Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #1

Point me in the right direction

I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms but here goes...

We've been RVing for 12 years, 99% in a fifth wheel and anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks at a time. Vacations only. You get the picture. My husband and I are looking to "long time" when we retire. We were pretty sure we'd stick with our current 40' Montana fifth wheel till last month's trip to Disney. After considering a bunch of things from that trip we're thinking of a Class A instead.

Here's what's on our wish list:
No greater than 40' (preferably 36' -38')
Able to tow a pickup truck with an electric golf cart in the bed
Access to fridge and toilet with slides in
NO bunk beds
Electric fireplace facing a couch
Bed has floor space to walk on three sides (I make our bed every morning and it's important to be able to stand comfortably on both sides to do this)

Any suggestions? Do you currently have a coach you love that fits the bill? And do we NEED diesel in order to meet our towing requirements?

Thanks!
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Our Thor Challenger 37 KT meets each of your listed items.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you want new or used?
What is your price range?
Going to finance or pay cash?
Will you keep a MH before trading up, 5 years, 10 years or 20 years?
How many miles a year do you plan to travel?

Don't test drive a diesel after a gas test drive.
Make sure, what ever you buy has a tow rating of 10K
Not all gas or diesel have that.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
"Here's what's on our wish list:
NO bunk beds
Bed has floor space to walk on three sides (I make our bed every morning and it's important to be able to stand comfortably on both sides to do this)"

Keep in mind, a 40' motorhome will give up 4 or 5' to the dashboard area so it won't have all the same space as a fifth wheel. If spending a lot more time in the RV than you do now you may want to consider this.

As you're putting a golf cart in the back of the truck I presume you're talking about a full size pickup, and probably a 4X4 at that (so it can be flat towed). That's going to easily exceed the tow rating of most gas coaches, typically set at 5k. This suggests that a DP would work much better for you, besides, the ability to use truck stops for refueling will take a lot of stress out of having to find a refueling stop you'll be able to get in and out of.

Bunk bed models are a small percentage of the motorhomes sold so while readily available, I doubt finding a non-bunk model will be a challenge.

I've never been in a rig that wasn't designed for access to the fridge and a bathroom when in travel mode. You'll find many threads from over the years discussing how easy this is, with varied opinions as to what is acceptable, you'll just have to decide on the latter point when you find your dream rig.

Most will have three side access to the bed, but my wife has a hard time making ours due to the depth of the slides. The head of the bed is recessed back into the slide and her 5' frame forces her to stretch to pull the bedspread all the way up, just one of the reasons I usually do it. Again, you'll have to check and consider this when you are shopping.

I know I've seen coaches with the fireplace/seating area as you describe but I can't tell you off the top of my head which makes or models offer it. I'm certain your entire wish list is possible but I would encourage you to not totally reject the idea of a 42 - 43' coach. They're going to fit into 99% of the places you can take your 40' 5th wheel and they'll give you more options when shopping for everything you want inside.

Good luck! The "hunt" is half the fun!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really evaluate is the added expense, size, depreciation and complexity of a Motorhome is worth it. Class A's have faults too, you'll find after you buy one. In ours is the cold tile floor, small shower, basement compartments way under the slides, maintenance costs, and manuavering in tight spots.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Winnebago Tour or Itasca Ultra 42QL, but your into a 42'. Meets your needs.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #7

As was pointed out, the weight of the golf cart in the pick up pushes it over the tow capacity of most gas units. The rest is more or less normal in the over 30 ft A's. I really doubt you will look back in sorrow after the move. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

As far as I can see, Thor's Challenger is the only gas Class A that has a tow capacity of over 5k lbs. some of the smaller diesel pushers have only a 5k rating. I like the Newmar Canyon Star, but its tow rating is only 5k. I'd like to stay under $250,000. I'd prefer new or under 5 years old.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Since bed access is important, find a diesel coach (for your towing req's) with a model that comes in either king or queen flavors....and make sure you get the queen version. That'll give you couple extra inches of walk around room, since that is important.

Most all coaches have fridge and bath accessibility with the slides in. Since the max coach width is dictated by DMV, typically the deeper the slides (which give more space when open and living), makes it tighter to get into frig and bath when closed. You'll have to choose what's acceptable to you, and more important.....living space, or access when driving. Or perhaps, middle of the road for both.

Once you get out and start looking, you'll find a number of coaches could work for you.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by napria View Post
I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms but here goes...

We've been RVing for 12 years, 99% in a fifth wheel and anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks at a time. Vacations only. You get the picture. My husband and I are looking to "long time" when we retire. We were pretty sure we'd stick with our current 40' Montana fifth wheel till last month's trip to Disney. After considering a bunch of things from that trip we're thinking of a Class A instead.

Here's what's on our wish list:
NO bunk beds
Bed has floor space to walk on three sides (I make our bed every morning and it's important to be able to stand comfortably on both sides to do this)

Any suggestions? Do you currently have a coach you love that fits the bill? And do we NEED diesel in order to meet our towing requirements?

Thanks!
Our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT meets all of those requirements except the fireplace. We had a fireplace in our Cedar Creek 5er that we pulled for 10 years and loved it, but there's not place in the Windsor for one!

I think you are definitely on the right track!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #11

We bought a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 ft with the QBH floor plan. 1& 1/2 bath, fireplace, sofa. 19,000 miles in 1 1/2 year. Great unit.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I'd start attending all of the RV shows in my area, visit dealers as you travel, and just find coaches that suit your floor plan. Yes, definitely diesel, so limit your search to those. As you look and look, you'll find one that just hits you.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #13

An Itasca Horizon 40FD. 4 slides, couch and recliner facing the TV and fireplace on opposite wall. Easy walk around 3 sides of the REAL queen bed. And of course easy and ready access to bath and kitchen with slides in. If we are boon docking at a rest area or Walmart type place, only have to run one BR slide out to sleep. I hope mine lasts forever because so many don't have the build quality, floor plan, and comfort we have.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at the Tiffin Allegro Bus. It has a diesel engine large enough to tow your full size pickup with a golf cart in the back. You will also have access to the bathroom without opening the slides and you can stand/walk on 3 sides of the bed. It also has a fireplace across from the couch under the tv.

You will also get the support of the Tiffin factory at Red Bay, Al.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote