Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Portable Air Compressor Advice

I have a new Winnebago Sunstar 32M. Two on board tools i need to add are a portable air compressor, to maintain tire pressure; and a battery jump pack, to start vehicles with worn down batteries.

The most referenced a compressor is VIAIR 400P. There are numerous battery jump packs with prices all over the map. There are also combination units, like the the VIKING 1700 Amp Portable Jump Starter 250 PSI Air Compressor, sold at Harbor Freight.
I would like some community advice. What has been your experience with this equipment and what are your recommendations?
Peso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #2
NXR

Pressure doesn't mean anything without CFM, how many cubic feet per minute of air the compressor can deliver. That Harbor Freight unit has no CFM rating either in the ad or in the linked manual.

What size tires does your RV have? How much larger are they (or not) from a car or a pickup truck? The larger the tires the more CFM you'll need.

A low CFM compressor will take a long time to fill a large tire, particularly at the higher pressures. That causes the compressor to run longer and it may overheat as it exceeds its design duty cycle.

Ray
Old 08-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #3

I use a little 28lb California Air all aluminum and super quiet. 285 22.5 tires. Takes a few minutes for each tire if they are down 20 lbs. The only drawback is it shuts off at 130 psi so keeping it running takes a bit of practice, it can outrun the tires fill rate and shut off.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #4

I went with the ViAir 450P-RVS Kit. It goes up to 150psi with 100% Duty Cycle. Great Setup. And on mine the Air Intake is Metal (some previous versions were plastic).

Then I added a JACO Lightning Tire Air Chuck to make hooking up a Hands Free Breeze. You can use a velcro strap or zip tie to make things even easier.

ViAir 450P-RVS: https://www.viaircorp.com/rvs-portables/450p-rvs
JACO Lightning Chuck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

I recently bought one of these. I've been using it for a construction project on the house and it's been working fine. Keep in mind, it's not like you're filling your tires from zero. You just topping your tires off and maybe airbags if you have them. I honestly don't know why someone would spend so much money on that other system and then have to hook it up to a battery Etc... something like this in one of the storage Bays plugged into 120 volt power supply and a long air line is all you need.

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-hotdog-air-compressor-57572.html
fullmoonguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
I have a new Winnebago Sunstar 32M. Two on board tools i need to add are a portable air compressor, to maintain tire pressure; and a battery jump pack, to start vehicles with worn down batteries.

The most referenced a compressor is VIAIR 400P. There are numerous battery jump packs with prices all over the map. There are also combination units, like the the VIKING 1700 Amp Portable Jump Starter 250 PSI Air Compressor, sold at Harbor Freight.
I would like some community advice. What has been your experience with this equipment and what are your recommendations?
Since you have 19.5 tires, If you can live with 100psi you can get by on the cheap with one of these.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...5570963&ipos=1

I carried one like that for years on my gasser with 19.5 tires. I had tire I fought with for 5 years. Sometimes it would go weeks and sometimes overnight it would go down to 20 pounds. What I would do is start the compressor, let it come up and shut off, use a clamp on type chuck, it would restart, fill to 100psi (you actually can get about 105 out of it) and when it shut off again I knew my tire was full.

If you feel the need to step it up a bit, you can still get by pretty cheap.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...5570963&ipos=9

It's not like you are going to use it a ton.

As far as jump boxes/air compressor combo units, they really don't have enough power to pump RV tires, and not really to do not have enough if you have a really dead battery.

A 1,000 amp unit from NAPA would be a better choice.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_J...&gclsrc=aw.ds&
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #7

This setup works great. Compressor also has enough air to blow off shoes, side by side, etc.

SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 AM   #8

I decided to go with a Porter Cable compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked well and it's footprint isn't too large.

I carry a battery charger although I also have a portable charger, but it's easy to forget to keep it charged.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This what I purchased from HD. They periodically have it on sale for $99.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...50HB/303379052

I then went to HF and purchased the following which I put on a slip mount near the compressor. Cost @$70

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...a=MXxOfDB8WXww

After adding the necessary fittings, it works great. Don't have to run the motorhome to air up the tanks and when not on shore power, I just run the generator.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would go with the VIAIR 450RV instead of the 400. It has a 100% duty cycle!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, air, compressor