RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How well do your headlights work and does that affect your driving?
I have great headlights now so making them better won't change my driving times. 60 32.09%
I drive few miles at night but would more if the headlights were much better illumination. 37 19.79%
I don't drive many miles no matter the time as the RV stays where it is. 5 2.67%
I drive 0 - 10% miles at night because my headlights are really bad. 49 26.20%
I drive 11-25% miles at night. 40 21.39%
I drive 26 - 50% miles at night. 15 8.02%
Most of my driving is at night. 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #71

We just do not drive much at night, regardless of the headlight quality. Travel days are limited to around 200-250 miles a day from around 9 am at the earliest to say 4 pm at the latest. Almost always set up before it starts to get dark.
garywvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #72

Poll: How much do you drive at night?

Our 1993 Fleetwood Flair had terrible headlights -- brights were almost ok but dims were really dim. I hated driving at night; only in an emergency. I asked my regular mechanic about it and he replaced them with different ones and it was much improved. Don't know what they were.
We now have a 2014 Itasca Sunstar and while I'm still not wild about driving at night, that's just me. The RV's lights are OK, high and low.
The white lights are OK when they're yours, but when they're comin' at you, they're awful. A bit hypocritical, I know.
Flair-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #73

I avoid driving at night if can. Main reason to darn many bugs in areas we frequent. When we have had to drive at night we have found that the lights on (4 different) motorhomes are lacking at best. One Winny 2 Fleetwoods and our presant DP Neumar. We have done everything from light upgrades to having to do fiberglass work just to get lights to there basic adjustment. Apparently night lighting is not a big concern to the manufactures.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #74

Our 98 Beaver has the classic "dim headlight " issue. We've done the relay fix, but that only helped about 20%. It's terrible. My wife refuses to let us drive at night. We do have auxiliary LED driving lights that put out aircraft landing-like light, but I worry about blinding on-coming traffic. The lights are from older Ford F-150's, and they suck (45 watt apparently).
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #75

I find it almost impossible to drive safely at night due to the poor headlights on my motorhome. If it starts to rain I have no choice but to pull over and stop. Wondering what others do to improve theirs.
GeoKayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #76

My Adventurer has the rectangular quad lights with the glass lenses and they are great at night. When they need replacing I use the Sylvania SilverStars and get new glass lenses and real glass mirrored reflectors inside the sealed vacuum bulbs.

A lot of the new "Superior Lights" were not designed to throw more light but to allow automakers to develop more stylish vehicles without the limitations imposed on them by being only able to choose from 2 types of round sealed beam lamps and 2 different rectangular sealed beam lamps.

The plastic lenses of these new lamps that came out in the late 1970's and continue to this date are prone to yellowing and growing dim until they become basically useless without refurbishing them or buying frightfully expensive replacements. The halogen bulbs themselves technically only maintain their brightness for the first year before they start dimming dramatically and then when the plastic lenses start to yellow and turn cloudy replacing the bulb becomes moot since they are behind the yellowed lenses with their cataracts. On top of that the plastic reflectors start to fail after a short while too further reducing the light output and then no amount of polishing the lenses is going to fix that. Put brighter bulbs into the plastic housings while it initially increases their brightness also hastens their death so that the expensive plastic light assemblies need to be replaced more often.

With the sealed beams though one now has to be cautious as some on the market now have plastic lenses on them instead of glass which of course grow dim much faster than the sealed glass bulbs so one has to be cautious of any bargain sealed beam headlamps to ensure they do not get this fakes with the plastic lenses.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #77

I would vote the lower percentage of time but not due to headlight issues. I have a Thor Ace and they were fine the night I drove late into night. I have 5 kids so we will be taking trips right after school is out. If I can drive from 4:30-10 and get some miles I will. I didnít see any issues with headlights and being able to see and I was on I75 in rural Kentucky. Based upon others I guess Iíll test headlights at night before upgrading 😂.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #78

I do my best not to drive more than 6 hours a day.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #79

I don't drive much at night because of the same reasons as above, but I also feel it's risky at night because of the long stopping distances a motorhome needs. I don't know if there's any headlight that goes out far enough for you to stop within the beam. I also think the fact that you are sitting so far above the lights affects visibility. These factors increase the risks for night driving to the point that I'd rather not drive at night.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6465 View Post
I don't drive much at night because of the same reasons as above, but I also feel it's risky at night because of the long stopping distances a motorhome needs. I don't know if there's any headlight that goes out far enough for you to stop within the beam. I also think the fact that you are sitting so far above the lights affects visibility. These factors increase the risks for night driving to the point that I'd rather not drive at night.
This was one of the reason I quit riding Harleys. I was always out-riding my lights at night. Not good any time and especially on two wheels. I spent lots of time modifying and improving lights but in the end, it just wasnít enough. Now if I can find lights that make 55mph in a coach safe at night, Iíll be happy.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #81

I do drive some at night because it is less traffic and a different style of driver. Age and eyes are part of it. The most and scariest is the airplane bright lights coming at me. They are bad enough on interstates and four lane roads. My last encounter was a two lane in Ohio of which I could not see twenty feet in front of us. All the trucks and cars were back up for seven miles leaving no rest for the eyes. Forty-five years ago I would start at home about 4:30 and drive till about 7,stop and fill the kids bellies . Hit the road and the kids would fall asleep and drive until breakfast. After that we would find a campground or city park with a pool and playgrounds while I took a long nap.When they were worn out about 4:30 we start all over again. My license plate today says RV THRYT.
overeasy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #82

I have put over 5K miles driving at night. Not because I wanted to, but when the day is short and you don't have a lot of time on vacation, it was something I had to do. I felt stopping when it was dark at 6 PM at a Walmart when I had 600 more miles to get to my destination, I chose to drive until about 10 PM or so and knock that down to 450 miles or so.

As for the Headlights. I will say this. If your headlight plastic are discolored AT ALL, replace them. There is nothing worse than driving when it's dark, in the rain, road construction with dim headlights. I suggest this as a test. If you can drive with your high beams on and you don't get flashed much by on coming traffic, change the headlights for gods sake. I drove about 100 miles with my high beams on, on a two lane busy highway and didn't get flashed once.They lit up so I thought they were okay, not a good reason. Jim 02 Monaco with HHR dingy
Jim Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
For those having poor lighting from your headlights, the first thing to check is the positioning of the lights to assure there are angled properly to illuminate the roadways well. And install high quality bulbs!
Good point. And not hard to check:

https://www.jwspeaker.com/wp-content...-beam-2016.pdf

Once you know your headlights are out of adjustment, then next step is to figure out how to make the adjustments on your system. Usually some screws at the top or bottom and one on one side to move up / down / left / right.
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #84

My 1999 headlights are terrible, so I avoid driving at night unless absolutely necessary. Last year, due to a major accident on Rt95, I was stuck driving after dark, in the rain and on an unfamiliar bypass loop around a major city. Before I went traveling again I added HELLA 6" driving lamps on my front air dam, which seriously improved my visibility. Regardless, I don't drive at night unless I get stuck doing so, not only due to reduced visibility, but also due to the lack of service and emergency facilities during that timeframe.