Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How well do your headlights work and does that affect your driving?
I have great headlights now so making them better won't change my driving times. 60 32.09%
I drive few miles at night but would more if the headlights were much better illumination. 37 19.79%
I don't drive many miles no matter the time as the RV stays where it is. 5 2.67%
I drive 0 - 10% miles at night because my headlights are really bad. 49 26.20%
I drive 11-25% miles at night. 40 21.39%
I drive 26 - 50% miles at night. 15 8.02%
Most of my driving is at night. 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See how small my headlights are? It's like a 3" hole in the fiberglass. Most Googles pics show 2006 Holiday Ramblers with what looks like a Ford Taurus headlight. Mine must have been an upgrade or option??? I really need to find a better bulb or light. I can barely tell when I've turned on my headlights. The fog lights help though.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR Headlights.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	296872  
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
See how small my headlights are? It's like a 3" hole in the fiberglass. Most Googles pics show 2006 Holiday Ramblers with what looks like a Ford Taurus headlight. Mine must have been an upgrade or option??? I really need to find a better bulb or light. I can barely tell when I've turned on my headlights. The fog lights help though.....
Yeah but it looks pretty cool
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #59

A lot of folks, me included, like to USE their MHs for what they are designed for: A home on wheels! Ideally, driving 250-300 miles a day, then stopping while the sun's still shining, maybe a highball, an early dinner and then bed is super appealing! Let the crazies have the rush hour. Still, this idyllic scenario isn't always practical. Example: Maybe you have a reservation at an RV resort that you've made waaay in advance and they won't credit or refund you if you're late arriving. They might even give your RV site to someone else if you're late. In that situation, maybe some night driving is necessary to make up lost time due to an unforseen traffic delay etc. This has happened to me before. So on the day prior to my scheduled arrival at my destination, I do calculations and then drive a few hours into the night, and then stop at a truck stop or Wallyworld to recharge my batteries. However, I will NEVER AGAIN do a 17 hour stint at the wheel of my MH again! In that case, if we're late, well that's the way it is!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I still like the peaceful quiet solitude of driving through the night with no one for company but a few truckers, everyone at a slightly slower pace than during the day. Reminds me of the midnight watches in my sailing days. So decent lights would be a plus. Also the middle of the night is the best time to traverse big cities like LA or Chicago, of the five or so in a row on 95 from DC through Boston.

I also enjoy the slower pace and ease of an early stop, so I do that more than anything these days. But if I don’t find a decent place to stop and it’s getting late, I’ll push on, and catch a few Z’s in a rest area or truck stop, rather than paying for a campground that I’m only going to use for sleep. In those cases, good headlights would be well appreciated.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
Those look like projector lights. good news. Figure out what housings they are (Hella? really good stuff).
Upgrade the bulbs and ensure you have good voltage (look at the relay kits too)
Don't diss them because they are small...think about it...the largest housings use the same tiny bulbs...what's important is how well the housing aims the light forward. Doesn't take a huge housing to do so. The reflector design behind the bulb is what's important. And hopefully they use a solenoid gate for High / Low beam. You can tell by looking if there are two bulb elements or one. A solenoid gate is for one always on bulb.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...tems-universal
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...elay-harnesses
Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #62

ZERO, only if I have to! And we usually plan not to!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #63

Before we retired we would drive a lot at night due to limited time. Now the majority is daytime but have no problem driving at night if the need arises. Usually only do it to familiar destinations or well lit locations like a Walmart. I still have excellent night vision. My wife has always had poor night vision so she doesn’t drive at night unless an emergency.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #64

Post Headlight thread

With travel, for work or pleasure, I believe that when Mr. Murphy comes to play it is at the worst time possible. It is my plan to reduce these opportunities when and where I can. There are lots of notes here on preferences but ultimately I believe our species is meant to sleep when it is dark and be awake in the light. Otherwise we would all be blessed with great night vision and keen instincts of predictability. This is a great conversation bit because I would add here how remarkable it is that manufacturers of RVs seem to forget that these beasts do roam in the nights in weird and wonderful places. Just equip them with the best possible systems of the day. The worst thing that can happen is that there are more RVs on the road at night! Safe travels to all.
gcushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #65

How much do you drive at night.

I’d drive more IF our 17’ Tiffin Phaeton had decent headlights. Guess I’m used to our other new vehicles with either HID or LED lighting which is superior. Does anyone know if someone makes a light housing that could replace the factory units Tiffin uses? I tried LED bulbs but the pattern is terrible because of the original housing. Hate to just cut some holes and add more lights and the front is too low for effective use of mounting accessory lights. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I can't vote here because I don't drive at night. Only in an emergency would I drive at night
Same here.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #67

Night Driving

When I lived in Visalia, California the wife and I would drive to Wisconsin almost non stop about twice a year. I prefer to drive at night, less traffic and I found the truckers at night were polite, courteous and for what it worth more receptive to motorhomes on the road. Winnebago uses the same seal beam headlights as the auto industry and were as good as the ones on my toad. Never had a vehicle with plastic lenses just for the fact that they get foggy over time and reduce the light projection. Just my 2cents.
Happy traveling
mrprz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't read through all of the prior posts so my apologies in advance if I repeat someone's recommendation. When I purchased my Ventana LE some 15 months ago, the lighting from the headlights was "horrible" and that's an understatement. This time last year when I had the Ventana at Houston Cummins Coach Care for routine maintenance, I told the shop supervisor about the very poor headlights and he said he would find and fix the problem.

What he found was stunning. The headlight positioning when the coach was manufactured had the headlights "beaming into space" with very little light aimed at the road surface. The headlight positioning was corrected to the proper position and the change was dramatic. Additionally, the shop supervisor removed the cheap OEM bulbs and replaced them with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs (which I use in my othe vehicles). The combination of proper headlight positioning and better bulbs give me night time visibility I have with my Jeep Wrangler and my wife's BMW.

For those having poor lighting from your headlights, the first thing to check is the positioning of the lights to assure there are angled properly to illuminate the roadways well. And install high quality bulbs!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #69

Driving at night

I try to avoid driving at night. One of the few draw backs of my older 2000 DSDP is the crappy head lights. Would like to retrofit with LED.
Any suggestions?
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #70

Since I pull a TT, my lights have always been good for routine driving. I added high-mounted LEDs to the rear and both sides (for the peripheral). Also added floods to the rear of the TT for backing needs.
I've always preferred to drive at night, especially if there was nothing to see from the road. Less traffic, less waiting time, tailgate supper, road food. Chip Ahoy cookies and coffee kept me going.
After cataract surgery, glasses to reduce the halo of oncoming lights helped enough that I still prefer to travel at night. When stops along the way to 'see things' are necessary, I'll travel during the daytime.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote