most people don't need it, and don't want to pay for it.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Am I missing something? Whenever I look at towing capacity for under 40' diesels, it's usually 5,000 lbs or less. There are some great floor plans that meet my requirements and are diesel... Except they are rated too low towing capacity.

My husband really wants a diesel for ease at the pump (we had to leave a gas station without getting gas last trip because we could not use the diesel pumps and there was no room to maneuver at the gas pumps). He also thinks that a diesel will climb hills better. But everyone thinks a diesel has better towing capacity and I'm finding that to be incorrect in the under 40' segment.

So confused!
Ahhh, don't be confused. Be an informed consumer. Usually you get what you pay for. As another has pointed out the price point for DP has come down. In comping down many things have been downgraded.
You have the right idea in looking at what you want to tow and tow capacities to limit what to look at. The lower price point DP will have lower capacities due to Engine/Transmission combinations along with a number of other factors.
Try to get an understanding on GVWR, GCWR, CCC/OCCC, and hitch ratings.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #19

This is overwhelming and despite RVing in a 40' fifthwheel with five slideouts, I feel like a complete newbie.

I'm leaning toward Newmar or American Coach. They both have nice entry level models that fit the bill. Are they on par quality wise?
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
This is overwhelming and despite RVing in a 40' fifthwheel with five slideouts, I feel like a complete newbie.

I'm leaning toward Newmar or American Coach. They both have nice entry level models that fit the bill. Are they on par quality wise?
Either would be a good choice, backed by great service departments and a lot of loyal owners to help you with any issue that may pop up.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote