Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm interested in what size portable charger would be best also.

They aren't "chargers"... they will provide temporary power to crank the engine. What size engine do you want to start?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If your car battery is a decent size, not one of those tiny ones, it should start it, with good jumpers.

We bought a charger on wheels that we carry in one of the storage bays, similar to this (different brand/model, similar features), for around $100 and I LOVE it. Got the one with the Engine Start boost, and glad I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE...rger+on+wheels
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #31

If you have power to plug in a portable 120 volt charger, why not plug in the shore cord and use the one built into the MH ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you have power to plug in a portable 120 volt charger, why not plug in the shore cord and use the one built into the MH ?
Couple potential problems with that idea.
- plugging in the motorhome would indeed provide power to the converter/inverter. Depending upon the converter, if the battery voltage is too low it wont turn on the converter to charge. So not knowing either the voltage the batteries are at, or the type/model of converter and minimum charge voltage....don't know if this would work.
- If the converter works as per above, the converter would charge the 'house' batteries. It's not been identified how his chassis batteries get charged/maintained (other than obviously the engine alternator). As mentioned before could be no charger, trickle only, amp-l-start, ???

One way or the other, need to get something charging the chassis batteries to start the engine.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
They aren't "chargers"... they will provide temporary power to crank the engine. What size engine do you want to start?

And I stand corrected, it was poorly expressed on my part. It's more like a battery that connects as jumper cables would. I've seen my son use his, but that was a while ago. His worked fine on a Concours MC and Geo Metro, but they're pretty small.

Now that I'm thinking, I could just look at the thing to see how many CCA it is capable of and check the manual to see what it takes for the 454, duh.

Thanks for the reality check.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Racklefrack".......I know your post is about a jumper pack, but here is some info as to why you're having issues.

Right about the model year of your coach, chassis batteries didn't get charged while the generator was running or plugged into shore power. Somewhere around 2005 or 2006, many companies added what is called a "B.I.R.D." system that charged both your house batteries and chassis batteries when plugged in or the generator was running.

Your chassis batteries are being drawn down by parasitic loads when you're parked for a period of time. Things like the ECM, TCM, dash radio and other items constantly draw power to keep their memories working.

The solution.......There are three companies that make a simple charger you connect (three wires) between the house batteries and chassis batteries. These chargers, Trik-L-Start, Zantrex and Magnum will charge your chassis batteries every time you run the generator or plug into shore power. Adding one of these chargers will most likely eliminate your need for the jumper. Having a good set of long jumper cables would probably be the only thing you really need for any future emergencies.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Couple potential problems with that idea.
- plugging in the motorhome would indeed provide power to the converter/inverter. Depending upon the converter, if the battery voltage is too low it wont turn on the converter to charge. So not knowing either the voltage the batteries are at, or the type/model of converter and minimum charge voltage....don't know if this would work.
- If the converter works as per above, the converter would charge the 'house' batteries. It's not been identified how his chassis batteries get charged/maintained (other than obviously the engine alternator). As mentioned before could be no charger, trickle only, amp-l-start, ???

One way or the other, need to get something charging the chassis batteries to start the engine.
Potential problem #1, I agree, although not worth carrying a large portable battery charger.

Potential problem #2, just push and hold the boost switch or carry jumper cables to use from house to chassis. Jumpers could also be used to overcome problem #1, if any 12 volt vehicle are around.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Two options other the getting new battery bank for power.
If you can get to the rear of the Gen for power use jumper cables to start Gen, disconnect house bank so you just power gen and start Gen then turn on house bank. At this point you still may have a problem, the converter may not charge. Might be able to start Gen this way with battery pack but the glow plugs might drain too much.
Jump the chassis bank for 20 minutes from towed to put surface charge on and start main motor. After a few minutes start Gen.

LEN
Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #37

Jumper
Cables!
Got car?

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years I have owned several

1: a 1,000 peak amps job, all it did was jump start and 12 volt accessory outlet, NO light, No air compressor, No _____ just jump start.. loved it, best one I ever owned We jump started TOW TRUCKS with this puppy.

600 Amp: This one also had a light, Good flashlight, Good for 12 volt accessory stuff.. Would not jump start a motor cycle. No good for jumping.

The one I have now did not start my car (Other hardware did, I believe in options). But like the last is great for 12 volt accessory stuff.

Also most of the ones we put on the tow trucks were in the 900 peak amp range.. They worked well.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
If your car battery is a decent size, not one of those tiny ones, it should start it, with good jumpers.

We bought a charger on wheels that we carry in one of the storage bays, similar to this (different brand/model, similar features), for around $100 and I LOVE it. Got the one with the Engine Start boost, and glad I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE...rger+on+wheels
I bought a heavy duty (2 gauge) set of 20' jumper cables from Amazon... they'll arrive tomorrow and I'll try jumping it from my car. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Racklefrack".......I know your post is about a jumper pack, but here is some info as to why you're having issues.

Right about the model year of your coach, chassis batteries didn't get charged while the generator was running or plugged into shore power. Somewhere around 2005 or 2006, many companies added what is called a "B.I.R.D." system that charged both your house batteries and chassis batteries when plugged in or the generator was running.

Your chassis batteries are being drawn down by parasitic loads when you're parked for a period of time. Things like the ECM, TCM, dash radio and other items constantly draw power to keep their memories working.

The solution.......There are three companies that make a simple charger you connect (three wires) between the house batteries and chassis batteries. These chargers, Trik-L-Start, Zantrex and Magnum will charge your chassis batteries every time you run the generator or plug into shore power. Adding one of these chargers will most likely eliminate your need for the jumper. Having a good set of long jumper cables would probably be the only thing you really need for any future emergencies.

Yeah, normally I disconnect the chassis batts at the main switch when I have it parked for a while. But... I didn't know that my year rig possiby doesn't charge the chassis batts from the genny or shore power. It would explain the issue so I'll have to confirm that once I get her running.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 12-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I don't have access to shore power, I can't move the rig and... what everyone else said
Old 12-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Two options other the getting new battery bank for power.
If you can get to the rear of the Gen for power use jumper cables to start Gen, disconnect house bank so you just power gen and start Gen then turn on house bank. At this point you still may have a problem, the converter may not charge. Might be able to start Gen this way with battery pack but the glow plugs might drain too much.
Jump the chassis bank for 20 minutes from towed to put surface charge on and start main motor. After a few minutes start Gen.

LEN
Len, thank you! This is exactly what I have planned... jump start the engine from my car, 20-30 minutes running the engine on fast idle, then start the genny and charge up everything else.

I'll also be checking to see if the genny charges the chassis batts. I always assumed it did, but now we're not so sure.

Thanks!

Tags
starter