Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqueb View Post
I'm just thinking with new technology, maybe there are portable air conditioners ( I'm not talking about window units)

Towers can be very efficient?

I have plenty space inside, and I don't like the roof units they're not aerodynamic, an 80 mph you can produce a lot of horse drag negative, like mirrors, I use cameras, those big mirrors is like speed brakes on jet planes.

I know those air condition units are all made in China, but I want to know if anybody has a good experience in one of those.

And I'm planning to use as a dehumidifier too, and get myself free of the weight on the top and drag and leaks and a lot of energy to power both air conditions.

Probably there is a subject for another discussion, but if I do plug those air conditions in my outlets maybe the wiring is not a strong enough to handle, can I use the microwave wiringand off course the microwave will be shut off when I use the air condition.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong I'm very new in this business and definitely I'm not a electrician.

Thank you!!
Had a Newell with basement air, nothing on the roof except one skylight over shower and two vents, 7.4 miles to the gallon not much different than the Newells with four rooftop units.
You should be good with any 120 volt portable air conditioner, they are meant to work on a household 15 amp circuit which is what you probably have already, and you will have to look at your loads especially at a 30 amp receptacle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm just thinking with new technology, maybe there are portable air conditioners ( I'm not talking about window units)

I have plenty space inside, and I don't like the roof units they're not aerodynamic, an 80 mph you can produce a lot of horse drag negative, like mirrors, I use cameras, those big mirrors is like speed brakes on jet planes.

I know those air condition units are all made in China, but I want to know if anybody has a good experience in one of those.

And I'm planning to use as a dehumidifier too, and get myself free of the weight on the top and drag and leaks and a lot of energy to power both air conditions.

Probably there is a subject for another discussion, but if I do plug those air conditions in my outlets maybe the wiring is not a strong enough to handle, can I use the microwave wiringand off course the microwave will be shut off when I use the air condition.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong I'm very new in this business and definitely I'm not a electrician.

Thank you!!

Be prepared for a lot of questions as to why you feel the need to do 80 mph in a motorhome.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thank you!!

Be prepared for a lot of questions as to why you feel the need to drive 80 mph in your motorhome.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We lived in our coach in the az summer this year and the roof top units did not cut it. I purchased one of these from Costco.

https://www.forestair.ca/en/fiche-produit-mini

It did solve the problem and when it started to cool down cooled the front of the coach all by itself.

The biggest issue I had is that I don’t think it could turn the air over fast enough. A bigger inside unit would have been great. Other than that the size of the unit is perfect for a rv mini split conversion.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #19

Are you saying an 8000 btu unit cooled better then( 2 ) 13000 btu units?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The unit from Costco is advertised as 10k and yes the was better than one 15k in the front.

It did not cool the entire coach.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
My units are 19 years old and are ducted. So I don’t believe we are still getting all 15k. I can say the air coming out of the mini was much colder than the roof units just not as much air.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #22

You're right nobody!!!
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #23

You're right, nobody!!!
Sorry just a dumb comment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201029-062718.png
Views:	33
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	306331  
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #24

80 MPH is the maximum speed, not a requirement.

You could do some aerodynamic engeenering up on the roof.

With portable AC units scattered about, I'd be worried about them becoming projectiles in the unlikely chance of a crash.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
The unit from Costco is advertised as 10k and yes the was better than one 15k in the front.

It did not cool the entire coach.
If your ac units have the dump feature on them you will likely get more cold air And a greater amount by opening them rather then relying on the ceiling ducting. Did you take a temperature check of the air entering at the filter versus the air temperature as it comes out of the supply? It should be around 21 degrees differential or the unit is not cooling properly.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
They do not have dump and the air is 26 deg different.

The air from the mini mini-split was 45 deg deference or more
Old 10-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #27

Quote:
They do not have dump and the air is 26 deg different.

The air from the mini mini-split was 45 deg deference or more
If the TD is 45 degrees or more the supply air would be 30 degrees or less With a return air of 75 degrees ! This would be way too cold to be comfortable in a living area if there were a fair amount of circulating air. The 26 deg air your 15k is supplying is actually too much indicating your supply air is restricted . The industry standard is 18 to 21 degrees TD with 21 being ideal. Only the dash air is generally greater amounts of TD. If your mini is putting out that cold an air it must feel like a walk in box I’d be afraid it would ice up when the space temperature is in the mid 70s . When taking these temperature readings you should use the same thermometer for better accuracy.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #28
Cat

Quote:
We lived in our coach in the az summer this year and the roof top units did not cut it. I purchased one of these from Costco.

https://www.forestair.ca/en/fiche-produit-mini

It did solve the problem and when it started to cool down cooled the front of the coach all by itself.

The biggest issue I had is that I don’t think it could turn the air over fast enough. A bigger inside unit would have been great. Other than that the size of the unit is perfect for a rv mini split conversion.
Wow thats pretty cool. I would gone this way if I saw it several years ago.
I bought a portable with the 2 hose thats the only way to go - 2 hose it worked well. But again if the one above had been available I sure would have gotten it.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner