RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How well do your headlights work and does that affect your driving?
I have great headlights now so making them better won't change my driving times. 60 32.09%
I drive few miles at night but would more if the headlights were much better illumination. 37 19.79%
I don't drive many miles no matter the time as the RV stays where it is. 5 2.67%
I drive 0 - 10% miles at night because my headlights are really bad. 49 26.20%
I drive 11-25% miles at night. 40 21.39%
I drive 26 - 50% miles at night. 15 8.02%
Most of my driving is at night. 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Weiss View Post
The issue is not lights, it’s you! If you take AARP senior safe driving class you will learn! Just as you run slower now than you did when you were 25, your iris muscles are slower and weaker. When your eyes need to change between approaching headlights and darkness, they are weaker and slower. You CANNOT see as well at night (unless you’re the rare 30 year old RVer.). So TRY not to drive in the dark any more than you must. Headlights are not what’s making it harder!
I drive a LOT at night (law enforcement shift work) and see very well driving in all light conditions. This topic has nothing really to do with driving at night in general, and whether your old eyes are able to function in lower light. We're mainly referring to inadequate lights in Class A mohos. AARP cannot fix this. Even at 58, my eyesight is extremely good.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #100

Added Side-Marker Lights

We do a fair amount the night driving in our 2012 Tiffin RED. I have no complainants about the head lights. My 1 concern was side viability. The exterior is fairly dark (Rocky Mountain Brown) with only 1 amber side maker light flush-mounted near the rear wheels. I've added raised Bargman LED side markers just behind the front wheel (amber) and on the side of the rear cap (red). I am considering adding a amber compartment door-mounted light 1/2 way between the others. Hopefully they will prevent an night time T-bone from some drunk.
Brian O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #101

Tiffin pilot

Its not the brightness but the aim . My original headlight assembly's were blown in with self drilling screws and never aimed . Couldn't drive at night . Also lenses were too bad to polish . searched and found similar lights on Amazon for a Fleetwood Disco of about the same year . took much shimming and adjusting but i finally have an acceptable pattern . Added 5000k HID because it illuminates reflectors over 1500 ft ahead .
Chucknord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #102

Never

11 years on the road and have never driven at night, never had the need to.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #103

My headlights were hideous, on the darkest night you could hardly tell they were on. I replaced them with HID lamps and had them professionally aimed - YUUUGGGE improvement! I think I do like the more sunlight spectrum of light though.

Even in the car, I don't like to drive at night because of the on-coming headlights and I really don't like to maneuver the rig in the dark. So I plan my travel times for daylight hours. But just in case my best laid plans get FUBAR'd (and they have) I at least have decent forward vision to drive at night if I have to, and I can maneuver in the dark if I have to but I don't like it.
Rocket Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #104

Switched to LEDs for the improved view upfront, and carry a pair of the yellow lens sunglasses that I use for night driving that helps to cut down the glare from oncoming traffic.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #105

Driving at night sucks! It cuts into happy hour.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:45 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
While my lights are not very bright, I prefer to only drive during daylight hours to enjoy the scenery. I did however sand, spray with clear paint and wax lenses which increased visibility greatly.
CruisinCondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We used to use a Flitz product on the plastic covers on the fire apparatus light bars - made hazy, cloudy, oxidized plastic look like new. Also great on plastic headlight lenses.

https://www.flitz.com/polishes/
Old 08-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #108

Not a fan of night driving, and not because of the headlights. The few times i have{and we all have} just did not feel safe. As you know a MH and a tow vehicle is a hand full on a bright day let alone throwing some darkness into the equation. I prefer to enjoy the experience and feeling safe is a huge part of it.
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #109

Forest River Owners Club
Night Driving

There's a lot of folks that seem to avoid night time driving, and their reasons are appropriate. In my situation, most of the night driving is unavoidable as I'm neither retired with no schedule or a full timer. Our primary use now for the coach is travelling to dog shows to show our champion Great Danes. Still working full time, that means getting in a few hours after work to those shows that are 300+ miles away. On Sundays, that means leaving late in the afternoon for the 5+ hours home. As I stated in my previous post in this thread, my Georgetown's lights were really not up to the task for running at night for long distances. With my upgrades night driving is not stressful.
tgproios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #110

Just be mindful that some of these alternative lamps being recommended are technically not DOT certified or lawful for use on a public roadway and are really only intended for off road use.

Many peoples night time issues are really going to be due to headlights in need of adjustment, uneven loading of the coach, modern plastic headlamp assemblies that have cataracts or simply old bulbs. Even the Super Duper HiTech bulbs loose a substantial amount of light output after 1 year from the day they are first used.

Again those with the modern lights need to be aware that the brighter aftermarket bulbs can greatly reduce the lifespan of the plastic lenses and reflectors that the modern Halogen light housings are made of.

Once the heat of these ultra bright lights causes the mirroring (shiny Mylar plastic coating) on the reflectors to flake off or the back of the lens in the plastic housing to cloud up inside its all over and you will need to replace the entire lamp housing unless you are very good at cutting these brittle plastic housings apart to clean things up and apply a new reflective coating to the reflector and then able to re-assemble it so that it can still be aimed correctly.

On age and eyes its pretty well known that the older you get that your night vision diminishes to the point where tinted glass will be a very, very bad option to have on your vehicles. For many older drivers even lightly tinted glass on their vehicles can be a very large part of the problem. Many motor homes unfortunately have a tinted glass on the windshields that really is not a good choice for older folks at dawn, dusk or at night.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #111

I worked tons of hours at bodyshop for a few years. Replaced 100s of HLs. This was before plastic headlights we had devices to aim glass sealedbeam HLs.
Halogens many times didn't aim as they should. I would take the vehicles to nearby quite flat level dark road and aim them sometimes one at a time. Owners would think they're same undamaged HLs were new special bulbs . It was better than having them come back in during daylight hours and complain of poor or blinding HLs .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems that the headlights are there only to wArn oncoming traffic that you are there, hopefully in your lane. Then when you arrive you have to park and set up in the dark, while all the day drivers are laughing and critiquing your parking skills! Except for emergency, no need to drive at night, and I still have good night vision!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote