Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Make a lot of noise at the dealer and they should fix some of those problems for you. After that, sell it and move on. As others said, never buy an RV sight unseen and make sure to operate absolutely everything prior to handing over the money. Good luck and don't let this hiccup ruin your future good times in an Rv.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #16

Wouldn't do much good unless you got a SIGHT of the RV itself not the SITE where it's parked.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
And if you insist on buying a rig sight unseen, please do yourself a favor and hire an independent RV inspector to look it over.

RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America!
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is proof positive that it pays to have a professional inspect anything used. I have been Rving for 20 years and owned 3 RVs. 2 new last one used. There are companies out there that will do a through inspection on a prospective purchase for a price and it is well worth the cost. Me, I just tell the salesman or owner to give me a couple of hours with the rig. I put on my coveralls get out my creeper and with note pad and pen in hand away I go. I bought my current rig for 70k. I had to put 15k into it to make it livable and road worthy but the PO was asking 90k (this coach wholesale booked for 86K retailed for 115K). When I handed him the legal pad list of problems that was a page and a half long with my offer he didn't even put up a fight and took it. I'm fortunate, I'm a gear head and was also in the construction business for 35 years so I'm self sufficient. So with all that being said, pay someone to do a major inspection before you buy. When purchasing a large boat most people have (and insurance companies require) what is called a survey done before the purchase. It is done by an independent lic. knowledgeable person. So why not do the same thing with a Motorhome. It gives you great leverage with your purchase and protects you at the same time. There are great deals out there to be had. The #1 thing I will tell you about buying a boat/motorhome is DON'T BUY ON FLUFF and never believe a salesman. This gets people every time. Look beyond it. Happy Motorhoming.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #19

How could you possibly buy a coach sight-unseen? If you had inspected this coach BEFORE you bought it, you wouldn't be in this situation.

I cannot understand how anyone could make a major purchase like this without knowing exactly what you are buying!
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #20

Caveat Emptor .... you're stuck with it. If you b!tch about it loud enough, maybe the dealer will pony up for some repairs.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes hind sight is always 20/20. You have been hearing what you should not have done and all will agree. The dealer should be forced to accept some of the blame for selling the unit with known issues. Because of the, "Buy As Is" clause it will be a little more difficult but it is worth getting a decent lawyer, if you can find one.

Spend some $$$$, get it inspected. The mold issue probably started a while ago and can be a real dealer breaker. Many homes have been torn down because of mold causing serious sickness and even death. That's where I'd go with it. A lawsuitalledging that they sold a unit that could/would cause sickness is $$$$$ in the bank if handled correctly. That's not a ruse either but the truth. That issue alone should make them set up, take notice and do what's right. The mechanical stuff they can say you broke but the water leaking in causing the mold can be somewhat time related. It takes time for the mold to grow and spread.

I've read several of these horror threads before and it does bother me. Most all of us work very hard to achieve some financial independence as we get into the, "Golden Years." Lets look back. What did we do when we got our first house? How much did we look into that large expense before we dove in??? They have inspectors to deal with that stuff and there are inspectors available for RV's as well. When we get older we should be a lot smarter. We didn't really research our first house but we were young and foolish. When we got to buying a MH for 100,000$$$ +++ dollars you bet we did. We got smarter. In all fairness I am a licensed automotive technician and retired instructor so I do have an advantage. Had you checked on this sight before the purchase, instead of now when the damage is done, you would have gotten good advice to perhaps avoid what happened. Any search on the net would have gotten you similar advice. Most all of us know that private airplanes, boats, and MH's are bad investments, and can be $$$$$ pits, even under the best of times and circumstances. We never purchased any RV (five) thinking we were going to save $$$$$ In fact we knew it would cost us a lot of $$$$. But we like the life style and we did it.

Best of luck with your problem.

TeJay
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #22

I'm glad I have spent a year doing my research. I never cease to be amazed.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
How could you possibly buy a coach sight-unseen? If you had inspected this coach BEFORE you bought it, you wouldn't be in this situation.

I cannot understand how anyone could make a major purchase like this without knowing exactly what you are buying!

Be nice, Rich. You aren't telling them anything they haven't already told the mirror a thousand times.

BTW, I've bought and sold things that way, and it comes down to whether a seller is honorable. Private parties generally are, and used-vehicle salesmen are working for commission based on whether they can talk somebody into buying. Do the math.

