Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #15

Ragtop ... Other than WHO / WHERE made, I have a slight preference for a PTR... But, if you’re gonna oversized the radiator your only choice might be an all aluminum radiator to accommodate the thicker core.... As a side note I’m in favor or a 65-70% antifreeze solution in the cooling system.... And to those of you using a 50/50 antifreeze mix after draining your old coolant: have you ever calculated how much of that dirty used old “stuff” is left in the engine block, heater, hoses, dirty recovery system after you’ve drained it???If you have drain plugs on your engine ( I do ) it might be wise to use them when doing a flush & fill..Also if vehicle has been modded I recommend checking for electrolysis in the cooling system....
Stuff-Happens is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
4 what it's worth, I have a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mounting and using Cat ELC coolant with no problems. Replace 6 years ago plus close to 75% of the Country Coaches have had there radiators replace because of bad aluminum radiators.
Mine came from https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/products/motorhomes-rv/
installed by Quinn Cat in California.
2 stroker
X2 for RSH. they build a copper core with steel end tanks bolted together and looks like it's bullet proof! Mine has been in for a year and about 6K miles with no problems. They also custom built me a CAC to replace my old leaky one. I did the install along with all new hoses, OAT coolant belts, thermostat AND a more efficient, quieter fan from Source Engineering. TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #17

Sorry, but I am in the camp of copper and brass. I can fix it anywhere with a torch, flux, and some solder. Yes those are all things I carry in my coach. Even if I didn't carry them with me they could all be bought at any hardware store for less than $100 any day of the week. As for the aluminum with plastic tanks they became the standard because weight, and cost. they are disposable junk IMHO. Copper/brass has been tried tested and proven for a long time.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #18

FWIW... Remember when batteries were ONLY 6 volt flooded; then it got better - 12 volt flooded...Then it got better with no maintenance batteries.... Now we have lithium & etc choices, even better yet...Times change.... And so do radiators... I’m not saying copper / brass is bad, I’m only saying times change & so do radiators... When the PTR’s first came out EVERYONE in the repair industry started laughing & also oiled the cash register... Those that laughed wound up wasting the oil & closed their doors ... That is history... How many laughed at electric cars? ...” How long is the extension cord on that electric car?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #19

My $.02 worth...started with a brass/copper/solder radiator, developed a leak/blockage in one of the cross tubes. Radiator came out, and bottom (which was already split but held together by the Spartan side frame) spewed all over.

Repair: $670.

Replace with All aluminum: $900.

Easy choice, really...
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
The manufacturers went to plastic tanks and aluminum cores because it was lighter and every ounce counts when you're trying to meet government fuel mileage standards.
Doesn't mean it's better.
And the radiator repair shops disappeared because the new radiators were disposable and not worth repairing.
I am not in the radiator business but I deal with 1000 gallon tanks under vacuum and pressure. We have a lot more corrosion problems with the aluminum tanks than we do with carbon steel tanks.
Furthermore, aluminum expands and contracts more with temperature change than steel, brass or copper.
This!

All aluminum is one thing. I would not necessarily have a problem with that, but radiators with plastic tanks are an inferior product if we are using the test of time as a measurement. They simply do not hold up as well. Everything is becoming "throw away" these days and this is the "throw away" version of the radiator.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
This!

All aluminum is one thing. I would not necessarily have a problem with that, but radiators with plastic tanks are an inferior product if we are using the test of time as a measurement. They simply do not hold up as well. Everything is becoming "throw away" these days and this is the "throw away" version of the radiator.
That's why I am getting a metal coolant tank. Have heard others say how the sun is eating theirs up, and cracking. Mine isn't leaking yet. But it does have those cracks.
My new one is supposed to be here Wed. 16th this month.
Can't wait to see what it is made of. (Not Plastic)
Lee
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
The manufacturers went to plastic tanks and aluminum cores because it was lighter and every ounce counts when you're trying to meet government fuel mileage standards.
Doesn't mean it's better.
And the radiator repair shops disappeared because the new radiators were disposable and not worth repairing.
I am not in the radiator business but I deal with 1000 gallon tanks under vacuum and pressure. We have a lot more corrosion problems with the aluminum tanks than we do with carbon steel tanks.
Furthermore, aluminum expands and contracts more with temperature change than steel, brass or copper.
Nah. They went to the plastic tank because it is CHEAPER. Nothing more, nothing less. Seen the same thing thing in automobiles. There was a time when you could find radiator shops that could actually clean out and repair radiators. Not so many nowadays thanks to the clamped plastic tanks that are not soldered in and depend on a crimped lip to hold them tight.

cheap.. Plastic has its places, but NOT in radiators, intake manifolds and such...
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #23

when i replaced mine on my London aire the shop i brought it to was a bus shop..which i always take to along with lhalf the town.. they said i could put a new one as there part number or look for generic...they found one that was right sq inches and mounting good and hose in and out would work ...it cost $900 vs $2850 for other
Old 05-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #24

FWIW, PTR’s ( with aluminum cores ) are not “ cheaper” or inferior ... Yes they are less expensive to make...Radiator repair facilities declined in huge numbers as a result of these PTR’s lasting LONGER than traditional copper / brass radiators ( which came as a huge surprise to ALL in the radiator industry! ) Aluminum PTR’s also do not plug up internally like copper / brass radiators do and by design actually do a better job of cooling than traditional metal radiators...Yes, they fail as does everything eventually, but, the reason they are still here is durability!! Whoever says they are not repairable has never been in a real radiator repair facility, but again with labor & overhead costs it is usually LESS EXPENSIVE to simply replace rather then repair...I remember when batteries, starters, generators, motors, refrigerators, washing machines, etc were repaired... It is now the era of “ REPLACEMENT”... Ask NARSA.org if you don’t believe the above...

Tags
radiator