Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
POLL: Which radiator type

I need to replace the radiator in my side radiator Spartan. I have 2 choices I'm torn between the choices they are both from C,G&J radiator that has great respect from many members here. Cost aside which would you suggest? Thanks for your feedback.

1) an all aluminum radiator.

2) a copper/brass radiator
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Aluminum wins all day in every way... I’ve had some experience in the industry FWIW... Also, don’t get stuck on 1 manufacturer as sometimes 1 is making for others....Personally I would not want a COPPER/BRASS radiator... EVER!
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can a aluminum be repaired like a copper/brass radiator??
n5979u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a pretty good comparison.

https://www.cgj.com/2013/07/16/alumi...inal-thoughts/
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I have read that several times and both have their weak and strong points.
I am leaning towards the aluminum unit but was looking for guidance from those that have real world experience with rv cooling. If it were for my muscle car I know what my choice would be.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #6

4 what it's worth, I have a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mounting and using Cat ELC coolant with no problems. Replace 6 years ago plus close to 75% of the Country Coaches have had there radiators replace because of bad aluminum radiators.
Mine came from https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/products/motorhomes-rv/
installed by Quinn Cat in California.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
I need to replace the radiator in my side radiator Spartan. I have 2 choices I'm torn between the choices they are both from C,G&J radiator that has great respect from many members here. Cost aside which would you suggest? Thanks for your feedback.

1) an all aluminum radiator.

2) a copper/brass radiator
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5979u View Post
Can a aluminum be repaired like a copper/brass radiator??
To answer both of these with one answer. A short story. About 6 years ago, right after we purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, it developed a radiator leak. I couldn't actually see where it was coming from, there was just a puddle below it, every now and then. Well, I determined it wasn't any thing attached like hoses. It was in the structure part of the radiator.

So, out it came. It was the factory aluminum/plastic (tanks) radiator. What was leaking was the clamp area where the drivers side tank met the aluminum. It was completely rotted down there. Well, when I presented this condition to a very, very experienced radiator repair shop foreman, he laughed and said "junk". I said you're calling my $1,700 Freightliner radiator "Junk"? He said "yep".

He then pointed to a shelf in his shop. It was LOADED with aluminum radiators that he and his team were not able to repair. I said well, OK, I'll go back home and order up a new Freightliner radiator which, would take me about 14-21 days to get. He said: :Whoooooaaa, not fast"! He took some quick measurements and, he and I entered his office. He got onto the computer and, within one minute, he found an exact replacement, only it was COPPER/BRASS.

I asked him three quick questions.
1. What's the cost?
2. What kind of time frame to get it?
3. What's the cooling differences?

1. $1,200 vs $1,750
2. He could have it the NEXT MORNING!
3. ZERO COOLING DIFFERENCES. They both cool the same.

Guess what, that copper/brass radiator has been in our coach now for right at 6 years and cools flawlessly. I'd go with another one in heartbeat.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Piper Pilot, yes aluminum is very repairable... 2 Stroker - reason why those radiators failed was due to a design failure by the Sacramento, CA manufacturers... Which was fixed YEARS ago...Think about this: you cannot get a copper brass radiator in any production car made! And if you get a Peterbilt, KW, Volvo, Cat, etc today you’re gonna most likely get Aluminum ; a very good reason for this! And all your CAC’s are made of aluminum also... And I also know that we all have our own opinions as to what is best and that’s OK with me...
Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #9

I wondered if newer MHs had the plastic tank aluminum clamp type radiators and it sounds like they do. IMHO, with info coming from a local radiator shop, the weak point on AL rads of that type are the aluminum tabs that hold the plastic tank in place. Removing the tank to repair a leak there requires bending the aluminum tabs holding it in place. They asked me, how many times did I think those tabs would flex before breaking or becoming unreliable? That was a pretty easy question to answer in my mind, I prefer solder and copper.

Always willing to learn I would ask, what is wrong with a copper brass radiator?

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

Nothing wrong with copper brass, IF that’s YOUR choice... Have been 2nd ( now 3rd generation) in the business, MY choice would be PTR ( Plastic Tank Radiator ) or all aluminum... Think about this for a minute: Why do all car manufacturers use PTR’s? And why did the radiator shop population decline in HUGE numbers after the introduction of *aluminum* PTR’s? Interesting fact is that 1st PTR’s had copper / brass cores that lasted about as long as a cold beer on a hot day...But please remember that we’re all different & have different wants, likes, desires & opinions... If you’re wanting copper brass I’m happy for you... Me, PTR...
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
Why do all car manufacturers use PTR’s? And why did the radiator shop population decline in HUGE numbers after the introduction of *aluminum* PTR’s? Interesting fact is that 1st PTR’s had copper / brass cores that lasted about as long as a cold beer on a hot day...But please remember that we’re all different & have different wants, likes, desires & opinions... If you’re wanting copper brass I’m happy for you... Me, PTR...
The manufacturers went to plastic tanks and aluminum cores because it was lighter and every ounce counts when you're trying to meet government fuel mileage standards.
Doesn't mean it's better.
And the radiator repair shops disappeared because the new radiators were disposable and not worth repairing.
I am not in the radiator business but I deal with 1000 gallon tanks under vacuum and pressure. We have a lot more corrosion problems with the aluminum tanks than we do with carbon steel tanks.
Furthermore, aluminum expands and contracts more with temperature change than steel, brass or copper.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #12

cabby.... ONE of SEVERAL reasons why manufacturers switched to aluminum PTR’s is weight savings... Not the sole reason... Environmental concerns about lead in radiators was another... Cost of materials another ( check the price of 1 pound/amount of aluminum against 1 pound/amount of copper brass )... Production costs another... Technical improvements another... Times change....
Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine was replaced with copper/brass some time ago. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
Nothing wrong with copper brass, IF that’s YOUR choice... Have been 2nd ( now 3rd generation) in the business, MY choice would be PTR ( Plastic Tank Radiator ) or all aluminum... Think about this for a minute: Why do all car manufacturers use PTR’s? And why did the radiator shop population decline in HUGE numbers after the introduction of *aluminum* PTR’s? Interesting fact is that 1st PTR’s had copper / brass cores that lasted about as long as a cold beer on a hot day...But please remember that we’re all different & have different wants, likes, desires & opinions... If you’re wanting copper brass I’m happy for you... Me, PTR...
Do you see an advantage to PTR over an all aluminum welded tank radiator?

Tags
radiator