In any case, there are far too many systems in a motorhome. If I buy one, it will be by my travelling to personally inspect the unit. Too bad that the OPs are too trusting...I feel very bad for them.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From what I gather they had the coach and used it for a time then after setting they found these problems Seems like the mold happened on his watch.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #25

Such stories are really sad. I tell anyone who asks me to figure on an extra 20% of the purchase price and a year of effort to find and fix problems when the unit seems perfect upon purchase. I also suggest every newbie buy the best old unit they can find as cheaply as possible and live with it for a year, then sell or trade for what they want-just so they learn at the lowest possible cost. You really have to study hard to learn about tire date codes, resealing roofs, refrigerator problems, and on and on. Also you learn what you really want and need that way.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #26

1st) an introduction. We are Jim & Cathy from Glendale Arizona. We've owned a 1983 23 ft travel trailer for several years but never a motor home. We are both disabled so money is a major concern.
2nd) we recently purchased a 1988 skyline lindy, 20 footer on a ford chasis from a private party. This is where I can sympathize with your situation. It was much nicer looking in the picture and listed as an 89. No coach battery so another interested party was trying to power it with jumper cables from his truck. Some lights came on but no generator or a/c. Let it idle for awhile then took it for a test drive and it seemed a little sluggish for a 460 but no smoke out the tail pipe and no oil film either. Now, in the past I was the "go to" guy for family & friends when a vehicle needed to be checked out. But since I got hurt/disabled I am very limited on what I can do. Checked fluids, brakes, lights (some problems noted), etc. I could also tell that it had been sitting for quite awhile. Long story short; "flippers are a common problem here in the valley. I used to do it too when I had a little shop at my house but was always honest about what I sold. But it seems the flippers here on the most part are dishonest and lie about the vehicle. I bought it and got about 2 blocks away when it started to run rough, white smoke was pouring out the tailpipe and I barely made the 10 miles home and it died and wouldn't restart as I parked it and it has sat here since. There is a short somewhere in the coach lighting, I think the in tank low pressure fuel pump is out, got a new rv battery but not sure of how/which cables need to be hooked up and unable to check out the generator. Hooked to shore power (extension cord from house) I have no roof a/c. The tires have about 95 - 98% rubber but are 10 years old, which was another clue that it has sat for a long time. Found other misc. items needing repair. I'm stuck.
Moral to my story and how it affects all of us is that it is up to the potential buyer to check out the vehicle ourselves and it is on us if we buy it sight unseen, take the sellers word on every/anything and then find out we bought a lemon. We have no one else to blame but ourselves. I don't mean for it to sound harsh but that is reality. I am stuck and can't afford shop rates and can't do very many repairs myself so for now it sits, but I blame no one but myself.
jeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #27

To TomBr,

"I tell anyone who asks me to figure on an extra 20% of the purchase price and a year of effort to find and fix problems when the unit seems perfect upon purchase."

I think that is pretty good advice. However, I do think that if you spend a year studying and researching motorhomes and learning vicariously via forums, that you can learn quite a bit more than some experienced rvers have learned who spent a significant amount of that time enjoying the rv experience. If I'm later proved to be wrong, I will happily fall on my rear end.

"I also suggest every newbie buy the best old unit they can find as cheaply as possible and live with it for a year... Also you learn what you really want and need that way."

I think that is good advice, but also not the only way to do things. Again, if I'm wrong I will happily....

I'm in the process of getting my rv technician certification with an electrical specialty, and a Rv Inspectors certification. I suspect I will be able, with a good mechanic, to do a good job evaluating my prospective used motorhome.

And my wife and I plan to rent a bit to add some practical experiences to my vicarious experiences and thoughts on expected usage.

However...best laid plans are always a risk as is ownership. Sometimes our needs change beyond what we can forecast.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #28

I say be vocal and get your story out. If nothing else it warns other buyers to avoid these dealers. I disagree that buying from a dealer should be a buyer beware situation (within reason). That's why many pay more for the service of a dealer vs a private sell. A good dealer gets premium as an expert opinion and a product professionally evaluated. They trade in at a lower value and sell at retail so the margin pays for needed repairs to bring the units up to good condition. A salesman is supposed to be serving his customer. Maybe Im just old fashioned, but I say hold professionals accountable for the service you are paying them for.
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote