Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
Some campgrounds prohibit wood fire during fire season. Other RV parks do not allow wood burning fire pits or fire rings. With a propane campfire you do not have to buy wood or haul wood to enjoy a fire.

I carry my Campfire in a Can in the storage bay of our motor home. I can enjoy an evening with the wife and friends around a fire. YMMV
But you do have to buy propane and haul propane, so no free ride here.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
But you do have to buy propane and haul propane, so no free ride here.
True you have to buy and haul propane, But if you are camping somewhere that has a open burn ban in effect you can have a propane fire but not a wood fire. We like open wood fires better,but I'd rather have a propane fire than No fire.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious have you run into campgrounds banning them? I was thinking it would be nice to have one for those resorts that don't have fire rings. And just curious, but how do the "anti-fire" folks feel about them - are the annoying to those folks? I would think that they don't put off much smoke or ask (obviously)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
We use our propane fire a lot during cool evening Happy Hours. Also have cooked brats over the flames. But they do consume considerable propane. The manufacturer claims up to 11 hours on a 20 lb tank. I tend to get a bit more since I usually keep the flame low. I find the cost is less than what we use to spend on campground wood bundles and many parks no longer offer fireplaces. On Vancouver island fires are banned most of the Summer but these propane fireplaces are allowed. Nice to be able to turn it off and go to bed without worry.

Because of the high propane consumption I decided to use a dedicated 20 lb tank for the fire pit rather than connect it to the motorhome tank, it's much easier to take the small tank for a refill.
Be careful using those pretty propane firepits in the Alberni Valley. The park people would not allow us to use our propane firepits at either Stamp Falls, Little Qualicum, or Sproat Lake. This was a couple of years ago and I have never spent time in these parks since. Besides I am not a huge fan of spending upwards of 39 bucks to boondock.

BTW I got the same firepit unit as was pictured above but from Canadian Tire here on the Island. Got it on sale just about four Septembers ago at their end of summer sales.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've not been in any campground that bans them, but I've been in campground that banned campfires due to dry conditions. The propane campfire was considered the same as a propane grill & as such was allowed. They put off absolutely no smoke, unless you're cooking over one & drip grease or some such thing on the ceramic logs. I don't cook over mine because I don't want to mess up the logs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
We have a Frontier Campfire. Most realistic look we've found. Has fireplace logs, and came with a support ring and cooking wok. People stop and check because it looks so real. Not the cheapest, now made of stainless, but we love ours. Added fireplace glass around edge for added bling!😜👍🏻
Where did you get your fire pit? Looking for a nice one that we can enjoy around.

Sent from my SM-N920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcretired View Post
Where did you get your fire pit? Looking for a nice one that we can enjoy around.

Sent from my SM-N920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
All the google links I found say it is discontinued.
The one I bought at Lowes I posted above works Great and for about 99 bucks is priced right also.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpnc View Post
All the google links I found say it is discontinued.

The one I bought at Lowes I posted above works Great and for about 99 bucks is priced right also.

We got it from VIPRV.com, but that was three years ago.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #23

We bought one of these:

Hot-Pots – A portable wood pellet campfire

I originally bought it to carry in my Land Cruiser on our off-road trips but we like it so well it now lives in the motorhome. It burns wood pellets. One 40 lb. bag lasts 4 evenings. Much easier to haul than firewood, and cheaper than propane.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #24

We carry a 20lbs propane tank, the new fiberglass lighter weight kind. Used for a few reasons:
1) Webber Q
2) The Amazing Firepit in a Can
3) Lantern
4) Available if needed as extra LP for the coach

Our coach now only has one demand for LP, and that is the 3 burner stove. (Removed the Norcold 1200 awhile back. And HydroHot handles water and heating duties.). We do have both the ExtendaStay and also have it stubbed out to hook up a LP hose too.

We usually run the Webber off of the coach tank. We sometimes will also run the Amazing Campfire in a Can off of the coach tank too, especially if we're sitting in a light drizzle under the patio awning.

Probably 80% + of the time we use the 20lb tank.

One unique place we took the Amazing Campfire in a Can and the LP bottle, was to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We piece a place along the upper edge trail, took our chairs, and tripod and watched and the sunset taking multiple pictures. Up O'Too'Early, and 33 degrees outside, and headed back to same spot, this time fortified with a thermos of coffee and Kaluah(SP?), and really huddled close to the Amazing Campfire in a Can! Same tripod location, and got he same shots as the night before, contrasting how the Sunset and Sunrise looked. Was a neat sunrise, as almost a full moon was in some of the early shots towards too. (We merged the Sunrise and Sunset pictures into a panorama that we have in one our rooms. One our favorite all times pictures!)

And while the Amazing Campfire in a Can certainly was not mandatory, as the coffee and Kahlua was, it certainly added to our enjoyment.

Many more times then not, the propane fire pits are allowed then not, when wood fires are banned. At least the places we've been to.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #25

Thats cool,But if you are in a place with a fire Ban You can't use it. You can use a propane one though. No smoke ,no sparks,no smoke.We have been at Daytona Bike week camping numerous times whe they had burn bans and I wish I had had a propane campfire. It was cold and a warm fire to si by and drink would have been nice.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what we use hooked to a 20# bottle. The pit came with the red lava rocks, we added the fireplace logs, the higher you stack them, the higher the fire.........as the flames wonder up through the pile..... It came with a heavy duty cover, so when we are done with it, after cooled down, put it on a slide tray.........gone. On damp nights we use it under the awning........warms it up nicely under it........
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
We bought one of these:

Hot-Pots – A portable wood pellet campfire

I originally bought it to carry in my Land Cruiser on our off-road trips but we like it so well it now lives in the motorhome. It burns wood pellets. One 40 lb. bag lasts 4 evenings. Much easier to haul than firewood, and cheaper than propane.
That is neat! Does it have anyway of snuffing it out with a lid if you want to stop before the pellets have finished burning?

While I'm happy with he Amazing Campfire in a Can, I do prefer wood fires. (We buy wood at places like Home Depot and Lower, or local side of the road homes, when in an area that allows wood fires.).

Thanks for sharing this...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

We carry a 20lbs propane tank, the new fiberglass lighter weight kind.
Hopefully your fiberglass tank is made by Viking versus Lite. The latter had an emergency recall back in May 2013.

Lite Cylinder Company Recall

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, propane