RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #1

Portable air conditioner, anything good ?

I'm just thinking with new technology, maybe there are portable air conditioners ( I'm not talking about window units)

Towers can be very efficient?

I have plenty space inside, and I don't like the roof units they're not aerodynamic, an 80 mph you can produce a lot of horse drag negative, like mirrors, I use cameras, those big mirrors is like speed brakes on jet planes.

I know those air condition units are all made in China, but I want to know if anybody has a good experience in one of those.

And I'm planning to use as a dehumidifier too, and get myself free of the weight on the top and drag and leaks and a lot of energy to power both air conditions.

Probably there is a subject for another discussion, but if I do plug those air conditions in my outlets maybe the wiring is not a strong enough to handle, can I use the microwave wiringand off course the microwave will be shut off when I use the air condition.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong I'm very new in this business and definitely I'm not a electrician.

Thank you!!
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

I bought this unit from Lowes.

Still needs to vent outside (they all do).

We bought it because our 2 existing roof units were struggling with our Florida heat. So far, works great.

I added a 20A power outlet off the electric fire circuit for it as it's a dedicated circuit and we're not going to be running fire and AC at the same time. It also alleviates the problem of having to turn other stuff off to run it.

We can run 3 A/Cs, microwave and toaster oven at the same time.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Units are out there but they must be as earlier stated outside vented.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

Trouble with the single hose model is that it sucks air from inside coach and creates a negative air pressure inside as opposed to outside, so when you open door, hot air from outside is sucked in. If you must go will portable units, go with the dual hose models.
https://www.eliteheatingandac.com/bl...-conditioners/
My thoughts on efficiency is mini-split first, rooftop second, and portable units third.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #5

You're driving a large box down the road, and you're worried about the small amount of drag a roof AC unit will cause?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #6

I have one, I think it is 12,000 btu or so double hose model that I bought cheap (dent and ding sale) about 12 years ago, we have used it a handful of times over the years when our central air conditioner has broken, loaned it out to friends and relatives for the same sort of use. (living in south Louisiana air conditioning is life support in the summer, and when the central air goes out and one has to wait 3-4 days for a repairman, anything is better than nothing). Overall I am mostly happy with it, except when it shuts down on the water tray being full, it is designed to evaporate the water out of the tray and blow it out the exhaust, but that does not always work in high humidity situations, the issue is the drain plug is only about 2-3 inches above floor level, so when it must be drained we have to use shallow baking pans which easily slosh over when full to drain it.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=chawkins99;5499247]I bought this unit from Lowes.

Still needs to vent outside (they all do).

We bought it because our 2 existing roof units were struggling with our Florida heat. So far, works great.

We bought the same unit because we could not get a replacement for our dying front AC a couple of months ago. The unit sure helped but in no way is as good as the new replacement roof one. There is plenty of noise and it does take up some space. I managed to plumb it out the slide window without looking bad. With the new roof AC that we finally got things are much better now and we do not need the third one.

I too did a bit of rewiring so it would not blow breakers.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
US1

A buddy bought one of those portable AC units that also has heat, for the garage part of his toyhauler for the times we traveled with them before we bought our RV. It worked great! It'll run you out with the heat, and freeze you out when in AC mode. Vents it out a side window. Takes 30 seconds to set up.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #9

Thank you can you share what kind of unit you purchase?
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #10

Yes I do, in many countries where the fuel is very expensive the buses and tractor trailers only use cameras instead mirrors, it's safe up to 4% a fuel efficiency.

I'm not worried about that, fuell is very reasonable in USA.

I just believe can be done better than that.
Do you see boxes on the top of a passenger bus?
Old 10-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqueb View Post
Yes I do, in many countries where the fuel is very expensive the buses and tractor trailers only use cameras instead mirrors, it's safe up to 4% a fuel efficiency.

I'm not worried about that, fuell is very reasonable in USA.

I just believe can be done better than that.
Do you see boxes on the top of a passenger bus?
Passenger buses don't plug into pedestals and sit for weeks with the A/C on.
I guess if aorodynamics is your priority a box on the roof maybe a liabilty but if keeping cool is your priority that box on the roof is invaluable.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #12

….I am still trying to get my head around "how much drag is produced at 80 MPH" comment.....who drives 80MPH anyway?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #13

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-...2DHP/206409460
Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #14

An air conditioner IS a de-humidifier by definition. Chilled air was a useless side effect when the first dehumidifier was invented. Mr. Carrier built on that and designed an air conditioner for home use.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner