RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Carrying/Storing a propane tank in your toad is not a good idea. The propane tank will self vent if it gets too hot or the elevation change is too much.

A case in point, the 2nd tank on my travel trailer was filled at 1,000'. In Yellowstone at ~6,000' it was venting excess pressure.

Your toad will get awful warm inside. I hate to see your dome light providing the ignition to a propane filled toad.

There are a lot of ways to die. Avoid the obvious ones.
Agreed.
It never ceases to amaze me of all the folks out there know something is illegal, know it is potentially dangerous and do it just the same. Things like this makes we wish motorhomes would be required to go through inspection stations for evaluation. But that's not happening so I will just continue to scratch my head. And I am a less regulation kinda guy.
Life is too short and I don't want to do things that make it even shorter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rather than regulations, I prefer education -- but then there is no fixing stupid. (I use stupid to mean those capable of learning who choose not to learn safe handling practices.). Then there's the "I've always done it this way" types.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
adding an auxilliary portable tank

We use our rig in winter months (occasional family visits) and would like to add an auxilliary portable tank to supply the coach furnace in the event our 20 gal LP runs dry. Is there a specific kit with a T fitting, regulator, quick disconnect option that I can install?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanRO View Post
We use our rig in winter months (occasional family visits) and would like to add an auxilliary portable tank to supply the coach furnace in the event our 20 gal LP runs dry. Is there a specific kit with a T fitting, regulator, quick disconnect option that I can install?
There are a number of "Extend-A-Stay" kits by Marshall, Camco and others you can buy but these have a problem. As part of the unit there is one or more flow limiters incorporated in the design. If you have a large coach with multiple heaters, when both heaters are on the flow limiter will set and you'll have no heat. This is what happens on my coach. I removed the coach regulator, put a brass T between the regulator and the coach shut off valve. I then added a shutoff valve and a 4' rubber high pressure LP hose. At the end I put an Acme connector to connect to the portable bottles. Although the Acme fittings come in various colors, the color actually shows the flow limiter BTU flow limit. Despite getting the highest rated one I could find, the flow limit in mine would set when both furnace turned on. I got fed up with it and drilled the flow limiter out. Now my system works fine.

My procedure is to shut off the RV installed tank valve, make sure the T valve is off, hook up the bottle and turn it on, then SLOWLY open my T valve. Shut down is just the opposite. A caution: When you put the T between the RV valve and RV regulator it may push the regulator beyond the steel piece that serves as a base for the regulator cover. You need to extend this steel piece so the cover has a base. This will protect the regulator vent from weather and splashed water/dirt. I added a piece of 1/16" plate to mine.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #19

How much gas do you guys use on your grills? I use the throw aways and usually find them on sale at Walmart. Hasn't been a problem so far. Personally I don't like the idea of hauling a potential bomb around with me.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
It never ceases to amaze me of all the folks out there know something is illegal, know it is potentially dangerous and do it just the same. Things like this makes we wish motorhomes would be required to go through inspection stations for evaluation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Rather than regulations, I prefer education -- but then there is no fixing stupid. (I use stupid to mean those capable of learning who choose not to learn safe handling practices.). Then there's the "I've always done it this way" types.
While I'm not advocating the storage of a propane tank in a toad, transporting it in an RV's basement storage is a different story entirely, and some of the comments here are bordering on the absurd. What do people do that own BBQs at home but no pickup? Rent a truck to fill or exchange their 20# tank? I don't believe that I've ever seen a motorhome with a 20# tank strapped to the back bumper, and very few have "vented" storage; so what are they doing with their portable tank (remember, can't be carried in a passenger area)? Carrying a portable propane tank ANYWHERE is relatively safe if precautions are taken to make sure that it is secured and is not subjected to temperature extremes. If those two conditions are met, then "venting" gas is not going to happen. At some point, common sense needs to apply.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
How much gas do you guys use on your grills? I use the throw aways and usually find them on sale at Walmart. Hasn't been a problem so far. Personally I don't like the idea of hauling a potential bomb around with me.
If I'm camping for just one night, I use the throw-aways as well, but for longer stays, I hook my BBQ up to the MH. I find that my portable grille burns slightly hotter and much more consistent hooked up than it does with the throw-aways.

I see very little difference (bomb-wise) between the fixed tank "on" my MH and the portable tank "in" my motorhome, and in fact the portable is turned off and not actively feeding gas throughout the RV like the fixed tank is. So unless you have an all-electric RV, you're still carrying a potential bomb around with you.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #22
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
I think we will just continue to use the small disposable tanks. Much easier, safer and less worry.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
So unless you have an all-electric RV, you're still carrying a potential bomb around with you.
There is risk in everything we do, especially in anything fun. The trick is managing that risk in such away as to be as safe as possible with destroying the experience.

Personally I think we are too quick to blame others when something goes wrong. How much have the liability costs raised the price of EVERYTHING we purchase?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #24

OP here. I have no interest in using gas from the main tank. It is only 35 gallons, which translates to 28 gallons of gas, which is used up quickly enough camping in cold weather.

So far as the dangers of built-in tanks: I think it is significant that the built-in tank on the motorhome is in the open – it is fastened to the chassis but there is no floor below it – and gas cannot concentrate, whereas the portable could be carried in a confined area where propane could concentrate to potentially explosive levels.

But I will probably end up carrying a mostly empty tank in the trunk of the toad in winter. Minimal chance of venting and fire, and no one occupying the vehicle while the tank is in the trunk. In summer when heat on the tank in a hot car is more of an issue, I see no need for the fire pit.

Thanks for the replies.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank