Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefrack View Post
A "little" starter pack is exactly what I'm trying to avoid buying, but I didn't think trying to jump it off my car was a good idea... it just seemed like it'd be too big a draw on an automotive alternator / battery.

That was just an uneducated guess on my part, though. Anyone else think jumping it off my car would be ok?

Thanks for the input Kiawah
as long as you use good quality jumper cables and run the car at about 1500 rpm you should be fine
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #16

I vote for jumping off car. Get generator running.

I think if you need to run the generator every day to keep the batteries charged, there shot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #17

If you have roadside assistance, they should get you started.. just saying
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the Costco Jump Start to start my generator and then used the boost switch to start the RV. Couldn't get my car close enough to the RV batteries to jump it.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #19

Quote:
A "little" starter pack is exactly what I'm trying to avoid buying, but I didn't think trying to jump it off my car was a good idea... it just seemed like it'd be too big a draw on an automotive alternator / battery.

That was just an uneducated guess on my part, though. Anyone else think jumping it off my car would be ok?

Thanks for the input Kiawah
I don't know what your towed is, but if it is less than a decade old, it probably has a 200 Amp alternator. That should do just fine. If you are worried, leave the car running long enough to bring at least one bank up to a starting point.

The other thing you should do is figure out where to hook a jumper cable to the Onan (APU) so as to crank it up with as little other load as possible. Ships (What I did for years) always have No Power - Cold Start plan. It sounds like you should too.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know enough about your situation to give a recommendation.

If this was my coach, if I had time and electricity......I'd put a charger on each battery bank, and let them bring the voltage up in a reasonable timeframe.

I suspect you're out boondocking somewhere though, if you are having to run a generator. So if that's the case, I'd use my truck to jumper the chassis batteries (the smaller of the two banks), and let the truck run awhile to charge up the battery some before trying to start the engine.

Once the coach engine is running, it will start to charge both the chassis battery and the house battery. I'd let that run for a bit at high idle, then start the genny to get the converter charging.

I don't know how your particular year/model charges (or trickle maintains) the chassis batteries from shorepower/genny....if you turn your engine off. That will determine how you get your chassis batteries up. If the converter does it with like an amp-l-start, then great. Otherwise if you had a charger you could plug that in to your genny 120 power, and use the charger to bring your chassis batteries up.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
I don't know what your towed is, but if it is less than a decade old, it probably has a 200 Amp alternator. That should do just fine. If you are worried, leave the car running long enough to bring at least one bank up to a starting point.

The other thing you should do is figure out where to hook a jumper cable to the Onan (APU) so as to crank it up with as little other load as possible. Ships (What I did for years) always have No Power - Cold Start plan. It sounds like you should too.

Frank
toads do not have 200 amp alternators
Old 12-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
Specs on my 2013 Ford Edge suggest it's 175 amp... close enough?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Yep, that's the one I have saved in my Amazon shopping cart... just looking for confirmation that 1700 peak amps is enough to crank the genny and glow the plugs at the same time before I buy it

Thanks!

I think it would have no problem starting the generator.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
Hah, true. He may have meant to say 100 Amp. ...unless the toad is a Dodge 3500 pickup (yes, they are towable but I'm not towing mine) with the optional 220 Amp alternator or one with dual alternators.

However, he does make a good point about about making the connections to isolate the draw. I have heard that the positive connection should be at the generator's red 12v bolt and the negative to the chassis. I've never tried it but it makes sense.

And you make a good point that the jumper cables should be quality ones, 1-2 gauge?, and not the cheap thin (8 gauge?) cables.

Again, I'll defer to the experts to clarify.

ETA: oh, 175 amp on a Ford Edge is a hefty one. Maybe the newer cars are getting close to 200 amps nowadays.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #25

Iam sure there are exceptions to evey rule ;;just overall toads in general don't have 200 amp alternaters
I personally have almost always jumpered off the positive battery cable and ground sometimes I will ground to the engine
Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Hah, true. He may have meant to say 100 Amp. ...unless the toad is a Dodge 3500 pickup (yes, they are towable but I'm not towing mine) with the optional 220 Amp alternator or one with dual alternators.

ETA: oh, 175 amp on a Ford Edge is a hefty one. Maybe the newer cars are getting close to 200 amps nowadays.
To clarify... I just looked up a replacement part and that was the rating on it. Don't know yet if that's the size mine came with.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Specs on my 2013 Ford Edge suggest it's 175 amp... close enough?
hundreds of thousands of different toads out there 200amp alternater is certainly possible most all are not that's all I said
mine is a 2012 4x4 suv and its a 80 amp
Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #28

I'm interested in what size portable charger would be best also. My son got one for me at Christmas last year and I've been wondering every since if it would be adequate. It would seem to me that, as someone already said, a dead battery would just absorb the charge, but what do I know.

If nothing else, I could have helped two other travelers last Summer if I had only put the portable charger or jumpers in the MH before leaving home. It was our first trip in this MH and I didn't have all the normal traveling equipment aboard.

Our alternator failed on the way back to OR from WV last Summer and I was thankful for a working switch that used the house batteries to start the engine several times before replacing the alternator at my sisters in AL.

I'm with others who suggest getting the batteries charged asap, determining if they are good batteries, and if so what is draining them.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter