Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #1

Poor manufacturing 2022 Fleetwood Bounder

Anyone else seeing these issues?
We recently purchased a brand new Fleetwood Bounder. We have since found many issues than can only be attributed to poor manufacturing practices.
Here are some of the things.
1. 1 inch size chunks of laminate flooring found in the plumbing after it clogged the grey water drain valve.
2. Water pump shutoff pressure not properly calibrated resulting in water pulsing. A quick adjustment fixed the issue.
3. Pocket door track latch screw not fully set resulting in the door not closing properly.
4. Body trim piece on the slide had all three sheet metal screws over tightened and they fell out after driving. Almost lost the panel that covers the slide track.
5. Macerating toilets not holding water. Found the plumbing was routed in a way that the inline check valve which determines water level was laying on the floor instead of being upright.
6. Heater vent cover not fully installed.
7. Roof A/C making noise. The unit was over tighten to a point it bowed the frame and the fan than hit the shroud.
8. Bathroom vanity sink installed 2.5 inches back from sink resulting in water getting all over the counter when washing hands
9. Kitchen backsplash panel only held in by one screw
10. Interior trim missing exposing light coming in from the outside at the base of the slide

Not related to manufacturing practices but our samsung residential fridge had the compressor go out after we had the coach one day. Poor choice in fridge brands Fleetwood as this fridge has a reputation for failing.

Buyers be picky when taking delivery of your coach. Granted not everything was discovered at delivery bit its only been one month and we have dealt with all of this already.
HarryDupape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #2

Pretty typical. Hope you have better success getting it repaired. Mine sat for 6 months at Lazydays back in 2016. I finally took it out of that place and drove to Decatur, IN to the REV center. They did everything in less than three days.
Good luck!
Old 10-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #3

Hopefully, sooner or later quality competition will kick in with RVs just as it did with cars. Took foreign cars with vastly improved quality to get American car manufacturers to raise the bar. Or the other option is if you can’t make it right, then make it simpler. No reason you have to go back multiple times for something that should have been done right the first time. But as long as we keep buying them and there’s no serious competition, not much will change. I’ve purchased three new RVs in my life time and there will not be a fourth. Spent too many of my hard earned dollars watching my rv depreciate in a repair facility.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #4

From all that I've gathered, I'm hoping that sooner or later the industry in general will recover from the pandemic-related layoffs and subsequent quality issues because of poorly trained and inadequately experienced workforce.

All brand new RVs will have issues, granted, but it seems especially so with the ones made late in the pandemic period.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #5

Unfortunately that is normal! The Rv industry is the only industry that keeps making crap, because we keep buying it! LOL! The bad part is trying to get you warranty service done to fix all those issues. For me, the warranty is less than useless and I have just learned to fix all my own stuff. In fact, I use that argument to talk them down on price or if they start telling me how I need an extended service warranty! Yeah right, I want to pay you more money and you still won’t get me in for service! Last time I took my travel trailer to the dealer they ran a forklift through it! I avoid them like the plague! Good luck.
Patio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patio View Post
Unfortunately that is normal! The Rv industry is the only industry that keeps making crap, because we keep buying it! LOL! The bad part is trying to get you warranty service done to fix all those issues. For me, the warranty is less than useless and I have just learned to fix all my own stuff. In fact, I use that argument to talk them down on price or if they start telling me how I need an extended service warranty! Yeah right, I want to pay you more money and you still won’t get me in for service! Last time I took my travel trailer to the dealer they ran a forklift through it! I avoid them like the plague! Good luck.
Amen!
Old 10-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #7

The rv industry has always had qc issues. Remember this industry morphed from the mobile home industry in the 60's. Mobile homes in those days were slapped together. Just before Fleetwood was on it's way to bankruptcy they really tried hard to improve the quality. I toured the new mh plant in PA. It was amazing. All the PEX umbing lines were pre assembled. Only the staff that were trained by the mfr. Of the peg fittings could do that work. All the plumbing lines were pressure tested
Even the drain lines had to hold pressure. Both the 12 volt and 110 had strick test procedures. All the windows had a special tape applied to the body before instalation
Similar to roof sealing tape. The paint line was designed by the paint mfr. It was extremely long. They had motorized scaffolds on a track. The paint was mixed and stored in a separate bldg. Pipeline to the paint bldg. In 08 they introduced the new chassis on a Bounder at the Mpls. FMCA show. It was excellent. Made just like the American line. Fl front and rear clip with welded frame between. Amazing amount of storage. I only had a quick look at the interior. Flooring was a better quality. Cabinetry was improved but still not great. Unfortunately they soon went bankrupt. REV stopped using thar chassis. REV does not have a great reputation.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #8

Thanks all for the reply’s and support. I don’t feel so bad or alone.
I have repaired all these things myself including buying a new fridge and replaced it myself. The closest dealer is 4 hours away and doing it myself ensures its done right and i am not wasting time and resources taking it in for service. The new fridge cost me $2000 and it was still cheaper to go that route than the time and cost to take it to the dealer.
HarryDupape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDupape View Post
Anyone else seeing these issues?
We recently purchased a brand new Fleetwood Bounder. We have since found many issues than can only be attributed to poor manufacturing practices.
Here are some of the things.
1. 1 inch size chunks of laminate flooring found in the plumbing after it clogged the grey water drain valve.
2. Water pump shutoff pressure not properly calibrated resulting in water pulsing. A quick adjustment fixed the issue.
3. Pocket door track latch screw not fully set resulting in the door not closing properly.
4. Body trim piece on the slide had all three sheet metal screws over tightened and they fell out after driving. Almost lost the panel that covers the slide track.
5. Macerating toilets not holding water. Found the plumbing was routed in a way that the inline check valve which determines water level was laying on the floor instead of being upright.
6. Heater vent cover not fully installed.
7. Roof A/C making noise. The unit was over tighten to a point it bowed the frame and the fan than hit the shroud.
8. Bathroom vanity sink installed 2.5 inches back from sink resulting in water getting all over the counter when washing hands
9. Kitchen backsplash panel only held in by one screw
10. Interior trim missing exposing light coming in from the outside at the base of the slide

Not related to manufacturing practices but our samsung residential fridge had the compressor go out after we had the coach one day. Poor choice in fridge brands Fleetwood as this fridge has a reputation for failing.

Buyers be picky when taking delivery of your coach. Granted not everything was discovered at delivery bit its only been one month and we have dealt with all of this already.
This list is not bad, set up an appointment at the factory service center in Indiana, I’m sure they can fix everything in less than 5 days. All under warranty.
Just wait till you buy a new RV and you have a list 43 items long.
Oh, the factory did it all in 5 days.
Perfect. Most manufacturers will do it.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patio View Post
I agree. I won't buy a new RV. I am much more comfortable buying a used RV because hopefully all or most of the issues have been resolved. Just my opinion.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #11

I have seen a couple on YouTube having problem with theirs but they all of have some kind of issue, we have a 2022 Precept, we love it but I have to take it in for warranty work.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
Hopefully, sooner or later quality competition will kick in with RVs just as it did with cars. Took foreign cars with vastly improved quality to get American car manufacturers to raise the bar. Or the other option is if you can’t make it right, then make it simpler. No reason you have to go back multiple times for something that should have been done right the first time. But as long as we keep buying them and there’s no serious competition, not much will change. I’ve purchased three new RVs in my life time and there will not be a fourth. Spent too many of my hard earned dollars watching my rv depreciate in a repair facility.
This^^^^ I have a list of serious problems with mine over the years that would astound you. The latest is delamination caused by adhesive failure (not moisture...adhesive failure!). This on a motorhome that is kept plugged in to 50 amp service in covered storage. The cost to repair will be in the thousands. Rest assured that you are not alone.
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
Community Moderator

We have had 2 serious warranty claims on our rig, that Heartland covered. But Heartland sent it to a private repair facility for the work. Which has worked out great for us in the long run. We now use the repair place as our go to repair spot for work.
We generally make an appointment and stop in once a year for things I need assistance with repairing or yearly maintenance requirements.
Since we full time, if we need repairs, I will use a mobile technician if I need assistance.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
I agree. I won't buy a new RV. I am much more comfortable buying a used RV because hopefully all or most of the issues have been resolved. Just my opinion.

...the issues have been solved or it was traded in because the owner got tired of dealing with the issues. Dealers will not invest in repairs on a unit in stock until it gets sold to the next owner...

Tags
fleetwood