Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How well do your headlights work and does that affect your driving?
I have great headlights now so making them better won't change my driving times. 60 32.09%
I drive few miles at night but would more if the headlights were much better illumination. 37 19.79%
I don't drive many miles no matter the time as the RV stays where it is. 5 2.67%
I drive 0 - 10% miles at night because my headlights are really bad. 49 26.20%
I drive 11-25% miles at night. 40 21.39%
I drive 26 - 50% miles at night. 15 8.02%
Most of my driving is at night. 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Driving at Night

I avoid driving at night because I like to be in an RV park before dinner, no matter the time of year. I generally avoid driving more than 250 mile a day when I can. What's the hurry?
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #86

Alpine Owners Club
Headlights? Night driving?

The issue is not lights, it’s you! If you take AARP senior safe driving class you will learn! Just as you run slower now than you did when you were 25, your iris muscles are slower and weaker. When your eyes need to change between approaching headlights and darkness, they are weaker and slower. You CANNOT see as well at night (unless you’re the rare 30 year old RVer.). So TRY not to drive in the dark any more than you must. Headlights are not what’s making it harder!
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2019 Newmar DS and I would never dream of driving this beast at night. It is also a recipe for disaster to arrive at a campground in the dark. I am always amazed at the number of rigs I see arriving at campgrounds late into the night. Beside the huge risk, who wants to set up in the dark?
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #88

Bad headlights

My headlight lens were old and had turned foggy. I found the headlights on my 2000 Safari Continental Panther were the same as a 92-95 Ford Taurus. Even with new headlights I shy away from driving at night. My driving lights are much brighter but if I raised them they would be blinding to oncoming traffic. What has anyone done to improve their lights. I would appreciate any info to brighten my life in the coach at night.
Littlestinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #89

Sylvania 7” LED headlights

I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD. I try to avoid driving at night these days. My original headlights were terrible. After some research, I chose the Sylvania LED headlights. OMG, what a difference! H6024 7” headlights. I got them through Walmart. Extremely impressed! You will not be disappointed.
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #90

Sylvania 7” LED headlights

I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD. I try to avoid driving at night these days. My original headlights were terrible. After some research, I chose the Sylvania LED headlights. OMG, what a difference! H6024 7” headlights. I got them through Walmart. Extremely impressed! You will not be disappointed.
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #91

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I drive less than 10% at night but it's not due to poor headlights so I can't vote.
I'm retired so no need to drive at night although I do if necessary.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 AM   #92

Zero.

We choose pretty routes from pretty places to pretty places.
Our routes are too pretty to travel at night.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #93

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Additional Lighting

My 2006 Georgetown is another coach that uses older headlights from the big 3. The high beams are pathetic and low not much better. I've replaced my "fog" lights with Hella units that provide a wide light pattern that has a very sharp cutoff that doesn't bother oncoming drivers. Those in tandem with the stock headlights do well for normal nighttime in traffic conditions. The bigger problem was the reach of the stock high beams, Given the poor reflector design of the stock headlights, going to aftermarket bulbs won't solve the issue. Years ago I had purchased 2 Ciibie 5-3/4" round high beam lights to replace the existing high beams. These coupled with 100 watt halogen bulbs light up reflectors a mile away and are exceptional for when there's no oncoming traffic for illuminating the road ahead. I've wired them to work in tandem with the stock high beams. They're mounted in an old dual headlight bracket designed for 5-3/4" headlights behind the grill.

I recently purchased an after market 5-3/4" LED headlight for my '93 Harley and that lamp is incredible. Very sharp cutoff on low so not to offend oncoming traffic and a great high beam. We have a lot of deer out here and driving the bike at night is always of concern. This headlight give much better coverage to help allay the fears.

I've always gone for the aftermarket European design replacements for the old sealed beams in my vehicles and they were well worth it. Putting brighter bulbs in poorly designed headlights doesn't rally help anyone - and PLEASE be sure the headlights are properly aimed!
tgproios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKayG View Post
I find it almost impossible to drive safely at night due to the poor headlights on my motorhome. If it starts to rain I have no choice but to pull over and stop. Wondering what others do to improve theirs.
Adjust or have someone adjust your headlights first. Then after everything is in good alinement. Change out to a quality upgraded bulbs like Sylvania silverstones or even Quality LED if its in your budjet. Don't go cheap on the bulbs it is what really makes it after you have good alinement. ALWAYS aline first.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #95

It isn't the headlight's fault!

Early in my ownership (three summers) I replaced the headlights with expensive new bulbs. I have yet to drive at night to test their effectiveness. It isn't that I am reluctant to drive at night but that all of our trips have been during the long summer days and the fact that many campgrounds don't allow/like after dark arrivals. I think most of us also don't like arriving and backing into a site during the dark. That is probably more of the reason for not driving at night for most of us. STILL, better headlights should be installed. I'd like to hear from an OTR driver about how good their truck lights were in comparison to their coach. That will tell us something important: can they be better?
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #96

why drive at night

I only drive in daylight hours because I enjoy the view out my window.
rogerray45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #97
Zow

Forest River Owners Club
My rv looks like a ufo with all the lights I put on it .I put lights behind the grille, on the roof in back and on the sides not to drive at night but for camp sites when I pull in and back down if I have to, every inch around me is illuminated. I bought an RV to relax and enjoy the road , I generally pull in when it starts to get dark and make supper & enjoy.
Zow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem with my 2001 Tiffin allegro was not brightness , although i upgraded to HID , it was the aim . headlight shells blown in place with self drilling screws and never aimed .
I got new assembleys for a Fleetwood Disco and aimed them with much shimming and fiddling . I prefer 5000k white beam of HID modification cause i'm an auto tech and use the kits in my other vehicles . It illuminates reflectors 1500 feet + ahead
Chucknord is offline   Reply With Quote