Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #29

Quincy reply

Have sent 3 e-mails to Blue Ox to get info. have not had any reply. Thanks
arkslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #30

possible mistake-UPDATE

After using several lub. products and soaking 2 days (as recomended) I was able to get the arm to come out with some not so gentle pounding with a lardge hammer. I then sanded the rod untill all the rough places went away. greased it and slid it back and got it stuck about 21/2in away from going in completely. It will slide out and lock ok and does not stick if I do not try to push it in all the way. I think the rod may be bent? May look into trade in found 100 rebate on trading. Seemed to be rather involved and long process. Many thanks to all who provided help
Old 04-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkslim View Post
May look into trade in found 100 rebate on trading. Seemed to be rather involved and long process. Many thanks to all who provided help
If you can trade it in, that's definitely your best option.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #32

....like most manufacturers, I doubt if any of B/Os written or expressed liabilities or warrantees extend beyond the original owner. B/O does have a fairly aggressive trade-in policy--probably motivated by their desire to get as many of their older tow bars out of circulation as possible. You can only imagine the potential exposure based on all the used and abused bars that 2nd and 3rd owners are still using....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re THE WD suggestion...... Someone posted a video to You Tube. Different methods of freeing up a frozen nut and how good were they

Liquid Wrench was the best Chemical method.. Heat the best over all.

I'd use LW rather than WD which by the way came in last.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Was this a new Blue Ox tow bar? We currently dolly tow our Toyota, but plan to buy 4 down vehicle. Have been looking different tow bar set-ups & was looking closely at Blue Ox system. Does anyone else have problems with Blue Ox?
I'm on my second year using Blue Ox system to tow our 2017 Lincoln MKT and I absolutely love it. I've never had a problem unhooking or hooking up even when on an angle.
Skipper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Re THE WD suggestion...... Someone posted a video to You Tube. Different methods of freeing up a frozen nut and how good were they

Liquid Wrench was the best Chemical method.. Heat the best over all.

I'd use LW rather than WD which by the way came in last.
Absolutely MR. wa8xym WD 40 is little more than a cleaner. That is why I question those who spray it on leveler pistons and things like that.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 AM   #36

As advised, best to have Blue Ox go through it and tell you if it is salvageable or not. Bad news, is there have been several posts stating that if Blue Ox "condemns" one of their tow bars after inspecting it, they will refuse to send it back to you, even though it is still your property.

If your tow bar is deemed to be not repairable, and you are looking into purchasing another, whether new or used, I suggest you google "tow bar failures" and do some research into which brand(s) feature more prominently in the results. One will stand out by a significant margin.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I've used three different types. They all have their ups and downs. Good luck in your repair/search!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have the same tow bar and use it to tow our Saturn Vue...

One passenger side arm is welded to the hitch piece and cannot pivot, this is normal. The other arm does pivot with a bolt.

The telescoping tubes on both arms should move in/out if the levers are held in.. When the levers are released, the tubes should lock in the fully extended positions..

Parts are available to repair the bar. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, Blue Ox will inspect and repair / or replace (at a reasonable charge)

Heres a manual for the bar:

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/BlueOx_BX4330.pdf

Parts are available, the bushings will swell inside of the tube. DO NOT USE OIL!!! That causes the bushings to swell. My Roadmaster locked up closed. I installed new bushings for $35 and it is like new. Spray silicone on the bars and wipe them down before storing.
A tow dolly will come close to make you stop RVing!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTEDO NOT USE OIL!!!][/QUOTE]

Correct.. I keep a can of Silicon spray in the toad just for the bar.. I give it a squirt, also the pins and the electrical connectors and plugs when I hook it up.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
If it were me , I'd drench it with WD. and let it sit for a day or two. Then tap it this way and that and make it move. Most likely got water in it.

I have the same bar with 40K on it and works great.

Mike
Nothing will restore that towbar, he said that side is welded in place, even with the sliding bar moving , it's junk. The trade-in he mentioned is his best option.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Was this a new Blue Ox tow bar? We currently dolly tow our Toyota, but plan to buy 4 down vehicle. Have been looking different tow bar set-ups & was looking closely at Blue Ox system. Does anyone else have problems with Blue Ox?

We have had a B+ and now class A, we flat two our four-door Jeep and love our Blue Ox (I think we have the Alpha), easy to hook-up, very secure, and never had a problem. I would recommend in a heartbeat.

We also have the Blue Ox Patriot breaking system.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #41

I had the tow bar checked and thhe arm is bent. Could be straightened? but questionable. SOLUTION: Have ordered an Alpha model decided not to take a chance on repairing. Anyone want a slightly used tow bar. Can make you a good deal?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Nothing will restore that towbar, he said that side is welded in place, even with the sliding bar moving , it's junk. The trade-in he mentioned is his best option.
On the ball hitch version of the tow bar, the factory welds one arm where it attaches to the ball hitch, thats normal. Both arms can pivot, the arm thats welded pivots at the ball hitch, not the bolt. the other arm pivots at the bolt.

On the tow bar version that inserts into the receiver, the arms both pivot at the bolts
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote